Rear tire carrier bumpers? Love em Hate em?

toy_tek

Adventurer
You don't need a grease nipple on the spindle of the Irbis - he has a machined threaded aluminum cap that seals the top from any moisture. Unless its underwater, you'll never get water up inside there. I took mine apart after 8 months of dusty use, and the grease was still clean.

The swing out removes in about 5 minutes if not needed. Remove aluminum cap, remove cotter pin, remove locknut, remove swingout, remove both bearings.

There is a spring loaded shoot bolt that locks the swing out closed, as well as a tension latch to keep it from rattling or moving. When open, there is another spring loaded shoot bolt that holds it open. Pull up on either shoot bolt to disengage.

dustboy

Explorer
Also, if you're doing some hardcore rockcrawling, you need to remove the tire from the carrier. I didn't, and my truck slipped backward off a waterfall and mashed the spare tire on a big rock. It bent up the tire mounting plate, where the studs are welded to.

Sounds like the spare saved the back of your truck!

truck mechanic

Adventurer
I built my own for my 72 Scout, I cant imagine any of my future trucks not having one. The only thing I would change on the one I built is to have twin swing out. Having one makes for a long swing out that sticks out kind of far when open. I will be building the next one for my 74 IH 200 with twins, I also put a way to lock it open so when I sleep in the truck I can get out in the am and know the swing out is not in my way.
Paul

preacherman

Explorer
I built mine last year and really like it. In fact I am modifying it this weekend to do a few more things I want it to do. My only complaint is I used the wrong latch to begin with. It would sometime come open while driving down the road (not good). Other than that I love mine. It has a tire carrier, place for my high lift and a shovel holder. I am also thinking about adding a small ammo can for storage.

Here is a pic of mine
DSC_0199.jpg

DSC_0203.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hey just saw this recently. Same bar but he can interchange between the Jerrycan and a 2nd spare by changing the righthand swinging arm. Also the numberplate still has to be moved. Note the locking plate cap over the Jerrycan opening.

Rear_2.jpg

Rear_twin1.jpg

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Modular would be nice but I like to keep it simple so I don't forget anything at home. I would like a combination of the pictures below, the jeep pic is only to see the cans, though I would turn them another 90 Degrees. I would mount a back up camera in the spare tires center move the tag to the bumper and perhaps find a FJ40 lic. mount. (Sweet)

1_yellowjeep.jpg

4R-1CAN-2Medium.jpg

4r-1CAN-1Medium.jpg

P1010019Small.jpg

Aaron

Willman

I built mine.....No problems at all.....great mod....air tank, hi-lift & tire carrier.....and chicks dig it!

DSC02186.jpg

:elkgrin:

XJINTX

Explorer
I popped a bead once in some REAL thick, wet red clay and was glad I did not need to get under truck for spare. We had to dig the clay out of the rim just to get at lug nuts.

No way I would have put it back underneath and I'm not sure what I would have done with it as I was pretty well loaded on top and inside.

Just bolting it on the carrier until I could get to it was nice.

I have a JCRoffroad.com bumper... solid and no rattle.

When sleeping inside I just leave it swung open.

I love Rear tire carriers on trucks. I always hated struggling to get the long pole to fit in the hole while out and about, plus it's never fun crawling under the truck in the muck or on a busy road to grab the tire.

I have a custom one from CBI that I love. Works perfectly for me and I don't really have too much of a problem seeing out the back. Its the first thing people ask about and also works as a great tailgating deterrent:) .

I will never be with out one ever again.

IMG_7397.gif

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I'd like to build my own but don't have the metal bender to make the nice clean bends, though my ARB doesn't have any bends... oh never mind I don't have the time. At this point I'd rather pay to have it done. And I think the irbis with some mods will be great.

Aaron

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Aaron,

I'm really glad you posted up this thread. An Irbis rear swingout is definitely on the list for my 4Runner, and although I've heard good things about them I know there are a lot of people out there against having a rear swingout period. Its nice to hear from folks on both sides and it sounds to me like I'll keep it on the list. I just can't decide if I want the rear jerry can holder or not!

Maybe I'll forgo the jerry can holder and just get an extra fuel tank! :victory:

toy_tek

Adventurer
I just can't decide if I want the rear jerry can holder or not!

Maybe I'll forgo the jerry can holder and just get an extra fuel tank! :victory:

Did you take a look under mine yesterday? I did some calculations a while back and figured without the spare tire, I could get a 16-17 gallon custom aux tank underneath, running flush with the bottom of the frame rails. That is sort of my plan... eventually.

toy_tek

Adventurer
MinersRevenge03-08-08100.jpg

I know I've posted this on Expo before, but you can sort of see the space underneath I'm referring to... would work nicely for an aux tank. I've since removed the spare tire hoist, and would plan to cut out the hoist mounting crossmember and install alternative bracing. Aux tank: more secure than jerry cans, more capacity, and lower center of gravity (cg).

[edit: hey look, its Timmaay!]

Last edited:

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
MinersRevenge03-08-08100.jpg

I know I've posted this on Expo before, but you can sort of see the space underneath I'm referring to... would work nicely for an aux tank. I've since removed the spare tire hoist, and would plan to cut out the hoist mounting crossmember and install alternative bracing. Aux tank: more secure than jerry cans, more capacity, and lower center of gravity (cg).

[edit: hey look, its Timmaay!]

If I'm not mistaken a ford F150 tank will fit into that spot with little trouble. I don't remember what year, but certain it's an older one. I believe its a 16gal. as well. Also I remeber being able to pick them up from summit racing.

Aaron

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Did you take a look under mine yesterday? I did some calculations a while back and figured without the spare tire, I could get a 16-17 gallon custom aux tank underneath, running flush with the bottom of the frame rails. That is sort of my plan... eventually.

I didn't have as much time to poke around all the 4Runners at the clean up as I would have liked. I was just happy to see so many! I should have taken more time, but it was busy busy busy. We should have an AZ4R meet up!

Thats a great shot and it looks like there is more than enough room. It looks like you still have a tow hitch? I'd like to keep mine but its so big and bulky...yours looks to be different.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz