Pelican General Mechanics Tool Kit

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I have a 0450 case filled with tools and find it WAY to heavy and bulky to bring on any adventure. How the handles fold out makes it awkward lifting.

A simple 1550 holds all the tools I need. Pretty organized with tool rolls, ALOT lighter, takes up less valuable storage space and 1/5th the cost.

The 0450 now serves garage duty. Works as a good step too.

Edit: But if you can score GMTK used - IMHO buy it just for the tools. Armstrong are quality Made in USA Tools with lifetime warranty. The older one is a canvas bag and all snap-on. Much nicer.....

I use the same size box called an IM2750. I just bought my second one. No drawers foam or tool pallets. It weighs 18 pounds but the tool chest weighs over 41 pounds empty! The airlines only allow 50.
I use small bags for the tools and pack what I need according to the job I'm on. They are like a small hand truck as well so you can pile a ton of crap on top of them. I hauled one at 50 lbs with a soft bag at 50 along with my laptop at 15 lbs for years. I'd bounce that thing off curbs and off buses and it held up great so I would imagine the military version could get drug around without trouble. Fwi I paid $192 for the empty box and would say that after 25 years of hauling tools it's my favorite.

redaddiction

Observer
All,

I just got back from acquiring the ultimate (my opinion) mobile toolkit available. It was a stroke of luck, and this was a gift from my wife ( :Wow1: ). It is an Armstrong SGMTK1 (General Mechanics Tool Kit). This was a Craigslist find, and I am in shock as to how much I got it for. It is brand new and complete. The gentleman that I bought this from was given this kit overseas. He already had a comprehensive tool kit, and did not need this one. His loss is my substantial gain...For all of you ebay / craigslist hawks, he said that there were PALLETS of these kits remaining following all of the mechanics getting theirs. I figure its only a matter of time before these kits trickle down to ebay and craigslist...Happy hunting.

You are aware that you purchased an item that was stolen from the U.S. Government right? He wasn't given that as a gift he or someone he knew stole it. Those cases are issued to units and they stay with the unit, they are serialized gear, it's sad to see that there are soldiers like this that steal and ship stuff home for personal gain. Especially when there are Units that need these things to fight the war over there. I've been deployed and it sucks not having the proper tools to do the job but hey congrats on your purchase hope you enjoy it.

Last edited:

redaddiction

Observer
And for the people looking at these kits spec out the tools you need specifically for your setup. I also used the old and new style boxes and the majority of the time they were worthless.

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
purchased an item that was stolen from the U.S. Government right

When I first read the post, I found it odd. As I spent months trying to buy a 0450 fully fit-out, or a vendor who would fit out to my spec, and/or cut the foam. No one would, all vendors said DOD only. The push-back I got from vendors was that mil spec pre-cut and loaded tool kits by contract could not be sold to civilians-period. They couldn't even sell just the pre-cut foam, it was DOD technology. Thus we had to spend hours cutting our own foam. Now that was 3 years ago, and things can change, I hope the case didn't fall off the back of a truck and end up illegally in civilian hands.

4lowdean

Observer
You are aware that you purchased an item that was stolen from the U.S. Government right?

Um, might want to chill a little. Anyone can buy them direct from Armstrong right now... Hell, they even have the kits listed on Amazon. I had looked into buying one direct myself when my dad wanted to do up his kit but figured it was too pricey and wouldn't have all the tools he wanted and some we didn't want. Opted to buy the case through Pelican and do it ourselves.

Last edited:
When I first read the post, I found it odd. As I spent months trying to buy a 0450 fully fit-out, or a vendor who would fit out to my spec, and/or cut the foam. No one would, all vendors said DOD only. The push-back I got from vendors was that mil spec pre-cut and loaded tool kits by contract could not be sold to civilians-period. They couldn't even sell just the pre-cut foam, it was DOD technology. Thus we had to spend hours cutting our own foam. Now that was 3 years ago, and things can change, I hope the case didn't fall off the back of a truck and end up illegally in civilian hands.

Your venders had no clue what they were talking about, and were too lazy to figure out how to get them. With the exception of weaponry, everything else can be legally obtained including thermal imaging, night vision. Alot of things are not allowed out the country under any conditions, and some require quite the background check and purpose info. You get the point though. As for issued equipment being sold it's common place and written off long before anyone deploys, so if anyone's unit didn't have what it needed, which is always the case, it's not because it was issued to someone and they sold it. It's because someone in the unit "CO/S4" didn't do what it took to acquire the items. So lighten up and next time get in on the action, I know some guys that sold armor for $300 a plate, during refit overseas damaged plates arent usually collected they just give you new ones. If S4 wants them it's to store them in hopes of having a stockpile to sell when they get back. Being friends with the guy in charge pays literally ;)

REDrum

Aventurero de la Selva
Your venders had no clue what they were talking about, and were too lazy to figure out how to get them...So lighten up and next time get in on the action

Again, my experience was that three years ago fully tool loaded 0450s we're not available retail. I worked worked with a half dozen Pelican retailers and a NE sales rep from Hardigg (the government side of Pelican) but no loaded or pre cut 0450 could be sold. Perhaps you had a different experience in Feb 2009, but mine was that. Good to see Armstrong is now selling them, and at not a bad price. I woulda snapped one up at that price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94