Ham License Books

skephart

Observer
I want to get my ham license and would like a recommendation on the best book to study. These are two books I have had on my amazon.com wish list for some time 1)Gordon West, Technician Class: 2006-10 FCC Element 2 Amateur Radio License Preparation and 2) ARRL Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need to Become an Amateur Radio Operator by American Radio Relay League.

Also, does anyone know of a test location in southern California. I live in Camarillo.

Luke

Observer
Skephart: Try this website for practice tests. Should be enough to get you headed in the right direction as far as studying goes. http://aa9pw.com/radio/

Not to hijack but I have an ARRL Extra class license book and would like to trade for the General class book.

I want to get my ham license and would like a recommendation on the best book to study. These are two books I have had on my amazon.com wish list for some time 1)Gordon West, Technician Class: 2006-10 FCC Element 2 Amateur Radio License Preparation and 2) ARRL Ham Radio License Manual: All You Need to Become an Amateur Radio Operator by American Radio Relay League.

Also, does anyone know of a test location in southern California. I live in Camarillo.

I'd go with the ARRL book- worked well for me. Also, I'd recommend taking several practice tests before your exam- you can do that at QRZ.com as well as several other sites. For info on exam dates & locations, go to the ARRL website.

Good luck.

02TahoeMD

Explorer
Personally I am not too big a fan of sitting in front of the computer any longer than I have to, so I got the Gordon West Technician Class book from Amazon. I read through it twice and took the test about 2 weeks after my second reading, and passed the test, no problem.

Just my $.02....

silentsamurai

Explorer
Gordon West Technician Class book

This book was recommended to me by at least 20 operators. It's that good. Comes with a CD as well. But it really is an easy to understand book.

oh. and hamradio(dot)com is your best friend. Those guys know their stuff

4693lrg.jpg

Last edited:

skephart

Observer
Thanks everybody. I found a site in Ventura, CA that offers the test in April. Now I just need to study. I know it covers regulations but how much theory does it cover.

skephart

Observer
Well thanks to everyone. I used the Gordon West book and passed the technician test this morning. Now I just need to figure out what radio to get for my truck.

silentsamurai

Explorer
good job! I am reading the GW book as well and will prob. take my test on the 25th this month. So i've got some time to study. Was it as hard as you thought?

ChadHahn

Adventurer
When I took the test I just did one of the online practice tests over and over. It uses the same question pool as the actual test and if you take the online practice test enough times you will get familiar wit all the questions.

I got pretty close to 100% when I took the test. Now I just need to do the same thing to get my General license.

Chad

skephart

Observer
This is the site I used for practice tests. http://www.eham.net/exams/
I read the book and then took the practice test. A week before, I keep going over the questions in the book and the several practice tests each day. I over studied and got 100%.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles