Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

teotwaki

Excelsior!
FP430_vl1.jpg

http://www.compactappliance.com/FP4...P430,default,pd.html?cgid=Appliances-Freezers

Free shipping this week with 10% off.

All disclaimers by me apply.... :ylsmoke:

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Might be a great fridge...
Might have such a hefty amp draw that your battery is sucked down flat in no time...
That is my only concern with cheaper knockoffs..hard to find the info and what about warranty issues?

Not telling anyone not to buy it...just think things over and remember to support quality companies, that way it only hurts once.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I think those fridges are made be Edge Star. They are a Texas based company that do a lot of freezers for RV's.

Edit: found this...

Energy requirements:
DC 12/24 Volts, 4.5 Amps/2.5 Amps
AC 115 Volts/60Hz, .75 Amp
65 Watts

Pete

slooowr6

Explorer
I think those fridges are made be Edge Star. They are a Texas based company that do a lot of freezers for RV's.

Edit: found this...

Energy requirements:
DC 12/24 Volts, 4.5 Amps/2.5 Amps
AC 115 Volts/60Hz, .75 Amp
65 Watts

Pete

At 2.5amps it's the same rating as Engle MT45. Does anyone know what compressor it's using?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Might be a great fridge...
Might have such a hefty amp draw that your battery is sucked down flat in no time...
That is my only concern with cheaper knockoffs..hard to find the info and what about warranty issues?

Not telling anyone not to buy it...just think things over and remember to support quality companies, that way it only hurts once.

I already have an Engel, but read the testimonials at the site for this product.

testimonials here (believe what you choose :) )

http://www.compactappliance.com/FP4...P430,default,pd.html?cgid=Appliances-Freezers

a few:

"I purchased this unit for a 4x4 trip on the Rubicon trail, where ice is not available. Most of the others had either the ARB or Engle fridges that cost $700-$900.My buddies ARB ran his battery down, my Edgestar ran all week, did not tax my battery, kept food cool and I even turned the therostat colder to cool warm beer. Beer was cool in about 20 minutes or so. All food stayed fresh, the entire trip. Holds a lot more then anticpated. Extremely quiet..Also the display of temp is better the the ARB or Engle.Great value and many folks asked about it on the trail."

another

"I have used for over a month in the back of an FJ Cruiser, Southern California to South Dakota. Temperatures in the truck reached over 130°F during this time and the FP430 kept a steady 38°F. I have left it running for three days without charging the battery and it did not drain the battery down to its auto cut-off point. I do have a dual battery setup."

The site also says that they are EdgeStars although I've never heard of them before.

Last edited:

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
I already have an Engel, but read the testimonials at the site for this product.

testimonials here (believe what you choose :) )

a few:

"I purchased this unit for a 4x4 trip on the Rubicon trail, where ice is not available. Most of the others had either the ARB or Engle fridges that cost $700-$900.My buddies ARB ran his battery down, my Edgestar ran all week, did not tax my battery, kept food cool and I even turned the therostat colder to cool warm beer. Beer was cool in about 20 minutes or so. All food stayed fresh, the entire trip. Holds a lot more then anticpated. Extremely quiet..Also the display of temp is better the the ARB or Engle.Great value and many folks asked about it on the trail."

another

"I have used for over a month in the back of an FJ Cruiser, Southern California to South Dakota. Temperatures in the truck reached over 130°F during this time and the FP430 kept a steady 38°F. I have left it running for three days without charging the battery and it did not drain the battery down to its auto cut-off point. I do have a dual battery setup."

The site also says that they are EdgeStars although I've never heard of them before.

It may be a decent fridge but testimonials are notoriously one sided.
The Engels mentioned in the 1st testimonial may have been badly wired or connected to much smaller batteries or have been of a larger capacity.
And in the 2nd testimoial ,I would expect 2 batteries to run a 40 quart/litre fridge for 3 days

It doesnt look much different to an Engel in construction and I suspect the amount of insulation would be about the same.The amp draw is average for a fridge that size4

Godd price if it can live up to the claims

1speed

Explorer
My wife does home health so she lives out of her Liberty 5-6 days a week. She's very jealous of my Engel so if no one here posts anything bad on it within a few days we will pull the trigger on one and let you know how it works. Looks like it can be had for $439 regularly and a google search shows various 5-10 percent coupons out there. None of them work in conjunction with the $395 price however. Same price available at http://www.livingdirect.com/FP430-C...ping>12_Volt_Travel_Coolers>FP430&src=FROOGLE.

sundaypunch

Observer
If you use the Microsoft "Live Search Cashback" you can get it for 6% less at Compact Appliance bringing the price down to $371.39 :)

I love my Engel and bought it after reading many great testimonials on this and other sites. The Edgestar may be a great fridge but I don't like being the guinea pig. It would be nice to hear from a couple "real" people that have tried them.

dosentmater

ok i just ordered a edge star fridge will let u know what it looks and works like
when it arives . couldent resist at that price.

ExpoMike

ok i just ordered a edge star fridge will let u know what it looks and works like
when it arives . couldent resist at that price.

Courious to see how well it works. Price is definitely more in the range I would like to spend. Please report back when you get some use on yours.

njtaco

Explorer
At 2.5amps it's the same rating as Engle MT45. Does anyone know what compressor it's using?

njtaco said:
I think that's 2.5 amps at 24 volts, not 12 volts, right?

Sorry, I meant the Edgestar was 2.5 amps at 24V, and the Engle site says 1.3 amps for 24V...so the Edgestar uses nearly twice the current at a given voltage as the Engle. Same for 12V, 4.5A for the Edgestar, and 2.5A for the Engle. At least that's what I thought I said :p I'm not always clear...as you have seen! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste