Bed slider

ThomD

Explorer
I'm working my way through my crazy ideas about trailers. One potential issue for me is accessing whatever is in the front of the trailer, especially on the hinge side of the box. Taking the idea of the fridge slider to the next level, what does everyone think about something like this:

bigfoot3_lg.jpg

Proper mounting and dealing with weight transfer are issues, but I think would make it much easier to get to the far reaches of the trailer.

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
I've been considering the same thing...one thing to think about is space above the sliding tray - you lose a lot of vertical space from teh hardware...on a short trailer w/flat lid, that could be a dealbreaker...on my M416, I have about 1 inch above my actionpacker till it hits the lid, not enough space for an off-the-shelf sliding tray...

WFTW

Adventurer
If the wheel wells of your truck stick into the bed, then you'll loose space there as well. Although, I'm not sure what how to fix the problem you're trying to solve...just don't think the sliding draw is the answer.

Capt Sport

Adventurer
I don't know about putting one in a trailer, but I will be putting on in my truck. I've got a high rise cap on my truck and don't have the height issue. This will allow me to have my bed on top and my gear below without the hassle of moving stuff around to make my bed. Also, depending how you install the slide you can block off the area around the wheel wells and access it from above for additional storage.

mrchips

Adventurer
Sounds good, but the tail gate is smaller than the overall dimensions in a Chaser, so I dont see it really working there. For me I am really tall so I am able to access everything in my Chaser and it is on 33 tires.

fj40fax

Observer
Check out the canadian made metal trailer thread. He made the area in front of the wheel wells into compartments that can be accessed from the outside. That would allow the slide out to work nicely.

fjcruzn

Observer
I've been thinking of doing the same thing myself for my M-416 trailer I'm building. I've been working with the same company that builds most of the truck bed slides to get a price.

I'll be happy to pass along the info once we get a cost estimate from them.

cheers,

dale

I would think you would have to be careful of how much weight is on slider when it comes out. You dont have the counterweight of a truck engine.

rockman

Adventurer
Try looking at Adventure Camping and Offroad Trailers in Aus ..... have a look through it and see how they slide there full-size bed out , maybe some idea's .

Cheers

rdsk8ter

Observer
here is my slider. It sits 1/4" off the "floor" and has a 500lb at full extention rating. Old stainless steel counter off craigslist and some hd sliders

rearslideout.jpg

rearslide.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles