Phoenix camper on Callen flatbed

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Hi Kermit,

I've been noticing this Tundra in my local San Diego Craigslist over the past week or so.

Somebody should capture these pics and post this idea up in the camper section. What a great idea!

Looks like he now lowered the price to $25,000

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/1022539295.html

Is this for real? A few days ago this same ad said $35,000.

..... Toyota Tundra based 4x4 RV Camper ......... - $25000 (Del Mar)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to: sale-1022539295@craigslist.org
Date: 2009-02-05, 3:05PM PST

BEST OFFER: Excellent Condition...
This is a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Limited with a Callen Camper (callencamper.com) flatbed and 2006 Phoenx Camper slide-in popup camper (phoenixcampers.com). The pop-up camper is a modified Warrier model. It was customized by the manufacturer to take advantage of the flatbed and utilize the full width without the normal constraint of a truck bed. (Note: I listed the model year as 2004 - half way between the camper and truck age)
Over $40,000 invested. Asking $25,000 OBO
The Truck
- 2002 Toyota Tundra Limited 4x4 (Leather package, Alarm etc..)
- Just paid registration and had new brakes. It needs nothing - everything works.
- $2,000 invested in supsension: Bilstein Front Suspension 2" lift. Rear additional leaf and firestone airbags.
- I am the second owner and its only been lightly off-road - just normal trailheads. Never been south of the border.
- No accidents.
- Only 9k on 32" BFG KO ATs
The Flat Bed
- The flat bed was built by callen campers in San Diego (callencamper.com). Its almost entirely aluminum and matches the dimensions of the camper.
- The bed weighs enough to retain the high quality tundra ride
- Drives like a stock tundra when the camper is not in use (ok, a stock tundra with larger tires and 2" lift - a little stiffer ride)

The Camper
- The popup camper is a modified 'Warrier' Model made by Phoenix Campers (phoenixcampers.com)
- 8' Standup height with poptop
- Nearly a king sized bed in the cabover
- Rieco Titan Camper Jacks
- Awning
- Fantastic vent

The camper has a bench seat, dinette table and popup bed with some storage areas. Other than that, it is open and free to be used in a variety of ways. Included with the camper is the following camping gear:
- Thetford C2 Casette toilet (waste goes into an easily removable casette) (Similar to the newer C402 model (http://www.thetford.com/Home/Products/PermanentToilets/C402CCassette/tabid/113/Default.aspx)
- Coleman Procat (Never used) http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=5053A751&categoryid=3000
- Coleman Hot Water On Demand (Never Used) http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2300B700&categoryid=2200
- Coleman Camp Kitchen http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=2142B700

I had plans to do more with the interior. As it is now, it can be configured or built out in a variety of ways to suit your needs.

Perfect camper for outdoorsmen - for mountain bikes, kayaks, surfers, windsurfers etc.

Compare to sportsmobile, earthroamer, roadtrek etc..

Vehicle is located in San Diego, pickup only.

b1b4_1.JPG

b253_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Scenic WonderRunner

Bump....for a good idea.

Don't know if it's real or not. New lowered price.

I'm wondering if his problem in selling it, is because the interior seems bare in the pics at the eBay ad.

Last edited by a moderator:

haven

Expedition Leader
This nifty popup camper on custom flatbed appeared on CraigsList in San Diego recently.
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/rvs/1022539295.html

Here's the rig in use
callen-4.jpg

The camper is a 'Warrior' Model made by Phoenix Campers. The
camper was modified at the factory for use on the flatbed.
http://www.phoenixcampers.com/
callen-1.jpg

The camper is easy to install on the flatbed
callen-2.jpg

The flatbed was made by Callen
callen-3.jpg

The owner says the total package cost about $40,000. The camper is a bare shell, empty inside,
so a finished camper will cost a bit more.

Chip Haven

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Thanks Chip,

I think this is an Awesome idea! Now if it were me. I would put holes in, all around the flatbed, so I could create a flatbed steakbed with nice wooden rails all around. And make a small flat piece to fill in that low back portion to make it truly a flatbed when the pop up is not in use.

It also seems that with this idea, you get a Wider pop up living area! No truck bed to hold you back. Full truck width.

More options should be placed along the sides of the flatbed. Storage, Propane, Water, Fuel.....etc.

I just love this!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Third time posted here WTHIJ. That "might" be where you've seen it.... :)

I've merged all threads and posts into this one.

:coffee:

yosemitetim

That was my custom Tundra/Phoenix Camper build

This thread might be dead now, but just in case anyone is listening
That was my build. I just joined this portal, which is too bad, because I should have advertised it here.

Thanks for the props folks. It was my first custom build and there were a couple problems.

1. The Tundra's GVWR is not much more than a tacoma, so I couldn't build it out any further with water tanks, heater etc.. I had to keep it bare bones inside. The remedy would have been to build it on an F250, but that kind of defeted the purpose of it also being a daily driver as the F250 is kind of a beast.

2. Getting the camper on was hard; it was difficult to line up the camper on to the flat bed. This could be remedied by designing some slide-in guides.

It drove quite nicely, camper on or camper off. Tundra had the power, just not the axle strength. With the weight though, I never felt comfortable doing any serious off roading.

Email me if anyone has any questions.

Tim

dzzz

This thread might be dead now, but just in case anyone is listening
That was my build. I just joined this portal, which is too bad, because I should have advertised it here.

Thanks for the props folks. It was my first custom build and there were a couple problems.

1. The Tundra's GVWR is not much more than a tacoma, so I couldn't build it out any further with water tanks, heater etc.. I had to keep it bare bones inside. The remedy would have been to build it on an F250, but that kind of defeted the purpose of it also being a daily driver as the F250 is kind of a beast.

2. Getting the camper on was hard; it was difficult to line up the camper on to the flat bed. This could be remedied by designing some slide-in guides.

It drove quite nicely, camper on or camper off. Tundra had the power, just not the axle strength. With the weight though, I never felt comfortable doing any serious off roading.

Email me if anyone has any questions.

Tim

Get looking build.
The weight sneaks up, doesn't it? There's a 10' alaskan custom build here that's pushing 14k lbs. GVW

An F350 at a similar length to a Tundra would be similar to drive. I've tried to work with toyota specs on a camper with some water/fuel/supply carry ability and it's hopeless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke