Expedition TJ Buildup....

thejafe

Adventurer
Well, there's a small delay in getting my new OME shocks on the Jeep. 3 of them are in and 100% done :victory: . However, I'm running JKS Bar Pin Eliminators on the old Rubicon Express shocks and they use allen head bolts, one of which is totally stripped out. The guys I go wheelin' with are having a wrenching party next weekend and we're gonna attempt to go at the bolt then. Looks like I'll be on one odd shock for a week :( .

Painted the steering stabilizer with some black Rustoleoum and waiting for that to dry, tomorrow it gets a second coat and hopefully I'll have it in on monday.

For your viewing pleasure I'll see if I can get some pics up tomorrow of the side that's done... looks real good, I must say ;) .

thejafe

Adventurer
IMG_6186.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6193.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

thejafe

Adventurer
Thanks for the compliments guys :D .

The shocks are now available straight from ARB in black. I did have to paint the steering stabilizer gloss black to match though. No biggie.

86cj

Explorer
thejafe,
I just ended up here after my last trip, when I started researching roof top tents and stumbled in here. I met you at JU,I think you PM'd about my wheels.Are jeeps are really similar, you're plans will work great don't apologize to anybody.

I was planning on DD, some wheeling and as a toad when we bought the LJ....
But the road manners are so good it is evolving into just what you talked about,driving 1500-2000 miles just to get to wheeling spot.Which I found usually (other than short rockcrawling trails) is not very challenging but offers unbelievable veiws and the solitude needed to survive the daily drag of working 49 weeks a year. So we leave camper at home break out tent and stop to smell the pine needles, just like the old CJ days.......
I never had a SWB with coil springs,so I can't comment on ride but can relate to room issues, we took CJ all over the place.
If you want it as much as you do everything you need to have fun will fit and work fine. Somebody always has "earthroamer bucks" don't sweat it,Seems like nobody here cares.......... I'm Glad to have joined lot's great info....

Vehicle:04 Unlimited
Sport all options

Wheels/tires: AEV argent 16x8, 285-16 MT/R's, 1.25" spidertrax

Suspension:3" BDS springs Air lift bags in rear, Bilstein 5100 shocks, JKS quick disconnects and front trackbar, stock rear trackbar w/OME bracket

Steering / Arms: JKS upper and lower in rear, BDS front lower, stock upper,
Currie HD tie rods.

Armor: KOZ Offroad custom cage, Skidrow oil pan, stock shovel,front diff guard, more to come..

Bumpers:ARB front no winch yet, KOZ Offroad custom rear.

Misc:Hi lift cage mount,Cobra CB and ant, Big tuffy box,Geneva wheelwell toolbx,small diamond plate tool box,cooler shelf with upcoming slide out, rear tailgate shelf.......

Last edited:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I just wanted to say that you jeep looks like an excellent platform and I really like the AEV rims, nice choice!

:eatchicke

86cj

Explorer
FourByLand I just wanted to say that you jeep looks like an excellent platform and I really like the AEV rims, nice choice

Thanks for the thumbs up. I did not start with a set plan, but did lift it w/ a BB and 33's with only 36 miles and wheels are very good quality.
The rest has just been an evolution and inspiration to keep moving and travel light.
This group is kind of a de ja vu after some trips we have done..I hope I can help as well as pick up lot's of tip's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles