Expedition Shovels

norshor

Observer
I took a Black Diamond Avalanche shovel, and converted it for warm-weather use. I used a round pointed landscaping shovel head. I took the wooden handle off of it, welded the open side that was wrapped around the wooden handle shut. Then I drilled holes in it, to line up with the spring loaded "buttons" for the aluminum shaft on the BD telescoping handle. Works like a champ, plenty solid, yet light, and has a beefy d-handle on it. When winter comes back, I just slip the avalanche blade back on it.

Gone2Baja

Adventurer
I use a USGI 'tri fold' It's nice and compact also it's nice to be able to use as a spade, my other shovel I carry is a light weight glock, it's always to have an extra!

luni

Observer
Avoid standard US issue E-tools. Personally, I have broken 2 and seen many more broken in regular field operations. They cause blisters even with gloves and have a tendency to crack, usually at the end of the triangular handle or along the seam where it folds over.

Digging fighting positions puts a good deal of strain on it and I've used it to successfully cut through large roots and trees up to 8 inches in diameter but also managed to break or at least weaken it in the process. After I broke the last E-tool clearing 3 trees from 3-6 inches in diameter out of the trail I retired it and bought a proper axe and shovel.

For a back-up sure since it's very compact. But I can't recommend it as a primary unless you intend to carry several.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The problem with avy shovels is that they are made of aluminum, which just does not last long against rocks. I have to file my Voile smooth periodically just from the junk under the snow and so using it all the time in the dirt to extract a truck or regular summer utility would wear them out in no time.

Good old fashioned American ash and US-made steel #2 round point blade with a 30" D-handle, that's what I use. This one has been faithful for almost a decade now. Give it fresh coat of WD40 often and it got a new handle a few years ago. It's mate is a square point #2 blade that works better in the winter for moving snow, but is otherwise the same size with a D-handle.

View attachment 28687

View attachment 28688

View attachment 28689

Last edited:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Ampco

Ampco Safety Tools S-83FG Round Point Shovel

http://www.drillspot.com/products/316298/Ampco_Safety_Tools_S-83FG_Round_Point_Shovel

I know this is very expensive (about $200.00), but I think it may be the 'best' relatively maintenance free shovel out there. There are lots of shovels with fiberglass handles, not many with rust resistant metal too.

After writing a vehicle feature for OJ a couple years ago where the truck owner had a stainless-steel D-shovel with a fiberglass handle (which he found on eBay) I was on a mission for something similar.

Nonsparking, Nonmagnetic Corrosion-Resistant Tools
Recommended for use in hazardous environments.
Nonmagnetic for electrical machinery, public utility, nuclear products, and MRI applications. Tools conform to Federal, GSA, and Military standards as well as other international standards. Most tools are beryllium-free. Required and/or recommended for use by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), the Department of Energy (DOE), the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), and the Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA). Factory Mutual Approved.
Note: Amatol and similar liquid gases may negate nonsparking properties. Do not use with acetylene due to the possible formation of explosive acetylides.
Round Point Shovel, Nonsparking/Nonmagnetic, Blade Size 9 X 11 1/4 In, Handle Type D Grip, Handle Length 22 In, Handle Material Fiberglass, Blade Material Aluminum Bronze Copper Alloy, Corrosion Resistant, Standards Federal, GSA, Military, ANSI, Din, OSHA, NFPA, MSHA

michaelgroves

Explorer
Ampco Safety Tools S-83FG Round Point Shovel

... (about $200.00)...

LOL - that's too funny! I think my (expensive, I thought!) shovel cost about 20% of that, and I would expect it to last indefinitely. In fairness, I don't use it often, it's really for emergencies, but then shovels that are in use in a gravel quarry, for example, will wear out in months no matter how much one pays for them!)

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I don't expect to be doing recovery digging in an explosive atmosphere, so I look at Man's transition from the bronze age to the iron age as a positive step forward. ;)

DaveInDenver

I don't expect to be doing recovery digging in an explosive atmosphere, so I look at Man's transition from the bronze age to the iron age as a positive step forward. ;)
Wonder if having a non-sparking shovel might be a fantastic idea when extracting a high centered truck with a punctured fuel tank?

DaveInDenver

DaveInDenver,
What brand mount are you using?
That's a Con-Ferr shovel and axe mount, which is bolted to the wheel well. The two straps you see are reinforcement and have a second purpose as a step to get into the WilderNest bed.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Not the best pic, but I use a regular long handled shovel available at most Lowes/Home Depot. A couple of Quik-Fist mounts keep it secured to the rack:
DSC05153.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
If I remember the Ampco does have a lifetime warranty.

I have had a full length fiberglass handled shovel from Home Depot on the front bumper of my F350 for about 13-years. The fiberglass split years ago and the wood inside is exposed. Needs replacement/I have the receipt.

As noted, I like to carry my shovels and have them at the ready, but I prefer not to use them much, weather resistance is important :sombrero:

LOL - that's too funny! I think my (expensive, I thought!) shovel cost about 20% of that, and I would expect it to last indefinitely. snip......

michaelgroves

Explorer
The tools shown at the bottom of this page are great (and cheap). The shafts are steel around wood. The handle part of the D is wood. They last forever, and every couple of years, one can just put a quick coat of hammerite on them to keep them looking good. Pretty much anything used by the mining industry in South Africa is going to be extremely robust!

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Nice link, the tools look good.

The tools shown at the bottom of this page are great (and cheap). The shafts are steel around wood. The handle part of the D is wood. They last forever, and every couple of years, one can just put a quick coat of hammerite on them to keep them looking good. Pretty much anything used by the mining industry in South Africa is going to be extremely robust!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles