My new tire carrier.

RonL

Adventurer
I just finished my D90 style tire carrier. It swings on a parallel link set-up for the tire and the gas can is on it's own swing arm with a wingnut.
DSCF4016.JPG
DSCF4006.JPG
DSCF4017.JPG

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Can you explain the "parallel link" portion a bit more? I'm not quite following from the pictures.

Thanks

RonL

Adventurer
Parallel linkage lets you open the door and have the tire carrier swing with it.
Look at the picture, the threaded rod link keeps the door and tire carrier arm parellal when opening the door.
DSCF3999.JPG

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Well done.

Did you mimic another design, or use specific measurements?

Again, well done.

RonL

Adventurer
I got the idea from Defender 90 tire carrier, but did not have any D90 to measure. I did some general layout work in AutoCad, but all of the parts were made without drawings. I growup on a farm and I am an Engineer by trade, so I can figure most things out more easily.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Wow! That really looks good I Like the tire and door and how they swing together. The added surfae on the bumper will be nice when your unloading the roof rack. Where did you get the AL panel from I only ever see the AL diamond plate here.

Aaron

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Can you explain the "parallel link" portion a bit more? I'm not quite following from the pictures.

Thanks

Perhaps this analogy might help. When two people move together in ballroom dancing they are moving as one until there not but for the sake of explanation his door is dancer 1 and the the fat guy (tire) is dancer 2 they move in the same horizontal plane together in harmony or something like that.

Aaron

BigAl

Expedition Leader
Perhaps this analogy might help. When two people move together in ballroom dancing they are moving as one until there not but for the sake of explanation his door is dancer 1 and the the fat guy (tire) is dancer 2 they move in the same horizontal plane together in harmony or something like that.

Aaron

You should write technical manuals, that actually made sense:sombrero:

RonL

Adventurer
I bought the Alum 5bar plate out of CO. I can't remember the name of the place. 5bar is hard to find.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne