Homemade awning?

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Yes!

But I think....if I post this pic one more time! I'm gonna get spanked!

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0094.jpg

The slope in the tarp is my rain gutter.

2006_0919Summerinthesanjuans0108.jpg

A simple Wal Mart tarp and two adjustable camp poles. And some rope and stakes.

I carry an extra tarp to wall it off in cold weather.

No Problem!

Funrover

Expedition Leader
Post up some details of what you had in mind.

Well the one I was thinking of the most was to have:

1. Canvas
2. 3 bars that slide under existing rack

Basically I was going to fold the canvas up and store it inside the Rover. I would pull out the bars (2 would slide and the 3rd would go across to attach the 2) and would simply unfold and button (or some form of snap, twist, etc) the canvas to the bars.

However the PVC set up seems like a better deal IMO

articulate

Expedition Leader
Gotta love shade.

I would caution you against using canvas, though. I used it on my first rendition of this awning below. Turns out, canvas is heavy and bulky (gasp!). I wanted to make this thing convert into a privacy room, and that was going to be a lot of friggin' canvas to store on/in the truck somewhere.

Someone turned me onto the idea of using a ripstop nylon fabric, like what's used for backpacking tents. I like the result - super easy to pack, it's lightweight, and rather durable, yet easy to sew.

Good luck!

picture-11.jpg

86cj

Explorer
For X-mas my wife bought me a ground cloth for a North face tent to use for a rear awning on my Jeep LJ. I used North face for the color but the material seems like it will work perfect for my application, easy to stow and not so weak it will rip.
I will give some feedback after a couple of feet of snow melt and the grass turns Green.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Now I like that.... I would just add some bars that slide out from my roof rack for the supports... HMMMM :coffee:

Here are some examples...

Attachments

• IMG_0669 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0669 (Small).JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_0668 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0668 (Small).JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 379
  • IMG_0898 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0898 (Small).JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 350

86cj

Explorer
For X-mas my wife bought me a ground cloth for a North face tent to use for a rear awning on my Jeep LJ. I used North face for the color but the material seems like it will work perfect for my application, easy to stow and not so weak it will rip.
I will give some feedback after a couple of feet of snow melt and the grass turns Green.

Well the rear awning has worked out great, we have had rain and tested it fully, both the ease of set up and stowing is simple and easy. With my 1" tent poles slipped into the rollbar brackets I can use the soft top rear window for a small dry area. If rain gets heavy the awning sets up very quick, the rubberized side of the ground cloth grabs the soft top material and stays put...I bought a larger size to cover the side windows for a little more privacy and to go with the 3 front sun shades I use.

Attachments

• New rear canopy.jpg
    New rear canopy.jpg
    520.8 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

rickc

Adventurer
One thing to consider; if you are going with a side mounted awning design it so that it can be mounted on either side of your truck. My roof rack side has twin parallel tubes running full length so it would be very easy to design an awning tube that clip-locks into the upper tube and then seats on the lower, maybe with a swivel lock piece to hold it in place.

College Kid

Adventurer
Well the rear awning has worked out great, we have had rain and tested it fully, both the ease of set up and stowing is simple and easy. With my 1" tent poles slipped into the rollbar brackets I can use the soft top rear window for a small dry area. If rain gets heavy the awning sets up very quick, the rubberized side of the ground cloth grabs the soft top material and stays put...I bought a larger size to cover the side windows for a little more privacy and to go with the 3 front sun shades I use.

What are those brackets that you have attached to the rear roll bar? The ones that extend out?

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
I made my own out of sunbrella type material. Hand roll and unroll with pole system. Also can be pitched for rain.

awn8.jpg

awn17.jpg

awn18.jpg

lots of options...good luck! Pat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94