Expedition TJ Buildup....

thejafe

Adventurer
John B said:
OT...

My photo's...they look so clear and crisp when on my laptop and at photopoint. When i post them they get less than....good.

Am i doing something wrong? Bad digital camera?

hmm not sure about the quality thing... that's odd. Where was that pic taken??

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
thejafe said:
Where was that pic taken??

Buffalo Gap National Grasslands, just outside Badlands NP in South Dakota Oct 05.

The Teal YJ is Cowboy here and the Red YJ is my son's Jeep. We threw this trip together at last minute (30 DAYS) and i was not able to take my Cherokee. I'v had an itch for a ragtop since.

CLynn85

Explorer
That's what really gets me. No one around here in the Jeep community is up for that kind of stuff. They just want to go bigger and try and break their stuff while digging up the countryside. That pic with the 2 YJ's makes me happy.

thejafe

Adventurer
CLynn85 said:
That's what really gets me. No one around here in the Jeep community is up for that kind of stuff. They just want to go bigger and try and break their stuff while digging up the countryside. That pic with the 2 YJ's makes me happy.

I posted the same thread over on Jeepforum where I have well over 2k posts. Most of the guys I run with are not impressed with my buildup plans :mad: . I've been trying to defend my decisions. Their take is that I'd be limiting myself and the capabilities of my rig by staying with 32's and not regearing. Within the last few weeks many of them have made major improvements to their vehicles; bumped up to 33's from stock, purchased tow vehicles, Air-Rock suspensions etc....

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
thejafe said:
I posted the same thread over on Jeepforum where I have well over 2k posts. Most of the guys I run with are not impressed with my buildup plans :mad: . I've been trying to defend my decisions. Their take is that I'd be limiting myself and the capabilities of my rig by staying with 32's and not regearing. Within the last few weeks many of them have made major improvements to their vehicles; bumped up to 33's from stock, purchased tow vehicles, Air-Rock suspensions etc....

Most of the people over at JF, JU, BBS, MJR, GLJT, etc., are into rock crawling. Most of them do not see the draw of expedition travel, therefor do not see the reasoning behind plans like yours. In their mind (and when I say "their", I mean the forum community in general, not each individual..there are ALWAYS exceptions), building a jeep for expedition travel is as pointless as building a rock crawler is to most of the people on this board.

Don't be afraid to go against the flow. I did, and I like it. If someone else doesn't like it, they can go find a different trail, and we'll both be happy. Problem solved.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
goodtimes said:
...Even with my current configuration (in which the interior consists of a drivers seat, center console, and a whole bunch of flat platform), there really isn't enough room to live for more than a week or two if you are travelling solo....

....Don't be afraid to go against the flow. I did, and I like it. If someone else doesn't like it, they can go find a different trail, and we'll both be happy. Problem solved.

Wow, I can't believe it but I'm agreeing with GT!

And you can live out of a Jeep for more than week or two but it helps if you're anti-social and have several issues. :xxrotflma

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
thejafe...i had been following that thread as you know. I knew what course that thread would follow...i'v seen it happen before. (XXXPEDITION) over at NAXJA. Thats why i pointed you here...

I'v been there..as have others. My XJ once sat on 9" of lift with 36" Swampers. Although i never broke i was constantly replacing worn /damaged components....and fenders. Then one day it dawned on me i hated driving it because it was such an effort...and forget about driving it cross country. I made the decision it had to come back down for a trip to the North Woods.

I'm currently doing a rebuild of my Jeep to make it into something i can run moderate trails and run cross country...because i believe i can have my cake and eat it too.

Follow your interests...not someone else's. And let the rockcrawlers to their thing....dont let the Expedition thing outta the bag....otherwise the beaches at Baja, Monument Valley, and other secluded and awesome scenic areas around this country may eventually look like the staging area at Paragon. :yikes:

Rock....err.... :camping: on :exclaim:

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
God, I love ExPo. :ylsmoke:

I started out bitten by the trail-riding bug as many do. Logical progression was to build bigger, and run harder trails. Eventually discovered that I didn't like 1) building and wrenching, and 2) obstacle-centric wheelin' - and that I loved exploration, touring off-highway, and the accompanying unexpected challenges. It took me several years to figure that out, and I feel a little alienated by the mindset.

LUISJG

Explorer
thejafe said:

DONT LISTEN...
i now run 31's on my cherokee and couldnt be happier...., and used to run 33,s on my tj...
33's realy suck for gas milage. and highway speed.

i only had a 2 inch lift on my tj and could do almost everything the 4 inchers did.

so stay cool. and get what you want,,,keepeing in mind wht your jeep be for..... expedition or rockcrawling..

Last edited:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
CLynn85 said:
That pic with the 2 YJ's makes me happy.

We were happy, sitting in the middle of nowhere, the howling of the Coyote, the Milky Way from horizon to horizon...nothing could dampen our spirits.

Until we ran across this poor bastard.

HPIM1198.jpg

:hehe:

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
He looks too comfortable to be a dead man.

(... to completely hijack Andrew's thread)

At least we arent arguing with his decision on parts....we'll leave that to the JeepForum crowd. :sport_box :

What was this thread about?

:xxrotflma

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
kcowyo said:
Wow, I can't believe it but I'm agreeing with GT!

Run for the hills! All hell is about to break loose!

kcowyo said:
And you can live out of a Jeep for more than week or two but it helps if you're anti-social and have several issues. :xxrotflma

Yea, I have those things covered...but after a week, I'm looking for a hot shower and a soft bed....at least for a night or two.

thejafe

Adventurer
kcowyo said:

I would have no problem at all living out of my TJ if I had one of these ;) :

IMG_9814.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles