Anyone taking X's south of the border?

Pushbutton

Hello, I'm new to the forums and had a few questions.

I'm looking at building a rig and I was wondering if anyone knew what the availability of parts for gen 2 Xterras is in Central America, specifically the Belize/Guatemala area. I know toyotas are a dime a dozen and a 80 LC would be a good way to go, however, I am not a fan of the price or the options available in the US. This lead me to look into gen 2 X's because I can get a 05 with less than half the miles that are on a mid-90s LC for the same price. So back to my question, are parts available enough that the X is a viable option or should I suck it up and get the LC?

Another question I had about the X. Is the Off Road version worth it for the rear e-locker? Or is it easy enough to get a S and just replace the diff? Thanks!

EDIT: I also am far more experienced with the VQ powerplant that anything from Toyota.

Last edited:

mcm4090

Explorer
are parts available enough that the X is a viable option or should I suck it up and get the LC?.

If Nissan sell a Navara D40 with a VQ in Central America then there should be no problem getting parts in that area. The suspension, engine, and powertrian are about 90% the same.

Another question I had about the X. Is the Off Road version worth it for the rear e-locker? Or is it easy enough to get a S and just replace the diff? Thanks!
If you look at Creek's build here you can see how he did his with no problem.

Pushbutton

Thanks for the info. The D40 is not sold there (based off Guatemala) only the D21. They do sell the X-Trail, Pathfinder, Patrol, Murano, and the Frontier. This is nearly the same lineup as Mexico, only with the Titan. None of these share the any engine found in a Xterra. Humm... unfortunate. Anyone have any info on the above vehicles in regards to the Xterra or should I just pick up the LC?

Navman

Adventurer
Thanks for asking this, since I'm going through the same thing. I am planning a couple of trips to Baja and then further south and it's at the point now that I don't trust my aging Land Rover beyond local trips. I am going back and forth between a Toyota and an X. If I get the X I would like to get the OR to skip the hassle of doing it myself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles