Bronco?

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
I currently drive a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 but it is also my daily driver that gets me to school and back.
I also have in my possession a 1990 Ford Bronco that currently just sits there...
I am thinking of bring my Tacoma back to stock, maybe with the front coilovers for leveling; but, I would make the Bronco in to my new toy.
How good would a Bronco be for a short trip Expedition Rig? Maybe a week tops on each trip.
1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer(sp?) 4x4 with the 5.8l 351 and a brand new E4OD with around 10 miles on it. We also put some Warn Manual Locking Hubs on the front.

bronconite

Observer
I have a '92 Bronco and think it would make a great platform, especially if you take the rear seat out. I almost went this route myself but decided to set up an F250 as my camping vehicle so I can eventually tow the Bronco on wheeling excursions.

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
I don't see a problem with using your Bronco as base for an expo rig. I agree about removing the rear seat, gives lots more room. I'd get a better swing-away carrier in the rear, though, something that can hold a jerry-can or two, besides a spare.

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
I was looking at it and thinking about removing the back seat too.
First I just need to bleed the brakes and get some new tires, the old ones are about to burst from dry rot.
My Bronco also came with factory 4.11 gears and quad shocks up front. What do you guys think of this?

kjp1969

Explorer
That's what I'm doing with my '95. I'm keeping the rear seat for the kids, though. With a factory 33 gallon gas tank, there's really no need for Jerry cans - on my last trip someone pointed out that the Bronco held almost twice the fuel of a Toyota. I've been getting 12-15mpg depending on the trip, for a very comfortable range of 350 miles/tank. Not bad, I think.

Another nice thing is parts cost and availability. If the auto parts store doesn't have a fan belt or a radiator hose for a Ford truck, its not an auto parts store. And it seems like every gardener in town drives an early '90's F-series truck, so parts are cheap.

Downsides? It's a Ford, so everything rattles. The full size width isn't always convenient on overgrown trails. It's a '95, so it isn't new.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
They came with quad shocks up front because TTB's need either a lot of poor damping or some very good damping. I'd look into what Autofab.com (long time off road racer with more TTB experience than 90% of any forum) sells for shocks and determine what you need from there. With not much work and a little research that suspension can be made to work exceptionally well. It's not bad as is.
Don't let the FSB forum convince you that TTB's are junk and that you need a live axle. That's hogwash for the use. A TTB will offer superior ride quality over a live axle.

Second removing the OE tire carrier. Those that attach to the body eventually tear up the body. Most pre-runner types put the spare inside, but that isn't going in the right direction for Expo use.

kjp1969

Explorer
Second removing the OE tire carrier. Those that attach to the body eventually tear up the body. Most pre-runner types put the spare inside, but that isn't going in the right direction for Expo use.

I plan on keeping the tire carrier until it gives me problems. 119k miles and mine is still fine. I wouldn't mount up a bunch of extra weight on it, though. If you bounce it against its stops (when it is open) you can see it flex the sheet metal.

bucketosudz

Explorer
Another good source for parts and ideas for the Broncos is Jeffs Bronco Graveyard. Ted Nugent has several Broncos and swears by them. They are easily modified and there is a pretty good aftermarket support for them. I have a 90 F250 Ext Cab with a 460/E40D, 87-91 Fords were Great years but have there downfalls also.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I plan on keeping the tire carrier until it gives me problems. 119k miles and mine is still fine. I wouldn't mount up a bunch of extra weight on it, though. If you bounce it against its stops (when it is open) you can see it flex the sheet metal.
Street miles or dirt?
It's the washboard that really tears things up. I once read that the number one complaint that the Forest Service had with their full size Broncos was that the tire carriers failed early.

Sport-Trac 01

Adventurer
Okay, I think brakes and tires would be a good first step. Forget I said anything about the tire carrier. If you are looking for any ideas about the TTB, look through Fourwheeler.com's Fiery Redhead project truck, they upgraded the TTB instead of swapping in a live axle. It was one of the earliest things they did on the truck though, so it'll be a ways back.

kjp1969

Explorer
Street miles or dirt?
It's the washboard that really tears things up. I once read that the number one complaint that the Forest Service had with their full size Broncos was that the tire carriers failed early.

Street miles, I'm sure (I've only had it for 5k or so). The forest service may be hard on trucks, the Border Patrol more so. A border patrol guy told me all the different ways the Bronco roofs come apart. It sounds like nothing short of H1's are tough enough for that job. My trips are 95% highway with a little dirt thrown in. I'm just saying, for the price of a proper bumper and tire carrier, I'll wait and see how how or if it fails before doing anything about it.

bronconite

Observer
The front quad shocks are part of the tow package. 4.11s are not very common, most all are 3.55s, consider yourself lucky. You can run 33s on it with no lift and no need to regear with 4.11s.
As was already mentioned, the D44 TTB is a fine axle used within its limitations. I'm a member at FSB and some will talk a lot of ********** about the TTB but there's no need to upgrade until it's not performing the way you want. Check it out www.fullsizebronco.com and read through the technical writeups section. There is lots of great stuff in there.

TacoTraveler

Adventurer
The front quad shocks are part of the tow package. 4.11s are not very common, most all are 3.55s, consider yourself lucky. You can run 33s on it with no lift and no need to regear with 4.11s.
As was already mentioned, the D44 TTB is a fine axle used within its limitations. I'm a member at FSB and some will talk a lot of ********** about the TTB but there's no need to upgrade until it's not performing the way you want. Check it out www.fullsizebronco.com and read through the technical writeups section. There is lots of great stuff in there.

How much flexing would I have with 33s and no lift?
I was thinking of either doing the 1.5" leveling coils or the 2.5" lift from Rough Country. Maybe one of JBG's smaller lifts. I just want to fit some nice wide tires to glide this full size across this Florida sand. I'm thinking 33x15.5...

Last edited:

bronconite

Observer
How much flexing would I have with 33s and no lift?
I was thinking of either doing the 1.5" leveling coils or the 2.5" lift from Rough Country. Maybe one of JBG's smaller lifts. I just want to fit some nice wide tires to glide this full size across this Florida sand. I'm thinking 33x15.5...

The TTB does limit your ability to flex but I don't think it's that bad. Look through this thread for some flexed up poser pics. http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121353&highlight=rausch+creek&page=4 The black Bronco is mine on 33X12.5 BFGs on stock suspension. The Green Bronco is on 35X12.5s with a 4" lift. The red F150 is on 33X12.5s with a 4" lift.

If you want to go with a 15.5" tire I'm pretty sure you'll want to be using extended radius arms and I'm pretty sure that means a 4" lift unless you build some yourself.

You shouldn't need a whole lot of flex running around on the beach should you?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne