Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

afbond03

Adventurer
Really wish I could justify needing one of these....

http://www.openboxdirect.com/Koldfront-43-Quart-12V-DC-Portable-Fridge-Freezer-Black/KF430SD,default,pd.html

Koldfront is an Edgestar. $216.45 (minus 10%?) seems real cheap....

Thanks! I usually remember to check daily but had just been looking for the Edgestar. I've owned a 50qt ARB, and a 63qt Edgestar. I have a love/hate relationship with these things apparently. The 63qt was just to big for the back of my Jeep Wrangler so I think the 43qt will suffice this time around.

theMec

Adventurer
Edgestar 43 qt fridge report over 2 weekends

A little fridge report ...
No drama over two weekend trips w/ the new Edgestar 43 qt. Based on a previous post, which measured inside temp at 6F less than readout temp, I set the temp at 42F. Don't want any broken beer bottles :) Display varied between 38 to 43F when packed. When I first tested it empty, the temp variation was greater but when packed the temp variation looks good.

Handles are solid. The lid seal is very tight even w/o the latch being closed. When unlatched I have to give a good pull to open since the lid seal is sticky. In the edgestar mod thread, some have complained the latch is not tight enough. I think a tighter latch would produce an uneven force on the lid leading to leakage. I think if the lid seal is clean, the latch tightness is fine.

My only gripe is the DC cord is just short of 5ft. This is barely long enough when the fridge is in the back seat. I will get an extension.

Last weekend, it ran for 40 hours even though the truck just sat at camp w/o being started. The truck does have stock dual batteries though. Batteries are 6 years old.

Bought it at openboxdirect for $279. It has a 1" dent in a rear corner. This fridge is a winner! My wife was the one who pushed me to look into a portable fridge - after we rented a VW camper van, with a similar style fridge, last summer in France. She's quite happy w/ the Edgestar.

teddyearp

Adventurer
Thank you everyone for this thread, especially the OP who's user name I forgot how to spell, but is happy his thread keeps giving. Spent this evening getting caught up on the last four years' worth of posts, hehe.

Forgive me for a tiny thread hijack, but the pictures I have seen in this thread of the Edgestars all show them mounted pretty flat. I just want to get away from my cheap cooler and ice and use one of these. My question is does this absolutely HAVE to be level to operate or can I just throw it on the backseat with maybe a 10-15 (?) degree tilt max?

Thanks in advance.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Thank you everyone for this thread, especially the OP who's user name I forgot how to spell, but is happy his thread keeps giving. Spent this evening getting caught up on the last four years' worth of posts, hehe.

Forgive me for a tiny thread hijack, but the pictures I have seen in this thread of the Edgestars all show them mounted pretty flat. I just want to get away from my cheap cooler and ice and use one of these. My question is does this absolutely HAVE to be level to operate or can I just throw it on the backseat with maybe a 10-15 (?) degree tilt max?

Thanks in advance.
Completely fine. I seem to recall they're rated to 30° tilt (I know I've had mine tilted to at least that many times while tackling some obstacle offroad, maybe even more... It's always just kept purring away).

Just make sure the air intake and exhaust vents for the condenser are kept clear when you set it on your seat (on the FP430 this is the rear panel & side panel vents).

teddyearp

Adventurer
Thanks a bunch 4x4junkie.

FYI, there's a link a page or three back for the 80 qt scratch & dent/open box that when I clicked on it earlier today it showed something like $399 but then a "make an offer" window popped up as well. I would have pulled the trigger on it, but after taking measurements of the space my el-cheapo Coleman takes on my back seat, the width is just too much for me to be able to use. I can't really go much more than 24" ish of the fp430.

So, for me I'll keep waiting on the fp430 and/or try the email signup discount tricks from about three years ago, lol.

afbond03

Adventurer
Thanks a bunch 4x4junkie.

FYI, there's a link a page or three back for the 80 qt scratch & dent/open box that when I clicked on it earlier today it showed something like $399 but then a "make an offer" window popped up as well. I would have pulled the trigger on it, but after taking measurements of the space my el-cheapo Coleman takes on my back seat, the width is just too much for me to be able to use. I can't really go much more than 24" ish of the fp430.

So, for me I'll keep waiting on the fp430 and/or try the email signup discount tricks from about three years ago, lol.

Best advice if your serious about getting one, check the website a few times daily.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Yep, would pay for shipping no problem. The cheapest I have seen up here is like 700-900 bucks. with the ****tybilt coming in at 1000. OUCH!

JLee

Adventurer
I finally used mine last week -- basically for a week straight. It ran like a champ. The 12v power cord that comes with it sucks - I need to make a new one (the connector loses connectivity randomly).

Last edited:

teddyearp

Adventurer
Best advice if your serious about getting one, check the website a few times daily.

And this paid off today. Actually have only been checking the site every other day or so, but did today and there one was, $257 shipped. I can't remember ever clicking my mouse that fast to go through the process.

macgyver_ga

Adventurer
I picked up a whynter 45qt model off amazon last week for $436 It appears to be identical to the edgestar. I also got the insulated transit bag. I've been using it as a beer fridge in the garage since last week running off house AC current. Set at 37 degrees and seems to fluctuate between 33 and 39 whenever I glance at the display.

We'll be going to the beach next month so it will get a lot of use that week.

I ordered parts today for a dual battery setup. Should have them all in a few days.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I picked up a whynter 45qt model off amazon last week for $436 It appears to be identical to the edgestar. I also got the insulated transit bag. I've been using it as a beer fridge in the garage since last week running off house AC current. Set at 37 degrees and seems to fluctuate between 33 and 39 whenever I glance at the display.

We'll be going to the beach next month so it will get a lot of use that week.

I ordered parts today for a dual battery setup. Should have them all in a few days.

You can also order the fridge from Home Depot. They also sell an extended warranty as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94