Cheap Fridge <$400 shipped

faulke

Ended up picking up a unit for $289. Works great so far.

Does anyone notice a difference in performance with more or less ventilation for the compressor and fan in the rear? I have mine in a fairly tight spot with maybe only an inch of open space on the sides of the fridge, but I'm considering drilling some holes to allow better airflow.

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
Ended up picking up a unit for $289. Works great so far.

Does anyone notice a difference in performance with more or less ventilation for the compressor and fan in the rear? I have mine in a fairly tight spot with maybe only an inch of open space on the sides of the fridge, but I'm considering drilling some holes to allow better airflow.

Mine usually gets packed pretty tight to the cooling vents, but I've never noticed any problem from doing so. I'm sure the compressor must run more when insufficiently ventilated, but I do my best to provide as much clearance or airflow around the vents. It'll never hurt to provide it with additional airflow.

I was looking at the Dometic CF50 for ~$575 shipped.
Open Box Direct had the Whytner/edgestar 63 for $212 to my door; using the Welcome10 10% discount code.
So.
Done deal and we'll see how that goes.
Well, I hope.

Last edited:

Xterabl

Adventurer
$212 for a 63 qt?
Wow! Screaming deal.
I think I paid ~$330 for my open-box 43-qt about 5 years ago...which by the way is still running nicely :)

It is a screaming deal, right?
Except when I got home and checked the dimensions agains where I want to mount it, it was bigger than I want.
So I cancelled the order, and one of y'all cna probably snag it at that price if you use that Welcome10 promo code.
Maybe a 43 will pop up for me.

EXPO365

Adventurer
Just did the same thing. Hopefully it's more scratch than dent.

How was the condition of yours once you received it?

-MK

They screwed me actually, I bought and payed for it then 2 days later they said I just missed it....where did you get yours from?

RubiconGeoff

Adventurer
My "scratch & dent" looked absolutely brand new. Now it looks like it was tossed out the back of a moving Jeep after several years of (ab)use but it's still going strong!

qwopzxnm

Adventurer
They screwed me actually, I bought and payed for it then 2 days later they said I just missed it....where did you get yours from?
That sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. I bought it from OpenBoxDirect using the Welcome10 coupon.

My "scratch & dent" looked absolutely brand new. Now it looks like it was tossed out the back of a moving Jeep after several years of (ab)use but it's still going strong!
Your experience is exactly what I am hoping for, although preferably without the self-induced future abuse :sombrero:. $212 out the door for a 63qt fridge seems like a pretty good deal. I bought it with my AMEX as well so if there are any issues in the first two years I should be covered. <Knock on wood>

qwopzxnm

Adventurer

I was hoping for RubiconGeoff's experience but it's looking like I got the same as you Expo365. Got the call this morning that they were cancelling my order because it hadn't "passed final inspection". I'm thinking they got more orders than items and I was too late to the party.

EXPO365

Adventurer
I was hoping for RubiconGeoff's experience but it's looking like I got the same as you Expo365. Got the call this morning that they were cancelling my order because it hadn't "passed final inspection". I'm thinking they got more orders than items and I was too late to the party.

Yea it's really annoying, I guess I'll be battling you for the next one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94