Expedition Shovels

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I know that just having a shovel is good enough, but I really like how this one has metal much further up from the spade. I currently have the short D handled Home Depot Special.

Does anyone have any experience with this shovel? What is everyone else using?

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/popup.aspx?src=images/Product/large/RNA691.JPG

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-6092-shovel-rovers-north-expedition.aspx

RNA691.JPG

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
My guess would be that the longer metal neck would need to be of thick enough steel that it woould not buckle when prying at rocks and such.
RNA691.JPG

Explorer
The shovel head is the perfect shape, the metal shank will insure you can pry forcefully, the wood handle is compact and thick.

It reeks of quality, I think its a winner!

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
Dude, I think you know where you might check one of these out in person :).

jcbrandon

Explorer
I think that with shovels, the bigger the better. So figure out where you might be able to carry one, then get the biggest shovel that fits there. I've got a 3/4-ton pickup with an open bed. I carry a full-size landscaping shovel. Get something decent quality and you're good to go.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I use two.
One is a British MoD shovel as carried on Land Rovers,
shovel.jpg

the other is a small German military folding shovel
folding-shovel2.jpg

(Cheaper Than Dirt had new ones for something like $10 several years ago, so I couldn't resist).

Last edited:

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
Those German folding shovels are the best I've seen, and the pick is actually functional. I've been carrying one for the last 15 years, and other than a little oil every few years on the moving parts, it's lived a very hard life.

Photog

Explorer
If you are shoveling snow, and wearing mittins, that "T" handle won't work.

I also bought one with the "D" handle at the hardware store.

If you get a full size shovel, you you can wear what ever gloves/mittins you want. The handle is straight.:)

I would like to find one of those German shovel/picks.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I would like to find one of those German shovel/picks.
Google german military shovel. I found a number of sites that had them for $29 when I was looking for a photo (figured I'd find a better photo online than I could take)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Ditto on the german folder. I have one that a friend gave me. Outstanding quality and design. But a larger shovel would certainly be better for extracting a stuck vehicle.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
For a folding shovel I have a Glock "Entrenching Tool." Bought for the avatar vehicle as nothing much bigger will fit. Picture shows it with the handle retracted, it telescopes to almost double that length and a 1/2 turn locks it there or closed. One edge of the blade has a moderate false edge and the pivot will lock in several different positions. The small limb saw stowed inside of the handle works pretty good on fiberglass, in ~13 years of ownership I've yet to use it on wood.
Clicky:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior