Pelican General Mechanics Tool Kit

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Just got the latest issue of JP and saw the Pelican GMTK. I have to say I really like the packability of my tool rolls, but if I had to keep them dry and dirt free, this would be a mighty nice start.

http://www.pelican.com/media/news/product/pr_07_14_08.php
gmtk.png

GMTK-Modernized.jpg

More info from a military stand point.

http://tri.army.mil/LC/Ct/ctt/ctts/GMTK/GMTK MAIN PAGE.htm

GMTK%20BOX.jpg

GMTK%20DRAWER1.jpg

GMTK%20DRAWER%202.jpg

GMTK%20DRAWER%203.jpg

GMTK%20DRAWER%204.jpg

GMTK5THDRAWER.jpg

accessory%20wheel%20on%20gmtk.jpg

accessory%20wheel%20kit%20contents.jpg

Last edited:

AAXD

Has this been released for general sale? I'm not finding it on Pelicans website. I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I could find it.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I saw those when I was digging around. Do you know if the cases are as good as the Pelican case? I have not heard of Ellis before.

86cj

Explorer
I have some Pelicans and bet it is very nice. I would have built one into my storage lay out if they were available a few years ago, but $500 does not come as easy these days either.

That box is perfect for an open top Jeep.......

Ronnie4283

The one in the first pic is different than the one in the second pic. I had the second pics style when I was in the Army from mid '03 to mid '05. It rode many a hard mile in the back of a HMMWV. They were good, but not great, sides flexed a fair amount and would cause drawer or lid hang ups. The box in pic one looks much beefier. Having said that, they prolly would be nice in a Jeep or such, the tool layout is nice so everything is organized, and nothing gets left behind in the sand.
Oh and the wheels have apparently been modified, mine just had the smaller rollers.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
"Over the five-year, $125 million dollar contract’s life, the companies will manufacture in excess of 96,000 tool kits designed to exceed the demanding requirements of service personnel across the globe."

96,000 kits! my guess is that there will be some nice surplus tool kits in a few years.

eugene

Explorer
those kind of kits look nice but only if you never use them. The molds for the tools are hard to clean and if you ever loose/replace/upgrade one of the tools then nothing ever fits right again. I switched over to the soft tool bags/rolls/pouches after spending too much $ on those kind of kits. I can easily replace tools and just toss the roll in the washer when it gets dirty.

bigwapitijohnny

Adventurer
Pelican / Armstrong SGMTK1

All,

I just got back from acquiring the ultimate (my opinion) mobile toolkit available. It was a stroke of luck, and this was a gift from my wife ( :Wow1: ). It is an Armstrong SGMTK1 (General Mechanics Tool Kit). This was a Craigslist find, and I am in shock as to how much I got it for. It is brand new and complete. The gentleman that I bought this from was given this kit overseas. He already had a comprehensive tool kit, and did not need this one. His loss is my substantial gain...For all of you ebay / craigslist hawks, he said that there were PALLETS of these kits remaining following all of the mechanics getting theirs. I figure its only a matter of time before these kits trickle down to ebay and craigslist...Happy hunting.

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0428.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0415.jpg

Case is the Pelican 0450. The tools are from Armstrong Industrial Hand Tools (subsidiary of the Danaher corporation). 7 drawer configuration. Laser cut outs and friction fit are exceptional...

IMG_0419.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

Again this acquisition was truly serendipitous...

Regards,

BWJ

Last edited:

4lowdean

Observer
Been working on setting one up for my dad over the last few months. Got the case through our local Pelican dealer and then started with a Craftsman Tools basic set. Just been fleshing it out with odds and ends.

Only two downsides are 1) When it is fully loaded it is HEAVY... I mean REALLY heavy. I am a stout guy and I can barely lift it on my own. It's not bad to move, roll, and set up... but there is no way I want to risk trying to lift it in and out of the back of my lifted Jeep. 2) Cutting out the foam is a PAIN IN THE TUKAS. By about the third drawer I finally got a good system going so I may have to go back and redo the first two drawers.

In light of points 1 & 2, well mostly #1, I think for my set up I will be doing a pair of the smaller Pelican Tool Boxes --- The 1460 Tool Chest. Just seems like two of those would be easier to transport, store, and move for a solo person. Not to mention boxes could be set up for different "sets" of tools.6

If anyone is interested, I will try and get pics of our 450 tool chest.

Last edited:

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
We have a 0450 for rally car service team. Its good but not great. Given the option, I'm not sure I'd go there again. As other have noted awkward lifting and balance, just over the save weight limit for one person, and foam is a ***** to cut

Hatech

You an buy extra foam if it gets wrecked or have got a new tool. I have always had my eye on peli cases, my friends works for a production company who use peli's for their equipment and I really like them. But i understand why a massive tool box might be awkward. Instead of looking for one of these which comes with tools it just makes more sense to buy a case/cases and tools separately.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz