Ford Ranger build up....

outdoorsman

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger 4x4 auto with the 4.0L. I've done a lot to it since getting it in 2006. I like to wheel local trails and I'm an avid outdoorsman (hence my forum name). I like to stay practical and after looking around, expedition type trucks are the category that fit my style. Economic, tough, reliable, and somewhat self sufficient.

The problem with a Ford Ranger is that there isn't much aftermarket support for the newer Rangers. Everything armor wise has to be a custom job. As far as suspension lifts there really aren't any. I'd just want a small 2" type lift like the Toyota guys have (coil springs set-up), but this truck has torsion bars and if you crank them the truck rides like crap, similiar deal with torsion keys (I know, I've tried). I'm stuck at stock height and maybe someday somehting will come up so I can add some lift. I don't want a whole kit like Super Lift (which leaves torsion bars hanging down low at stock height kit is almost 2k plus you need different front drive shaft add on $500). Besides that the only other kit is the Long Travel Dixon Brothers kit and I'm not about to spend $5k on a lt kit (kit itself is 3k, but add on shocks, premium bump stops, glass fenders etc, yeah it's pricey).

Here is a list of the more major mods:
Custom front bumper with built in hitch
Frame mounted Rock Sliders
4 KC lights (2 spots, 2 driving)
Multi mount winch with Warn wiring run front and back
Innovation Camper Shell (now out of business)
Rear lock-right for the Ford 8.8
Solid rear diff cover
BFG A/Ts current size 265/70/16 (next set will be 265/75/16)
Rear back-up lights
CB Radio
Tranny cooler/oil cooler
Hi-lift mounted in bed
2 spare tires
150psi air compressor
Some custom skid plates (gas tank and front)
Optima Red Top
Scanguage
Gibson exhaust
electric break controller

Some pics of my truck....

Mostly stock
newtruck_03Small.jpg

newtruckSmall.jpg

Front end....

100_4173-1.jpg

100_3765-4.jpg

100_3900-4.jpg

Had hitch re-built and added two more lights..

100_4541-1.jpg

100_4547.jpg

The bed..
100_3497-1.jpg

Last edited:

outdoorsman

More recent pics of wheeling and stuff...

wickenburgmonday051.jpg

DSC02252.jpg

DSC02289.jpg

DSC02296.jpg

Newyearsday09089.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

Newyearsday09165.jpg

Newyearsday09167.jpg

Here is a good shot that shows my sliders.

IMG_0099-1.jpg

ok those are enough pictures, lol!

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Wow awesome job! I really like your front bumper! I've heard great things about these little trucks in offroad applications.

outdoorsman

Yeah it'll go anywhere I point it, that is how I lost my facotry bumper. Only problem is the longer wheelbase, but it's better when it comes to long trips where a Jeep doesn't have the room, plus I sleep in the bed on a cot. The pictures are out of order as far as completion. The pic with the truck in the snow with chains on you can see the exposed radiator, it now has an aluminum type of spalsh guard/skid to keep debris, like tree branches and stuff from puncturing it or messing it up.

outdoorsman

Here are a few more pictures I found.

My rear back-up lights can be seen these pictures.
IMG_3273.jpg

IMG_3269.jpg

Diff cover, nothing super special.

100_4044.jpg

Taking a dip in the water, a little deep...
n1345819113_74987_2160.jpg

Here you can see my oh so wonderful open front diff not helping the situation (though better than no front axle).
n1345819113_74989_2853.jpg

Last edited:

Zorro

Adventurer
As far as suspension lifts there really aren't any. I'd just want a small 2" type lift like the Toyota guys have (coil springs set-up), but this truck has torsion bars and if you crank them the truck rides like crap, similiar deal with torsion keys (I know, I've tried). I'm stuck at stock height and maybe someday somehting will come up so I can add some lift. I don't want a whole kit like Super Lift (which leaves torsion bars hanging down low at stock height kit is almost 2k plus you need different front drive shaft add on $500). Besides that the only other kit is the Long Travel Dixon Brothers kit and I'm not about to spend $5k on a lt kit (kit itself is 3k, but add on shocks, premium bump stops, glass fenders etc, yeah it's pricey).
Check out RCD : http://www.racecardynamics.com/products/suspensions/ford/ford.htm

It's higher than you want, but it's a coilover conversion without the extra costs of the insane long travel kits out there. There again, with the long wheelbase a decent amount of lift can help ...

The Ranger isn't popular around here but I like mine, the size is just right and it's capable enough.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Very cool, and love the color despite most members here being white-centric! I just bought my daughter a 94 Ranger x-cab 4.0 4x4 and she cant wait to take it out and start exploring - we plan on heading down to Anza-Borrego/Ocotillo Wells in the next month or so to get the tires dirty for the first time. Enjoy your truck & welcome to the site!

NorCalBronco

Observer
Nice Ranger! They are my favourite of the little trucks by far. I really like what you did with the front end. Custom bumpers really help out these trucks alot, its like a 10 inch lift for the front end as far as the body is concerned lol. Where did you get the sliders?

outdoorsman

Check out RCD : http://www.racecardynamics.com/products/suspensions/ford/ford.htm

It's higher than you want, but it's a coilover conversion without the extra costs of the insane long travel kits out there. There again, with the long wheelbase a decent amount of lift can help ...

The Ranger isn't popular around here but I like mine, the size is just right and it's capable enough.

That is only for Rangers up to 2002. I'd have to get smaller breaks up front to run that kit. Also when I e-mailed them about it they told me it has been discontinued. Some other Ranger websites I frequent have also mentioned this. The only decent kit made for the truck is no longer available.

Zorro

Adventurer
That is only for Rangers up to 2002. I'd have to get smaller breaks up front to run that kit. Also when I e-mailed them about it they told me it has been discontinued. Some other Ranger websites I frequent have also mentioned this. The only decent kit made for the truck is no longer available.
Wow, that sucks!
Another option, have you checked out Camburg? Their entry level is a coilover conversion as well, they say it's for 2001-2008 ... does it work on non-Edge Rangers?
http://camburg.com/fordsprodEDGE.html

preacherman

Explorer
I had a red 93 4x4 with a shell, looked a lot like yours. I drove that truck everywhere, all over the San Juans. Black bear, Imogene pass, Engineers pass, you name it that truck did it. The only mod I had was AT tires, it never missed a beat.

Great build, keep it coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles