slider placement

Loober

Adventurer
I will be getting some sliders here in the near future. My question is what is the correct way to mount them.

Should they be even with the bottom of the frame rail? Or tuck up underneath the cab?

I also see on pictures that most are slightly angled up, about 15 degrees or so. I guess that is to better protect the body

If their purpose is to help "slide" over rocks then even with frame and straight out would make more sense, but would look funny.

If they are meant to more protect the body then mounting them so they hug the body would make more sense and also look better

interested in hearing your responses.

Thanks

Photog

Explorer
Usually sliders protect the rocker panels from damage, when your front tire passes over a large rock, and the truck is not tall enough to straddle that rock. Also, if turning a tight corner, you may rub a tree or rock with a body panel, and the sliders are there to protect your rig. If they are too close to the body, they flex and be forced into the body, causing damage.

What vehicle do you have?

mr.trd

Adventurer
If they are bolt on sliders, they will be placed on the bracket for you so you won't have to worry about anything. Just bolt up and go.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I think the answer is a bit of both. You want them to protect, but at the same time you want them as "low profile" as possible so they don't catch and hang on everything. They serve to protect you from coming down on a rock (the bottom protection), as well as to allow you to pivot around a rock or tree (the side protection) if you cannot avoid it all together.

And the other factor is whether you want them to function as a step, in which case a flatter design that extends outward from the rocker is better.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
My slider have saved me about $2500 to date and the Skidplates pretty much priceless in the amount they have saved over the years. Slider are for body protection and optional high lift point (but for God sakes know what your doing). My wife initially thought they were to replace the running boards I removed, I politely explained that they do help you get in but keep the trees and rocks out as they do have a formal invitation into the vehicle.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz