M101CDN offroad RTT trailer

Titanpat57

Expedition Leader
Great progress and congrats!!!!

Safe and quick return...5 weeks will fly and the weather will be better by then:wings: Good luck

highlandercj-7

Explorer
Heck yeah! That thing looks even more wicked hitched to your rig! It's one of the sweetest mil trailers yet. You need a pin stripe or two tone paint to show off the fender work! It needs something to show the break betweek the tub and fender line. The sweet fab work is camo'd lol.

Overland

Observer
well even though i am away at work we have the amazing internet so at least i can shop for jeep/trailer stuff. i ordered the 42watt foldable solar panel with solar controller from Vitabon on ebay and a waterproof (boat) 12volt switch panel and all the wiring and connectors to hook everything up. when i get home (3 weeks to go) i will finish up the 12 volt power and solar charging setup. also ordered the LED's to light up inside the tent, underneath the trailer and inside the trailer. still have the propane and water plumbing to work out.

also got a bunch of 'quick fists' for external or internal mounting of things like fire ext., shovel, fishing rods or what have you.

swamper

good work

i like what your are doing, the craftsman ship looks above average, I hope that you get many good trips out of it. SWAMPER.

toyrover

Observer
I was wondering if you could elaborate on how you switched the lights from 24 volt to 12 volt? Did you just switch the bulbs?

Overland

Observer
I was wondering if you could elaborate on how you switched the lights from 24 volt to 12 volt? Did you just switch the bulbs?

i wish it had been that easy....but it actually wasnt too hard. i opened up the light bodies, there are circuit bords in there for the night time military running lights....throw them away. now the 24volt bulbs, hang onto them so you can take them to the parts store and match the twist lock pins on them for the same but on 12volt bulbs. comming out the back on my light bodies there are 4 wires, i just used 2. the light body is the ground, so just test the wires for which one goes to the centre pin on each of the bulb mounts. these are the only 2 you need, one for brake/signal, one for running lights. the other 2 that were the night time military stuff i just cut off. go get your 12 volt bulbs that fit, hook up the 2 wires that you need and voila...12 volt trailer lights. i am not at home or i would get some pics for ya. hope this help anyway.

oh yeah i removed the whole wiring harness from the trailer and ran all new wires and did the connections right at the back of the light bodies just so everything was new and i could then use a 4 pin regular trailer connector.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Nice build and love the photos, keep 'em coming!

Hate to rain on your parade but I think the square tubing brackets holding up the rods for your awning are eventually going to crack/break off with all the torque it will get during bumpy rides. Might want to keep an eye on them for early signs of cracking and put some thought on how to prevent this or change the design.

Overland

Observer
Nice build and love the photos, keep 'em coming!

Hate to rain on your parade but I think the square tubing brackets holding up the rods for your awning are eventually going to crack/break off with all the torque it will get during bumpy rides. Might want to keep an eye on them for early signs of cracking and put some thought on how to prevent this or change the design.

any constructive critisism is appreciated. i actually dont like this setup as it is kind of difficult to do alone and i am currently trying to work out another way to mount/raise/lower the awning.

ideas???????

apsilon

Observer
any constructive critisism is appreciated. i actually dont like this setup as it is kind of difficult to do alone and i am currently trying to work out another way to mount/raise/lower the awning.

ideas???????

Is it difficult because each end needs to be raised? I'm considering something similar on the design I'm playing with but have put a cross bar between the uprights to tie them together in additon to the top mount holding the awning. You can then use this bar from a central point to raise the awning. Of course I haven't figured out how to get the pins into place alone while holding it up but one problem at a time LOL. One thing I'm thinking of but haven't look into yet is to reduce the end of the section holding the poles (don't want to close it completely as it'd be a spot for water to lay) and use springs in them to act as lifters. The springs would be compressed when the awning was lowered and so would need to be pinned in the open and closed positions but I think it'd work and be low cost.

toyrover

Observer
i wish it had been that easy....but it actually wasnt too hard. i opened up the light bodies, there are circuit bords in there for the night time military running lights....throw them away. now the 24volt bulbs, hang onto them so you can take them to the parts store and match the twist lock pins on them for the same but on 12volt bulbs. comming out the back on my light bodies there are 4 wires, i just used 2. the light body is the ground, so just test the wires for which one goes to the centre pin on each of the bulb mounts. these are the only 2 you need, one for brake/signal, one for running lights. the other 2 that were the night time military stuff i just cut off. go get your 12 volt bulbs that fit, hook up the 2 wires that you need and voila...12 volt trailer lights. i am not at home or i would get some pics for ya. hope this help anyway.

oh yeah i removed the whole wiring harness from the trailer and ran all new wires and did the connections right at the back of the light bodies just so everything was new and i could then use a 4 pin regular trailer connector.
Thanks for the help on this,

jesusgatos

Explorer

ideas???????
Nice build. Maybe think about mounting the legs on hinges and then folding the awning down, from one side of the trailer to the other. Seems like that might be an effective way to store it and would also make it really easy to set-up.

Overland

Observer
Is it difficult because each end needs to be raised? I'm considering something similar on the design I'm playing with but have put a cross bar between the uprights to tie them together in additon to the top mount holding the awning. You can then use this bar from a central point to raise the awning. Of course I haven't figured out how to get the pins into place alone while holding it up but one problem at a time LOL. One thing I'm thinking of but haven't look into yet is to reduce the end of the section holding the poles (don't want to close it completely as it'd be a spot for water to lay) and use springs in them to act as lifters. The springs would be compressed when the awning was lowered and so would need to be pinned in the open and closed positions but I think it'd work and be low cost.

yes, because each end needs to be raised at the same time and then the locking bolts pushed through...my arms arent long enough believe me i tried. also you have to hold it up while you remove the locking pins that hold it in the down position....hmmm dillema. maybe some spring loaded locking pins, maybe the hinge thing, i had though of that before but this was so easy at the time. let that be a lesson to me i guess. "easy now is not always easy later". when i was building it i always had a buddy there helping. setting up in the bush i might be alone. if i work something out i'll let you all know and please keep the ideas comming.

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Awning positioning

Might check other threads on this portion of the forum as I am sure AT Trailers (check out their site for photos, also awning manufacturer sites might help as well) have a good way of doing this and you wouldn't be the first to run into this problem.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
wow guys, i figured i would get a few nice comments but you have surpased that. i wanted to let you all know that all of your words are very appreciated.

i also wanted to pass on my thanks and appreciation to my friend who is really responsible for the amazing looks of the trailer "Gary" is the guy doing all the design and fab and is really the brains and brawn behind the build. i only found the trailer and had the basic plan, he put it all into action.
Nice looking trailer! I like Jesse's idea of hinging the awning mount so that it can lay across the trailer. Only issue would be which side the awning is on vs. which side of the lid opens. OTOH, that awning mounts could also function as the lid's latching system.

Does this Gary happen to own one of the trickest "Early Broncos" around? If it is he, then you know why I put Early Bronco in quotes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior