Need a real axe

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
the key with a good axe (from my trail maintenance days) is weight and handle length. Other than that as long as their not cheap chinese then you can sharpen accordingly and generally have a good axe. I'd take a second rate 3.5lb 30" or 36" handled axle over an expensive short axe any day of the week.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
gransfors bruks axes are the best I've ever used hands down. they're more expensive than most but are worth the money.

Absolutely the truth. But what would you expect for a company that has been around for centuries. to own a Gransfors axe is to own a mercedes. I personally have 2. the wildlife hatchet is what I take on all my canoe tirps. It is designed to do it all from cut small wood to skin a kill. By far the best camping tool I own. I also have a larger one I forget the model. I have been using it for about 8 years now on the river. So far I can say after having used the axe well over 200 times over the years it is well worth the $400 I gave for it.

For a cheap axe I like the Eastwing. Designed to take a true beating and for an all steel tool it actually has decent balance. My only grip is the wieght. A large eastwing will wear your butt out!

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
X3 on the Gerber/Fiskars

make me 4.........I have the larger version, as I use a machete for the small stuff

I love east wing hammers, but wanted a decent swing with the axe.

The shaft is extremely light and the head is high quality steel, a chinese head would weigh more....but you can get a higher velocity with this one.

Weight- my shovel is fiberglass and my pick/adz too, weather proof as well

Sign me up for composites for large tool shafts

hovenator

Explorer
I love both my Fiskars axe and hatchet. I also recently purchased a Pulaski from Northern Tool for like $25. That thing is a solid heavy beast!

Attachments

• pulaski1.jpg
    pulaski1.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
X3 on the Gerber/Fiskars

I own the Axe and the Hatchet. They are the best Axes I ever used. Everyone I camp with loves using them also, even though they all have thier own.

Mine stay in the vehicle, so I'm sot sure about the rust.

100_1288.jpg

I can only imagine what would happen to the axe on the right should you be in a rollover.

Layonnn

Adventurer
The fiskars comes in a chopping or splitting variety. Which is better for both activities. As in, which one is the better all around axe. I went to buy this weekend and didn't know.

Something

Adventurer
The fiskars comes in a chopping or splitting variety. Which is better for both activities. As in, which one is the better all around axe. I went to buy this weekend and didn't know.

I guess that depends on your intended use, but I'd go with the chopper if you're getting one to have one.

IH8RDS

Explorer
I just use a true temper wood cutting axe. Can cut all day long with it. It has a plastic moulded handle and a nice wedge designed into it. After I went through a couple wood handles and the vibrations associated with them, I bought this one. Picked it up a Lowe's 6 years ago and couldn't be happier.

Something

Adventurer
It would... stay right where it is. It's in a holster, tied to the vehicle.

Michael

Not that I disagree with you, but I also thought about this....

What would you expect a 200lb man in the drivers seat to do in a rollver accident?

Your answer probably isn't fly through the windshield and land 100 feet from the vehicle......food for thought.

Not that I disagree with you, but I also thought about this....

What would you expect a 200lb man in the drivers seat to do in a rollver accident?

Your answer probably isn't fly through the windshield and land 100 feet from the vehicle......food for thought.

Was that driver wearing a seatbelt and contained behind a metal "cage"?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles