Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
My Edgestar stays in my garage running on AC while not being used for camping. I noticed it had turned off the other day. I could get it going again on 110v or 12v, but shaking the power cord caused it to stop. Figured it was likely loose connections and finally took it apart today. I can't say for sure what fixed it since some of the connections did seem a bit loose. (I tightened down some of the screws holding the ring terminals and made a better/tighter connection with one of the spade connectors. But I think the actual problem was the back of the circuit board coming into contact with the case. The only insulation between the circuit board and the aluminum case inside the fridge that holds the "brains" of it, is a thin piece of clear plastic. The metal tangs from the terminals go through the circuit board, where they are soldered. This leaves a somewhat sharp piece of metal protruding through the back of the circuit board with only that thin piece of plastic keeping it from contacting the aluminum case holding the circuit board. My assumption is that through a couple years of vibration, that tang wore through the plastic and was shorting to the case. (Yes, I should have taken pics, but hopefully this description will help somebody). The ideal solution would involve removing that circuit board and trimming the tangs and then adding better insulation. But my (easy) solution, was just to slide a layer of heat shrink between the existing plastic barrier and the aluminum case.

Edit: Here's a pics from the previous page, but it shows the area I'm talking about where the circuit board is close to the case.
clw2.jpg

So despite some of the dreadful tales here, I took a gamble and bought a FP430. I just could not resist the $435 price tag, after adding a 5 year SquareTrade warranty.

Question: I have my thermostat set to 37 degrees. From what I have witnessed in the 24 hours I have had it running… the actual temp reading states 34-35 degrees. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

4x4junkie

Explorer
So despite some of the dreadful tales here, I took a gamble and bought a FP430. I just could not resist the $435 price tag, after adding a 5 year SquareTrade warranty.

Question: I have my thermostat set to 37 degrees. From what I have witnessed in the 24 hours I have had it running… the actual temp reading states 34-35 degrees. Is that normal?

Thanks in advance!

Brandon

There's a "range" above & below whatever setting it's set to.

IIRC, the compressor turns on at 2° above whatever it's set at, and then it shuts off when it reaches 3° below it's setting (and the display may actually drop down another degree or so for a moment a couple minutes after it shuts off). All normal.

I suspect they designed it this way to reduce the compressor cycling on/off too frequently.

Anyone seen Open Box or Scratch and Dent deals on the 43 or 63 recently? I'm jonesing to get one!

I looked for an open box deal for a pretty long time, and finally gave up.

Here is what I suggest if you have patience and want to save a few bucks on a new one:

1. Wait for CompactAppliance to do a 35% off site wide sale or better.

2. Enter your email address into their email sign up pop up box, and you will get a 10% off coupon. But wait…

3. Visit the product page of the fridge you want, and click on the price drop notification button, and enter you email once again.

4. In a day or two, you will get a coupon for an addition 5% off. But wait…

5. Sometime around email number 4 or 5 (like a week or so down the line) you will get another email with a coupon for an additional 10% off.

Now, use the link inside of that email to visit their site. The email coupon will be in you cart. Add the coupon from step 1, for an addition 10% off. This should get you close to 55% off. Putting the FP430 around $360-370ish.

Hope that helps.

trasko

Adventurer
Anyone seen Open Box or Scratch and Dent deals on the 43 or 63 recently? I'm jonesing to get one!

I'd sell my 43Qt for a good price but I think shipping from California to Connecticut would kill the deal (changed vehicles and it doesn't work with my new plans). Try the coupon thing or just hold out -- they'll get more in eventually.

2011WK2

I looked for an open box deal for a pretty long time, and finally gave up.

Here is what I suggest if you have patience and want to save a few bucks on a new one:

1. Wait for CompactAppliance to do a 35% off site wide sale or better.

2. Enter your email address into their email sign up pop up box, and you will get a 10% off coupon. But wait&#8230;

3. Visit the product page of the fridge you want, and click on the price drop notification button, and enter you email once again.

4. In a day or two, you will get a coupon for an addition 5% off. But wait&#8230;

5. Sometime around email number 4 or 5 (like a week or so down the line) you will get another email with a coupon for an additional 10% off.

Now, use the link inside of that email to visit their site. The email coupon will be in you cart. Add the coupon from step 1, for an addition 10% off. This should get you close to 55% off. Putting the FP430 around $360-370ish.

Hope that helps.

Hey Markerx, thanks for the info. I have already noticed their up and down x% off store wide is always going on and I got the WELCOME10 10% off coupon for signing up to emails. I'll have to wait for the right amount off storewide and then do the price notification trick too. Thanks again, and I appreciate it. I recently did a similar trick with harbor freight! haha...

Jason

Hey Markerx, thanks for the info. I have already noticed their up and down x% off store wide is always going on and I got the WELCOME10 10% off coupon for signing up to emails. I'll have to wait for the right amount off storewide and then do the price notification trick too. Thanks again, and I appreciate it. I recently did a similar trick with harbor freight! haha...

Jason

Great. Post with your final price, when you decide to pull the trigger.

Also, I would also recommend allocating some funds for a SquareTrade warranty. Look for a coupon, 30% off can be found all the time. Or, ping me directly when you are ready and I will dig a code up out of my email box.

2011WK2

Found one

I got a scratch and dent 63 quart today finally for $287 shipped I jump on that offer. I was thinking the 43 quart might be better for the back of the grand cherokee but there is only really a 4 inch appreciable external dimension difference so I went with this just to have it, bigger is pretty much always better in my opinion:wings: I had been checking open box daily and had also signed up for the "notify me when this is in stock" link which they never did, so just a hint to anyone still looking. I wouldnt rely on that.

If I come across anything that hasnt already been said in this thread once I receive mine Ill chime in again.

Jason

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
I got a scratch and dent 63 quart today finally for $287 shipped I jump on that offer. I was thinking the 43 quart might be better for the back of the grand cherokee but there is only really a 4 inch appreciable external dimension difference so I went with this just to have it, bigger is pretty much always better in my opinion:wings: I had been checking open box daily and had also signed up for the "notify me when this is in stock" link which they never did, so just a hint to anyone still looking. I wouldnt rely on that.

If I come across anything that hasnt already been said in this thread once I receive mine Ill chime in again.

Jason

I noticed that too - that the larger ones use the space more efficiently. I think the compressors are all the same, or at least similar size. So on smaller units, the compressor takes up more of the overall space, percentage wise. Before I got my 43qt, I had ordered the 63 but it got cancelled. Even though I had wanted the 43qt all along, I was disappointed that the 63 qt got cancelled when I saw the footprint wasn't much bigger given the 20 qt capacity increase.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
That's correct - they use the same compressor (and thus the same "footprint" inside the cooler) but have different internal capacities and external dimensions. I have the 43-quart, and a buddy of mine has the 63-quart. Side-by-side the 63 isn't a whole lot bigger - I almost wish I'd gotten the larger one, but space is always at a premium in a Jeep. His 63 takes up the entire rear cargo area on his flatfender.

Quest4ADV

Adventurer

Jason

I signed up for the "scratch and dent" email, but I never see the fridges for sale. What am I missing?

Thanks

faulke

Has anyone used the "Pricewaiter" feature on OpenBoxDirect? I was browsing a few days ago and saw a scratch/dent 43qt. Pricewaiter lets you make a maximum offer. The fridge was listed at $289 and I offered $250. They counter-offered with $269. I would have taken it, but you can only use Paypal with Pricewaiter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior