MAC vs. PC

toyrunner95

Explorer
I am looking at converting all my stuff to mac. The main reason for this is because im getting more and more into media and web design.

So my question is: which is better for navigation?

I have a couple laptops, one is pretty much a hard drive with a screen and keyboard, which is what I was thinking about using as my nav comp in the vehicle. The other is my daily use comp and does a pretty good job. I might stick with a PC because I already have the nav software for it.

I really think it would be just a pain to have both kinds at once. I mean, If im out and about, and I want to dump the memory card on my camera, I don't want to dump them on to a comp thats not compatible with the mac. its kinda frustrating. What do you guys think.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Switch.

There isn't enough to be said about the advantages of Macs and their operating system. I haven't owned an anti-virus or anti-spyware program for five years. Try that with any PC.

Yes, there are still a very few areas for which Mac compatibility is still an issue (and one of those is navigation), but even those are diminishing, and mostly hyped by those who cling to PCs and need some sort of justification!

I've never known a single person to switch to a Mac computer and then go back to a PC.

For media and web design there is no comparison.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
This is my first post on this forum from a mac, just hooked it up, just turned it on. I scored a Mac Mini with lots of software extras for $350 and its less than 6mos old - even came with Bootcamp and Windows XP freshly installed. My next purchase is a MacBook - then give my PC laptop to my son. I'm running it currently on my 47" LCD TV and its jaw dropping incredible, web navigation is lightning fast, even using my wireless USB PC keyboard & mouse. I love this little sucker!

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Just bought my third MAC. It is an 20" iMac and I'm now running Windows XP on it also. Compared to my 12" Powerbook the screen is GIGANTIC!! I have a few Windows only apps for work and it is awesome to use.
Never going back, EVER!

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I've never known a single person to switch to a Mac computer and then go back to a PC.

You do now. Me....

For no other reason than I wasn't working in the publishing arena anymore and I had no other uses for Quark, I went back to my PC.

I'm not 'pro' or 'anti' either system. PC was in my budget, Mac wasn't. Simple as that.

articulate

Expedition Leader
So my question is: which is better for navigation?
The truth is that if you use a Garmin GPS, you'll have a hell of a time finding Nav software that will run on a Mac that will also let you upload maps, routes, and waypoints to your GPS. As far as breadth of navigation software and choices, PCs win.

You need to look at what's available for your brand of GPS for a Mac. I didn't consider this when I bought a Mac, and I still have to use a PC to run Mapsource and Topo.

Macs, though, are beautiful and stable machines, and there's a reason when designers prefer Macs and their apps.

toyrunner95

Explorer
Are there any problems transferring files from PC to MAC, like JPEGs and what not?

I may stick with a PC in the truck and keep a MAC at home. The reasons for this are as follows; PCs are pretty cheap. $800 will get me a decent laptop. A MAC on the other hand is about $1200 for the cheapest (I have found) and I really don't want to take a $1200 comp in my truck where it could get stolen. If I can transfer things easily I might get a MAC for home use and stick with a PC in the truck.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
All major file formats (minus Microsoft's) are basically de-facto specs. JPEG for instance is nearly universally accepted. Mac, Windows, AIX, VMS, Linux, BSD, OS/400, Pskhaatix, &c, &c.

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
I recently got more and more into video and editing trip movies from my adventures and recently made the switch to MAC. I'm about a week into it and am getting comfortable, made my first video using Final Cut Studio. I love the Mac and the Final Cut hands down. I found a used Macbook pro 15" less than a year old, LOADED with software etc for a steal on craigslist, lots of Mac users out there that want the latest/greatest and will cut great deals on their old stuff.

Robthebrit

Explorer
I am have a Mac and loads of PCs and I have no real perference but would say the Mac is better for general browsing, its way easier to use and I know Windows inside and out - if you are not so familiar with Windows then the Mac would probably win hands down.

All the apps you need for media production are available on both and will load each others files with any problems so there is no need to use a PC if you don't want to. (I personally don't like Safari so I use firefox on the Mac and Chrome on the PC).

The only reason I stick with the PC for a desktop machine is because A) The software I need doesn't readily run on a Mac (yeah I can dual boot or run one of the emulators but thats a pain) and more importantly B) The Mac desktops are nowhere near powerful enough (I did install OSX on a 16 core AMD reference box and it ran flawlessly - I posted the info in another thread).

Rob

I recently got more and more into video and editing trip movies from my adventures and recently made the switch to MAC. I'm about a week into it and am getting comfortable, made my first video using Final Cut Studio. I love the Mac and the Final Cut hands down. I found a used Macbook pro 15" less than a year old, LOADED with software etc for a steal on craigslist, lots of Mac users out there that want the latest/greatest and will cut great deals on their old stuff.

TCM

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0006
The truth is that if you use a Garmin GPS, you'll have a hell of a time finding Nav software that will run on a Mac that will also let you upload maps, routes, and waypoints to your GPS. As far as breadth of navigation software and choices, PCs win.

You need to look at what's available for your brand of GPS for a Mac. I didn't consider this when I bought a Mac, and I still have to use a PC to run Mapsource and Topo.

Macs, though, are beautiful and stable machines, and there's a reason when designers prefer Macs and their apps.

Now that Garmin Bobcat is out of Beta and renamed to Roadtrip I have found that a PC is no longer necessary to run Garmin mapping software. Roadtrip works seamlessly on the Mac platform. I have Topo and City Navigator loaded on Roadtrip plus a bunch of other Garmin maps from GPSFileDepot and they all work great. Tracks, routes and waypoints transfer back and forth without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier