Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

qwopzxnm

Adventurer
but the order status still says 'your item is being processed.'

I will keep an eye out and update the thread again if I see it go live. :)

Mine says the exact same thing. Hoping this is the order that makes it through to shipping.

wanderingjeep

Paramedic
When I bought my fridge I did my homework... forever. A 12V fridge is a huge investment and you don't want to be wrong.

This fridge had a pretty big amp draw from my recollection. It would really tax my 130W panel and 2 battery system. Eventually I went with the ARB fridge due to its incredibly low power usage. The higher end fridges really pay off if you have a low power budget.

JLee

Adventurer
When I bought my fridge I did my homework... forever. A 12V fridge is a huge investment and you don't want to be wrong.

This fridge had a pretty big amp draw from my recollection. It would really tax my 130W panel and 2 battery system. Eventually I went with the ARB fridge due to its incredibly low power usage. The higher end fridges really pay off if you have a low power budget.

At $236 I can flip it later, if I decide I need to run on solar. :)

Regardless, that's an excellent point and is why I was going to go ARB unless I found one of these in stock at this absurdly low price. Under 1 amp at 12v is nice.

4x4junkie

Explorer
At $236 I can flip it later, if I decide I need to run on solar. :)

Regardless, that's an excellent point and is why I was going to go ARB unless I found one of these in stock at this absurdly low price. Under 1 amp at 12v is nice.

"Under 1 amp at 12v" I think will depend on what the temperature outside the fridge is (you might only see it get that low during the night).

My Edgestar's overall power consumption was not real different than that of a comparable-size older (Engel) ARB fridge (the Edgestar had higher current draw while running, but ran for less total time each cycle), though I haven't yet tested it against any of the newer "plastic" ARB fridges. I did add a foam seal around the condenser coil & fan to improve the airflow through it, maybe this helped? (I never did try retesting it without).

4x4junkie

Explorer
I haven't really looked to much into it but in say a 36 qt version how much food can it really fit

Really depends on how you pack it, how much will fit / how long you can go.

Just as an example, I've had all of the following in my 43-qt for a two-week trip for two people:

3 lbs bacon
2 packs sausage (the Farmer John ones)
3 dozen eggs (two 18-packs)
3 lbs ground beef
6 lbs burger patties
1.5 gallons milk (3 halfs)
36 oz various lunchmeats
~24 oz sliced cheeses
16 oz shredded cheese
4 Yoplait yogurts
1 small jar mayonnaise
1 "giant" Hershey Special Dark bar

Many items I'll remove from bulky packaging and put into ziploc baggies so it all fits in there better (the lunchmeat, ground beef, and burger patties for example).
For things like mustard/ketchup, I just grab a bunch of the little packets that don't need refrigeration from fast food places (condiment bottles will eat up space in a fridge real fast)

samer0214

I called and spoke to Open Box Direct yesterday about my order, since they back ordered my 63 quart. Their system is really screwy as it doesn't instantly update stock, and they usually get a handful of scratch and dent units.

The lady I spoke with said that my order will remain in the system for a week, and if any units come in by then, they will fill it. I'm supposedly the 1st in line, although I'm not really holding my breath! I will call them on Friday and find out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

qwopzxnm

Adventurer
Just got my shipping confirmation. I used the Welcome10 coupon so I got a 63qt shipped for $212.94. Fingers crossed on it's actual condition.

qwopzxnm

Adventurer
Bah I forgot about that!! Nicely done! I got a shipping notification as well. :)

:wings::victory: Nice! I'm surprised there were multiple units and we each got one. Every time I've gone through this before my experience was similar to samer0214's. My order would be cancelled because they kept taking orders after all of their inventory was already gone.

Now we each need to post pics when we get them to compare "scratches" and "dents".

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
I have a friend who has supplied a few of these fridges to customers he has done builds for. I must say, I was impressed at the quality, the look and feel and the function of these when I was able to see them in person. They are heavier than their plastic counterparts (I just bought a Dometic CF-35 for a killer deal), but man they are nice. From what I understand they use(d) the same Dan Foss swing motor that many of the others use, including ARB, Dometic, Engle etc.

On 12v they are reported to use .75 amp and that is awesome in my books. We used my friends Dometic CF-35 in 120* temps outside (about 100 in the shade) and it was not drawing much power, nor running all that often, and it froze our steaks! Same guts as the Edgestar from Compact Appliance, so function should be nearly identical.

These are great fridges, had I not got the smokin deal on the Dometic I would have one of these in my rig already!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94