DIY Autohome Columbus Tent Shelf

kb7our

Explorer
The hinged end of the Columbus provides an excellent space for a small shelf to hold "stuff" while you are using the tent without getting in your way whatsoever (unless you sleep with your feet towards the door and head towards the hinged end). Using a light weight awning rafter pole and a 36" x 11" piece of light weight plywood plus a few pieces of hardware one can construct a simple yet functional shelf. It weighs no more than a few lbs yet can hold several items you want to keep handy while settling in for the night. Very quick setup and will store inside the tent when folded. Pics should provide sufficient details. I'm sure there are better methods but this is just a first attempt. The concept should work on all Columbus tents (pics show a medium). The structure is sturdy enough to hold a laptop or DVD player and could be angled towards the viewer if desired as there is a small strip of quarter round along the leading edge as a stop.

Wade

Attachments

• Columbus Shelf 4.jpg
    Columbus Shelf 4.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 845
  • Columbus Shelf 1.jpg
    Columbus Shelf 1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 632
  • Columbus Shelf 2.jpg
    Columbus Shelf 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 522
  • Columbus Shelf 3.jpg
    Columbus Shelf 3.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 497
Last edited:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
That's perfect for shoes as well...

The only inconvenience I experienced using the Columbus, was what to do with my shoes, so they would be easy to retrieve in the morning. I wish the gear net had a few more pegs at the bottom too, to increase it's usefulness for storing small items.

Smart mod with that shelf - :beer:

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
Excellent use of space! A lot of AutoHome owners do mods to suit their particular needs... yours is one of the best I have seen.

Mike

kb7our

Explorer
Autohome Columbus Shelf Evolution

Here are a few pics of a different design for the tent shelf using 2 48" strips of aluminum angle for the mount platform (1 cut to 47") instead of the round awning rafter pole and the new shelf size a maximum width of 47". Still quite light weight but does not break down quite as far as the previous version since the shelf is permanently attached to the mount assembly. Removal and attachment inside the tent takes seconds w/no parts to add/remove in the process. This one is 9" deep which was decided on based on weight factor plus the deepest item I would likely place on the shelf - a laptop. If you have a small or med Columbus Variant or Carbon go make one for fun and by all means improve on the design.

Wade

Attachments

• Columbus Shelf a4.jpg
    Columbus Shelf a4.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 211
  • Columbus Shelf a1.jpg
    Columbus Shelf a1.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Columbus Shelf a2.jpg
    Columbus Shelf a2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 328
  • Columbus Shelf a8.jpg
    Columbus Shelf a8.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 200
  • Columbus Shelf a6.jpg
    Columbus Shelf a6.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Columbus Shelf a7.jpg
    Columbus Shelf a7.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

kb7our

Explorer
Design further simplified and refined

Latest tweaks for the shelf:

Thinner plywood = lighter weight.

Aluminum angle no longer extends past end of shelf.

Pin latches penetrate tent struts to stabilize shelf.

All parts easily obtainable from HD or similar.

Simple instruction manual (Word Doc) with pics if interested.

Wade

Attachments

• side detail 1.jpg
    side detail 1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 212
  • latch detail 1.jpg
    latch detail 1.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 188
  • full view.jpg
    full view.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Simple instruction manual (Word Doc) with pics if interested.

Wade

Wade...I would love to have those instructions. Having two kids inside means shoes, binkies, and the whole Transformers crew...

Snagger

Explorer
I wouldn't use a shelf above the occupants for any hot liquids - the possibility for scalds if a hot beverage or meal is knocked of the shelf is too high. Maybe a cradle or hanger for lidded beverage mugs would be safer?

kb7our

Explorer
I wouldn't use a shelf above the occupants for any hot liquids...

I would and do :coffeedrink: since the shelf is plenty sturdy, cups have lids, and feet face the shelf end. Non issue really. Probably safer than driving a car. Do you have one of these tents?

Wade

Snagger

Explorer
No, I don't, though I had a close look at a couple used by other members of a trip I did. They have their pros and cons, like all things, the biggest negatives being the lack of remaining space on the rack and the poor construction of the carbon-fibre shells - the corners all fouled themselves and had to be modified on both tents for them to open and close properly, with the metal edge strips having to be left off after the alterations. Not good for a £1500 tent. They were early examples of the carbon fibre model, so hopefully the molds have long-since been rectified. On the flip side, they looked very comfortable and were amazingly quick to put up and stow, and save any worries about boggy or stony ground.

None of that invalidates my concern that a vessel of hot liquid sitting on a shelf above the tent occupant (in any kind of tent) is a daft and pointless risk of a very nasty injury. For cold drinks, torches, books and other applications, it looks like a very neat and useful addition to the tent which the manufacturers may well end up copying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94