Thread: VOLVO TGB Expedition Camper

Hi Hugo

I think it does, and one big advantage is that it keeps the weight down.
    I have however not driven ours much, the projetc is on hold at the moment.

I think you should go to Sweden instead, that's where they come from!

Best Regards, Christian
    meus gramen est magis viridis
    "my grass is greener"

JUGGERNAUT '87 Toyota LC HJ61
    TERRAINCRUISER '75 VOLVO TGB13 converted to diesel

Old Mule '80 Toyota LC HJ45, mothballed
    The Wife's '82 Toyota LC BJ42
    '71 Beetle convertible, hierloom to be resurrected...

Hello everyone, Great reading this thread, lots of info. I just picked up a 75 C-304 myself, however I have a bit of an odd problem and was hoping some of you could point me in the right direction - the steering wheel I have is non-functional, the previous owner was an artist who hacked apart the original steering wheel and custom made his own aluminum one specifically for him. He was also very, very short. I'm 6'1" and cannot raise my leg high enough to reach the brake with the current wheel, and cannot find a replacement original wheel or an adapter that would fit. Do any of you happen to know what type of adapter might work for this beast, or where there may be an original wheel for sale? I've tried everywhere I can think of with no results, and it's very annoying to have this sitting in front of my house for half a month now without being able to drive it.

Thanks!

What are the weight capacities (GAWR) of the 303 and 306 axels? Is there a difference front vs rear?
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is
    You don't inherit the world from your parents, you borrow it from your children

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    Take a look at http://www.trog.us/ for inspiration. That is a beautiful and mammoth build
    He's finally done some updates after over a year, very cool

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Guys, someone knows interesting facts about Volvo FMX? It's pretty impressive truck. May be someone see it in action or know about it's reliability?

Well, might as well jump into this old thread too!

Getting ready to buy one of these trucks. Thinking about having Vince Sweeney import one.

Here's what we want to do with it, add a custom FlipPac to the roof!

(Quick mock-up my son made with MS Paint program).

With a large hole cut in the rear roof, we will have standing room in the back for stove, fridge, etc., AND a huge bed over the cab!

Your roof tent idea looks interesting. There is a nice tan C303 in Santa Cruz, CA that has a Maggiolina on top--it is also for sale at this time--you can find reference to it in the sale section. You might want to check it out for inspiration.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Greg (a.k.a. Hafwit)
    1967 Steyr-Puch Swiss military Haflinger
    1975 Volvo Swedish military TGB111
    2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition

Linus Tremaine's rig IS my inspiration for my idea! Coupled with the recent FlipPac/JK Habitat action on this new to me forum, and voila!

I think it'sthe best of both worlds for the Volvo's. As long as the hinge is placed roughly over the junction between cab and rear section, and front supports are fastened to the front bumper, you should be able to get almost a queen size bed, AND a small living area below.

I'm not sure the biggest FlipPac would even be big enough to take advantage of the huge roof, so I might have to buy the hindge/torsion assembly from them and have the glass work and tentwork done locally. That is if the torsion bar would even be wide enough!

Now if I can fit a wide screen, microwave, and a Barcalounger in the back, I'd live in the damn thing down by the river!

Personally, I prefer to tow a lightweight offroad trailer with a roof tent mounted on it. If I didn't have the set up already, I might have considered something similar to your plan. After the magazine article came out showing the C303 with the Maggiolina, I tried to get Linus to share more detailed pictures of his vehicle but couldn't get him to do so. There seem to be quite a few other modifications to that vehicle that would perhaps be of interest to the group. If you have influence, maybe you can persuade him to share.

Cheers,
    Greg
    Greg (a.k.a. Hafwit)
    1967 Steyr-Puch Swiss military Haflinger
    1975 Volvo Swedish military TGB111
    2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail Edition

I tried to get more pics, but he doesn't have many. Too bad, too. You're right, that's a very nice rig. Seems well set-up, if not a little tail heavy.

Personally, trailers are out for me. I haul them for a living, and when I retire, the only thing I wanna be draggin' is my *****!

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast