Comprehensive list of "Expo" tires?

dustboy

Explorer
At risk of sounding like a total wuss, I have been really happy with my BFG Rugged Trails in 265/70R16. These tires came on a set of craigslist factory alloys from an '07 Taco.

They seem to have the same sidewall/ride characteristics as the A/Ts, they have hooked up everywhere when I thought they wouldn't, and they are amazingly quiet. They are quieter than the 225mm Geolandars I had before. So for a truck that is a daily driver and on the road 99% of its miles, they seem like a pretty good choice.

I'm on the fence about my next tires, it's either these or the BFG A/Ts.

Cackalak Han

Explorer
BFG Rugged Trails? Barf. They are the stock tires on the TRD models, but the ones I had were absolutely horrible. Even on-road. They slipped and slid all over the place in light rain and even worse in snow. Definitely not recommended expo tires. BFG A/T's are a 1000% improvement.

Guinness44

Adventurer
BFG also. KM2, (or the old MT) if one even thinks about the 3letter word: mud. Even a tiny bit of mud gloggs up the AT (we do run that on the Ram, and already regretted that decision. The only reason went with the AT, to get the winter symbol, to be legal without chains. Very good on blacktop ride.

BFG ATs work great for everything, except a bit or a lot of mud. good on blacktop.
BFG MTs, work great, not sure about the frozen white stuff, no snowrating symbol on it.
Goodyear MTR, round??? o.k. on blacktop
Goodyear MT, round? tough so. (A total flat, and not smashed to the rim, but running beadlock). Rough ride.
Yokohama AT, was ok, but once worn down, lots of rocks poaked thrugh the thread, also much less lateral control than the BFG AT (noseheavy Cummins).
Running diesel trucks, the noise of any of the above is not a worry.

Running fullsize, to keep wear, and vibration down, we use centramatics on all. Works well for lost weights, dont fix out of round tires or bent rims.

98dango

Expedition Leader
i looked at the silent armor but could not get them in the size i neede at the time and looking at the list thay still dont have a size i can run

teotwaki

Excelsior!
As a guy whose spent over 10 years in the tire industry, I find it hard to believe nobody has brought up the Goodyear Silent Armor tire. With it's kevlar build, winter traction rating, and hybrid tread design, it is hands down one of the best all purpose tires on the market. They are exceptional in snow, sand, mud, gravel, and the quietest tire around. c'mon guys.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...ine=Wrangler+SilentArmor&mrktarea=Light Truck

I went to that link and they seem to be unsure if they are using Dupont...... note the question mark.

Wrangler SilentArmor
Featuring DuPont? Kevlar® For Rugged Toughness And A Smooth, Quiet
Ride​

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
I went to that link and they seem to be unsure if they are using Dupont...... note the question mark.

Wrangler SilentArmor
Featuring DuPont? Kevlar® For Rugged Toughness And A Smooth, Quiet
Ride​

The ? is supposed to be a ©....seems they have typos as well as numerous posts on this thread.

BTW on www.tirerack.com they go from $125.00 and up, but although their sizing is quite extensive, it is nowhere near to what BFG has for similar tires...I cannot see a 33x10.5x15 or 33x9.5x15 which I prefer on my rig.

Last edited:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I just bought my second set of Bridgestone Revos. I happened to latch onto a special Firestone discount of 35%.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Regarding zjsheller's coments:
I've got a total of about 5 years in the tire industry, first 1.5 years in a Costco garage doing installs, and the rest with 2 different national tire distributors.
To be honest, other than the guys that deal with Goodyear tires, there's really not a lot of respect for that name brand. The customers I deal with (all tireshops) can buy GY products, but they rarely do. They will go through a GY supplier to match up if a customer has a damaged one, but they usually won't go out and try to "sell" GY products.
The typical opinion I have run into is that they are overpriced compared to other options, run into more warranty issues than other brands, and don't have quite the longevity of other brands.
Just doesn't seem to be a great bang for the buck, and it's hard to keep customers happy with those options, and coming back for return business.
Now, the shops with specific Goodyear product programs may very well get deeper discounts and offer the tires at a lower retail price level, and be more attractive to the consumer, but all the other stores choose not to sell Goodyear tires.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
I had a set of the Revo A/Ts on my truck for a couple of years and loved them. My current shoes are the Nitto Terra Grappler A/Ts and they have been great so far. Pretty quiet on the highway, does well on the sand and moderate mud that I have played in since I got them.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
A note on the Nitto Tera's...
They are the same tire as the Toyo Open Country A/T -- same company, same tread, same molds.
Just an Fyi if you're ever in a pinch and need a matching tire. ;)

OTR

Adventurer
I just bought my second set of Bridgestone Revos. I happened to latch onto a special Firestone discount of 35%.

x2. But, I went with the Firestone M/T's. I was going to go with the BFG KM2's but couldn't pass up the 35% savings.

I have the Firestone Destination MT on my Dodge Diesel truck. I haven't had any problems with them so far. They are a bit slippery on the ice but other then that I'm pleased with them.

Fulltimer

Observer
Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers

Dunlop Radial Mud Rovers: Here is Florida we have lots of mud so they work real well for that. They are soft so I don't expect good wear out of them. They seem to grip well on just about anything. Because of the soft rubber compound I rotate them with each oil change.

Terry
du_radial_mud_rover.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke