Transmission-powered Expedition Trailer

FotoValpen

Adventurer
Hello and greeting from Sweden!

This is my vehicle:
valp_sidan.jpg

A 1969 Volvo PLTGBIL903B (aka Laplander or Valp) She is a former Swedish military terrain vehicle which seats 8.

I am currently in the process of a full renovation, where she in the end will be a half-matte, graphite grey, super expedition vehicle!

My question for here is if anyone with a former military vehicle has PTO connections in the rear bumper? I have gotten a hold of an axled trailer that is built to be connected to my truck in this way!:wings: This will almost give me a 6x6. Has anyone done something similar?

I really like Adventures Trailer's trailers and plan to use some of their accessories in the building of my "driven" expedition trailer.

More pics coming tomorrow.

Last edited:

fatrat

SE Expedition Society
I have never heard or seen anything of the likes! Sounds interesting and I can't wait to see some pics.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I recall reading about this exact thing on an Australian off road site (now defunct? something like "sofcom.com") about 10 years ago. It was a vehicle feature of some ex-military truck. The trailer coupler had a PTO coupling through the middle of it giving the trailer tires motive power. Unfortunately that is about all that I recall of the article.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Looks like a copy of a Pinzauger

Mark

Volvo has been producing military vehicles for years.

The common factors between the Volvo and the Pinzgauer is they are both capable vehicles, and look like boxes on wheels.

WFTW

Adventurer
Very cool vehicle...wish I had one! Welcome to the forum...looking forward to seeing your tow rig and trailer take shape. :D

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Laplander! I have driven one of those extensively here in the states, it was a 6 cyl 1966 if I remember correctly. What great little vehicles...

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I had to fish through the old photos a take a pic of this pic. What a great car. I drove one for several weeks here and there when my land cruiser was down. It boogied nicely and really was comfort. Here is my (future) wife (at the time) behind the wheel...

Attachments

• SM_Picture 001.jpg
    SM_Picture 001.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 617

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Cool truck. If the 6X idea doesn't work, use the pto to mow lawns for petrol money...

I think I've seen one of those too. Now, where was that? Let me think... ...the paint was different...

Mystery%20Machine3.jpg

FotoValpen

Adventurer
I was out at my friends house today whom has the PTO trailer I am looking at buying and rebuilding. It was really quite interesting!

For starters the frame and axel it is built on is the same as my truck, the Laplander. So the trailer's rear axel and it's gear ratios are the same as the trucks. The brakes work on a kind of hydraulics which get their power from a converter from the trucks braking system. I am guessing that the trailer is a 3/4 ton. Too heavy to even consider maybe?!:Wow1:

Here you see two red attachment blocks which connect to the trailer. In between them is a pin like thing sticking out. this is the covered PTO shaft.
1.jpg

Here Mårten is unscrewing the cap to expose the PTO shaft.
2.jpg

The exposed shaft.
3.jpg

Here you see the trailer's driveshaft in the middle which slides onto the PTO driveshaft that exists the rear bumper. The two attachments on either side connect then to the two red attachment blocks on the bumper.
12.jpg

The two side arms as we see here swing in the direction of the vehicles turn. The both swing and tilt fully as not to hinder the trucks turning radius.
5.jpg

8.jpg

The yellow part is the for attaching the axel from the power outlet from the transmission (is it called this?) to the rear PTO.
4.jpg

Underside of the PTO trailer.
7.jpg

sseaman

Adventurer
very interesting, it is amazing what the military will pay to have something designed, that they may not need

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
Very cool and interesting indeed! What are your uses for the trailer? It is a very nice feature but may be unnecessary. I believe the rear PTO was for farm equipment, correct?

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
From the looks of that yellow PTO output flange, its likely 1:1 with the output of the tranny, which might work if your hi-range is 1:1 in the T-case, but it won't work with a reduction at the T-case. I'm basing my experience off of a Land Cruiser PTO setup in which the take-off can be 1:1 with the output of the trans (in a near identical configuration). It would not work for a trailer drive unless the trailer had some sort of a t-case that could also be dropped into a low range to match that of the vehicles. The trailer in your pics seems to have just that?

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
In looking at the trailer pics it would appear that it employs a Dana type axle. I'm guessing a 44 series from the looks of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior