Innovan

haven

Expedition Leader
Mark "OutbacKamper" Stevens posted a message to expeditioncampers.com today about the Innovan camper from Australia. Innovan is a new hard-side camper with a very clever design.

Here are photos that show the Innovan closed for travel, and open for camping.

17.jpg

16.jpg

In the second photo you can see the stainless steel kitchen unit extended from the camper. It includes a propane stove, propane barbeque, work table and basin. The top opens easily using gas-charged struts.

The truck in the photos is a Nissan Patrol utility model, similar in size to a Land Cruiser 78 (neither imported to USA, unfortunately).

Critical dimensions of the camper include overall length 110 in, overall width 85 in, overall height closed 59 in, height open 103 in.

These dimensions would fit well on a full size pickup like a Ford F250. A mid-size pickup like the 2006 Tacoma would probably work OK, too.

The Innovan is available both as a tray-top slide-on, and as a trailer.

Learn more about Innovan at http://www.innovan.com.au The web site has some great quicktime movies showing the Innovan traveling through some rugged terrain Down Under.

There are no immediate plans to import the Innovan to North America.

Chip Haven

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Very cool Innovation indeed! :luxhello:
You know, with a bit of caulk here and there that baby could be lifted up and made part of the International Space station project!
LOL :wings:

OK...but with a great 4x4 base it has the potential to be a great traveler and very comfortable...

It will be interesting to see what happens in coming years.

haven

Expedition Leader
camper weight

I wrote to Innovan about the weight of the camper. They replied promptly. The approximate dry weight of the camper is 500kg, or about 1100lb.

With a full load of water and propane, plus camping equipment and food, I'd expect the camper to weigh 500lb more, or 1600 lbs. Add in the weight of the driver and passenger for 1900 lbs, maybe more.

That cargo weight of 1900 lbs means that a standard pickup like the F150 or 2006 Tacoma would be over the weight limit. Best to get a super duty model like the F250.

The Innovan's width and height closed is a great match for the full size pickup.

Chip Haven

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I think you could mount one of those things on a newer "1/2 ton" truck chassis with minor adjustment to the rear suspension without too much hassle or problems.

It would be uber cool on the back of a new Power Wagon however...

The design is pretty cool. I watched all the videos on their website.

haven

Expedition Leader
Trader

The least expensive Innovan is an unfinished version of their camper called the Trader. It has the top that can be raised, and a back door. Otherwise there are no windows or compartment doors, and an unfinished interior. Price is about $12,500 USD.

840825_36_full.jpg

Innovan is willing to customize the Trader model to your specifications.

Chip Haven

haven

Expedition Leader
new XC off-road Innovan caravan

I received email from Welby Davidson, owner of Innovan. The company now offers a redesigned caravan (trailer) version of the Innovan:

innovanoff-road2.jpg

The off-road caravan uses a composite fiberglass molded body, mounted on a steel trailer chassis. The caravan suspension has independent trailing arms, supported by heavy duty air bags and equipped with disc brakes. A 3/4 hp air compressor and 5 gallon air tank are available to keep the air bags inflated, and to provide a reservoir of air to inflate your tow vehicle's tires.

The extended nose of the caravan provides a lot of enclosed storage space.

The dimensions of the caravan are
length 5075 mm
height 1800 mm closed, 3000 mm open
width ??
weight 1100 kg, with a high level of equipment, and with propane and water tanks filled
clearance 500 mm (air bags fully inflated)

length 200 inches
height 71 inches closed, 118 inches open
width ??
weight 2425 lbs, with a high level of equipment, and with propane and water tanks filled
clearance 19 inches (air bags fully inflated)

The underside of the caravan is flat to avoid hanging up on obstacles.

The caravan price ranges from $35K to $48K Australian dollars ( $32K to $44K US dollars) depending on equipment. An extensive options can add thousands more, but gives you the flexibility to create a custom vehicle.

The original Innovan, designed to slide onto a tray (flatbed), costs about $10,000 AUS ($9100 US dollars) less than the caravan.

Welby provided a price quote of about $3000 US dollars to ship the Innovan to USA. The 20 foot shipping container can fit two Innovan caravans or tray-top models, so buyers who coordinate shipping could share the expense.

For more information, see the website http://www.innovan.com.au

Pest

Adventurer
I know it's an old old thread, but I still want one! Seeing as how this costs around $23k US plus probably $3-4k shipping to the US vs. the XPCamper I saw was mentioned to be between $25-75k!!

Wish I had a money tree, that is all.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I know it's an old old thread, but I still want one! Seeing as how this costs around $23k US plus probably $3-4k shipping to the US vs. the XPCamper I saw was mentioned to be between $25-75k!!

Wish I had a money tree, that is all.

Buy your flatbed truck here, ship it to Australia, have Innovan put a box on the back, tour around Australia 'til your hearts content, then have the rig shipped back here.

Matter of fact, the truck and an Innovan trailer will probably both fit in a
30' ISO container, so you could ship a trailer back as well, then sell the trailer to offset your costs.

Just a thought. :)

Pest

Adventurer
Buy your flatbed truck here, ship it to Australia, have Innovan put a box on the back, tour around Australia 'til your hearts content, then have the rig shipped back here.

Matter of fact, the truck and an Innovan trailer will probably both fit in a
30' ISO container, so you could ship a trailer back as well, then sell the trailer to offset your costs.

Just a thought. :)

That is actually a fantastic thought, however, it requires that I have the funds and time upfront. Perhaps in a few years time that /might/ be /remotely/ possible, but then who knows what nifty new campers will be around by then!

Woob

Innovan imported to the US

That is actually a fantastic thought, however, it requires that I have the funds and time upfront. Perhaps in a few years time that /might/ be /remotely/ possible, but then who knows what nifty new campers will be around by then!

I'll ship two Innovan slide-ons here, if you buy the other one :)

Seriously, I really wish we could get these in the States!

Loulou

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles