Looking for a Good Swag

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Guy's,

I have been looking for a good swag for a trip across the Simpson & a week or two around Alice Springs. I will be with several others on PradoPoint and will be a passenger in a vehicle as well as driving a rental Prado, so space is limited.
I am seeking a swag for the OZ experience and to bring back 'up above' for a souvenir.

For some of those who don't know what a swag is...It's a small canvas combination between a tent, sleeping bag & bed-roll. They run from $130 to $360 (US).

Here are my choices. Please let me know your thoughts and keep in mind I will be living in this thing for about 20 days.

Thanks,

-Ben

1) My favorite and front runner is the Mr. Swagman Deluxe, It's a nice Swag W/ a nice 70 mm sleeping pad, looks well built & has a nice rain fly.

but the $550 (OZ) is about $350 (US)....OUCH!!

18-l.jpg

2) OZ Trail, Mitchel. It looks well built and has a lot of the features of the Mr. Swagman Deluxe, but is a more reasonable $250

d8cbf63f89581f23522594d6ad366b13.jpg

3) Onland Country (AKA 3-pole), It's a nice looking traditional Swag. and reasonably priced @ $270.

country_dome_kit.jpg

4) I also like the look and functionality of the Burke & Willis Coolabah $400 (~$370 eBay), but not as excited. looking for a little input.

ad9d_3.JPG

jcbrandon

Explorer
...For some of those who don't know what a swag is...

That would be me :) I've always heard "swag" as slang for souvenirs, mementos, stuff you get at tradeshows and expositions. Always happy to learn a new use for an old word. And in case anybody has been searching the tags on this site for sleeping gear and finding a bunch of stickers and t-shirts, feel free to blame me.

So, is an Aussie swag the same as a bivvy tent?

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Thanks SoCal. but I'm looking at having it sent to a friends house in OZ and he will ship back when I'm done. I need my suitcase for a shopping spree at ARB. :bike_rider:

-Ben

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Well, the front runner on Prado Point is the Mr. Swagman, but I am pushed for time as there are a few on eBay I am watching.

-Ben

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
These look like canvas bivvy tents to me as well. What's the difference?

Well, If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.......

The swags pictured above are definitely a top of the line model. They are usually as simple as a 'bed roll' with a thin foam mattress (pictured below) or the deluxe swags above. They usually have an 'egg crate' foam mattress built into the floor, and are made to be 'critter proof' (nothing like sleeping with a king brown). traditionally (and all the ones I have shopped for) are made of 10-14 oz canvas.

I definitely want to purchase one in OZ and have shipped to my mates house.

-Ben

Dingo_1.jpg

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I'm curious, why this style? I've tried this style and there is no room (obvious) and they get clammy real fast. Why not a 2 or 3 man pack packing tent from Mountain Hardware or similar?

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I'm curious, why this style? I've tried this style and there is no room (obvious) and they get clammy real fast. Why not a 2 or 3 man pack packing tent from Mountain Hardware or similar?

I already have several tents including a Fleetwood Evolution pop up, RTT, a packable 2 man tent, and even a nice 14 man 3 room tent I affectionately call the Taj Mahal.

I'm looking for a swag to bring back as a souvenir. I have always liked them and want to have a nice OZ experience (I'm a sure of you would do the same...when in Rome?). I also live on the east coast, so a lot of wheeling is flying to Arizona, meeting with a friend to wheel. This will be a nice packable tent with a good quality mattress to take along on such trips for years to come.

-Ben

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I'm looking for a swag to bring back as a souvenir. I have always liked them and want to have a nice OZ experience (I'm a sure of you would do the same...when in Rome?). I also live on the east coast, so a lot of wheeling is flying to Arizona, meeting with a friend to wheel. This will be a nice packable tent with a good quality mattress to take along on such trips for years to come.

-Ben
That's cool, the tent I tried didn't have a built in mattress. How is the humidity in OZ vs. east coast? That is the biggest down side I see. I don't mean to rain on your parade:) They do look expoish:)

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
That's cool, the tent I tried didn't have a built in mattress. How is the humidity in OZ vs. east coast? That is the biggest down side I see. I don't mean to rain on your parade:) They do look expoish:)

I will be 'gong down' from mid June to mid July, so it will be winter. Crossing the Simpson will have no humidity and day time temps around 20 (c), and 4 (c), at night. The rain will be minimal, but there is always a chance.

-Ben

BiG BoB

Adventurer
I'd go for a swag that doesn't need too many pegs beaten in to work, something you can just unrol and climb into drunk.

A good feature is a flap to stand on to take your shoes off before climbing in, saves bringing sand in on your feet.

Sean

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I used the Oz-whatever one alot when I lived there (looks like the same model but this was a-while ago). I liked it alot. Also had an OLD as the hills model (not sure of the brand) and after a can of scotch-guard it was good as new. Waterproofing is obviously not as big a concern down there, but the overall build of these things is something to marvel at. Basicly if it's used heavily in teh bush, it's made to last ;)

Sounds like you're going to have an awesome trip. the Simpson is awesome and Alice is a trip. When I was there it seemed to me that the population trippled when the sun wen't down. I was trying to figure out where all these folks were hiding during the day.

Honestly the humidity is a non-issue as far as I was concerned, it was commonly around 115+ in the QLD where I lived but it was a dry heat. Teh simpson adn Alice will be alot the same. Be ready to wear pants, long sleves and a hat at all times.

Cheers and happy travels mate

Dave

Last edited:

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
Thanks Dave,

I will keep searching for a good Swag. i actually e-mailed Mr. Swagman and he gave me a good discount.

I think I will go for that one and bring it back for a friend to look at importing them.

-Ben

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Go with Mr. Swagman

Thanks Dave,

I will keep searching for a good Swag. i actually e-mailed Mr. Swagman and he gave me a good discount.

I think I will go for that one and bring it back for a friend to look at importing them.

-Ben

Ben,
I've been looking at quite a few Swags over the last months. I've got a bit of a facination with them becaue there's nothing that screams heading bush than a swag strapped to the roof or in the back of the ute. You see it quite often driving home after work on Friday afternoons and I dig it.

My observations are that like anything else you get what you pay for. I've looked at the cheapies and I would not trust them for a 20 day trip. One or two nights here and there ok. The more expensive models use top notch materials, are well constructed and will last you a lifetime if well cared for. I saw a few of the Mr. Swagman first hand and if it were me, that's where I'd put my money. :costumed-smiley-007

Hopefully we can meet up for a cold one...

Cheers,
P
Aussie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94