Thoughts on water storage

ecameron97

I was looking around for a way to store water on my trailer when I came across this:

FTC-BWC-2.jpg

Description reads:
Bench Water Caddy- 25 gallon

Multi purpose water caddy is an ideal space saver solution for easy trailering.
This unique design is great for goose neck trailers as well as other horse and RV trailers when in need of hauling water.
Each tank has a fill-plug with a vent for easy filling.
• Lid is strong enough for use as a step to get to your overhead storage in goose neck trailers.
• Molded-in beverage holders on top.
• Storage area can be utilized for miscellaneous items.

Features
*35" L x 15" W x 15" H
*Lid Color Available in Blue, Gray, Red, Green
*25 gallon capacity
*3 Year Warranty

Is 25 gallons going to be too much to put on the tongue of my offroad trailer? Would there be a big problem with it not having baffling inside to keep water from sloshing around too much? I am also concerned about it sun rotting. I can fix that by building a box around it. The storage compartment looks useless. The lid doesn't even have a latch. I will also need to find a way to tie it down.

I don't care too much for the cup holders, but the price is nice at $100-130.

Let me know what you all think!

Robert Bills

Explorer
Is 25 gallons going to be too much to put on the tongue of my offroad trailer?

In my opinion, yes. Water weighs 8.35 lbs/gal. 25 gallons will weigh almost 209 lbs. That is a lot of weight to put on the tongue of an offroad trailer. Your trailer will be extremely front heavy (tongue weight should be approx. 10-15% of trailer weight to handle properly, which translates to about 60% of the load in front of the axle and 40% behind on 1/4 ton miltary trailers). How are you going to lift the hitch onto the coupler on your tow rig?

What kind of trailer do you have? For my Bantam, I used a 14 gal. tank mounted directly over the trailer axle so that the water doesn't affect front to rear trailer balance. If have found 14 gals. to be more than sufficient, as I have a 3-can rack on my Jeep and can either carry 10 extra gal of water and 5 gal fuel, or vice versa, as the needs of a particular trip dictate.

Last edited:

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I think you'd do better with a pair of smaller flatter ones mounted low amidships... ...call Martyn.

I have a pair of 19 gallon tanks mounted longitudinally under the box; plenty enough water to take long hot showers, etc.
I like that gizmo you found; just not for an adventure type trailer and certainly not on the tongue.

ecameron97

Thanks for the replies. My trailer buildup is shown here.

Robert, does your tank sit flat between the framerails? I thought about that, but I didn't think there would be room. Also, I wondered about how well it would drain.

Martyn, I saw that 19gallon tank that is available on your website. I like it a lot, I just don't know if I have the funds for it. I see that you are now offering different size tanks. I have had thoughts of putting a spare tire in the same spot where you put the water tank on your trailers, then on each side of the tire put an 8 gallon tank that sits tall and is around 13" wide (or same width as a 35" tire)

What is everyones thoughts on spare tires on the trailer? My trailer tires use the same size and lug pattern as my vehicle. Can I get by with one spare and a plug kit for 6 tires?

Last edited:

Robert Bills

Explorer
Robert, does your tank sit flat between the framerails? I thought about that, but I didn't think there would be room. Also, I wondered about how well it would drain.
?

My tank is currently inside the trailer tub, directly over the axle. Photos can be found in the link below my signature.

The primary reason the tank is inside the trailer and not tucked underneath between the frame rails is that Ronco Plastics (Tustin CA) had a "blemished" but otherwise perfect 14 gal. tank they offered to sell me for $20. Being a longtime jeeper, and used to scrounging parts and making what I already have work, I took the tank although it was too "deep" to fit underneath the trailer tub and still clear the axle. By mounting it inside (i.e., above the spigot), I could use a simple gravity feed system and not have to deal with a 12v pump. (Sure, I could have purchased another tank that would fit under the trailer tub, but it would have been smaller, cost 4-5x as much, and probably require a pump to drain it completely. I used the money I saved for other things.)

From the photos of your trailer, it appears that you could easily mount a tank under your trailer tub. Ronco Plastics has a number of tanks that might work, some as little as 5" deep. You might even think about using two smaller tanks (would give you more mounting options and you could use a valve isolating the tanks to keep from draining tank #2 before you want to - kids and wives never seem to listen to a dad's speeches about conserving enough water to last the entire trip.) http://www.ronco-plastics.net/

Binder Lou

Observer
I looked at a number of prefab water tanks and couldn't find one that fit cleanly. I talked to an RV supply shop and he refered me to a guy that made custom tanks. I measured out what I needed and had one built exactly as I wanted. The 2" bung on top is for filling, I've since put a radiator petcock in the cap so I can break vacuum when I'm using it. There is also a plug on the bottom near the spigot so I can drain the tank. The whole thing is held to the side of the trailer with four straps around two lengths of angle, I can remove it in a few minutes. It measures out to about 14 gallons. I've hauled it all over Nevada an Utah and it's been airborne a few times, never had a leak. I can't remember what I paid but it was certainly no more than many of the prefabs I looked at.

Attachments

• AnnaBD&DDRAT 016.jpg
    AnnaBD&DDRAT 016.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 91

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thanks for the replies. My trailer buildup is shown here.

Martyn, I saw that 19gallon tank that is available on your website. I like it a lot, I just don't know if I have the funds for it. I see that you are now offering different size tanks. I have had thoughts of putting a spare tire in the same spot where you put the water tank on your trailers, then on each side of the tire put an 8 gallon tank that sits tall and is around 13" wide (or same width as a 35" tire)

What is everyones thoughts on spare tires on the trailer? My trailer tires use the same size and lug pattern as my vehicle. Can I get by with one spare and a plug kit for 6 tires?

We have put spare tires on the tongue where the water tank goes. Their just isn't room for everything up there.

I'd say with a compressor and a good repair kit a trailer doesn't need a dedicated spare. See http://www.adventuretrailers.com/tirerepair.html

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Factory standard on the Conqueror I'm afraid. Martyn might know if they're proprietary or something off the shelf from South Africa.

In SA they are offered as options on Off-Road trailers. Looks like the export models had them as stock.

The expense and weight of the extra tire, rim and swing away isn't worth it IMO.

Plug Kits and compressors have addresses 95% of all punctures and tire tools, and good repair kits have resolved 4%. Having and inter-changeable spare is more than adequate.

The 1% outstanding problems are usually due to a wrong sized spare, or rim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles