What to do with a dead Optima red top

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
My Optima red top has finally died. I've used and abused it for 5 years, and I'm wondering what to do with it now. Should I pursue the 1 year pro rate? My buddy bought a refurbed red top, can this battery be refurbed? I'm buying a new one, but if a refurb is a possiblity, than that would make a good second battery choice. Thank you in advance.

CharlieV

Adventurer
My red top is getting read its last rights as I type. It failed a load test when I had the jeep tuned up. Is it worth getting another? It seems like there is only $50 or so difference between a standard maintenance free 34 series and a red top 34 series, so I just figured stick with the red top. Thoughts?

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Personally, I have had my fill with dead Optima's. I would recommend looking at a Sear's Platium series as these are built by Odyssey and based on the thread regarding them, they seem to be working great. I bought one for my Jeep and moved my yellow top into our trailer.

98dango

Expedition Leader
I have 6 junk red tops and 1 10 year old red top that still works. The way optmia is going i opted for walmart ever start last time. If im gonna have a battery go to junk in a year I might as well only be out 40 bux.

as for what to do with them thay make great cores. I save mine up track down the interstate guy he gives me 15 bux a batt including red tops. Im needing to find him agin

ryanhewitt

Adventurer
Wow!

I didn't realize that this thread was going to rekindle the beat on Optima posts. Maybe I just made a huge mistake buying a red top again, but I got five years out of my last one treating it like a deep cycle, and generally abusing it. As I stated originally, I thought I would inquire about the refurb process. Don't take this the wrong way from the tone (I hope there isn't one) of this post, but I was expecting some different answers. Anyway I'll pursue it a little more, and if I find anything out I'll pass it along.

1speed

Explorer
I have Optima Red Tops in all four vehicles I own and a Yellow top in my trailer. I have had two Red Tops in my 01 Dodge Ram diesel for almost seven years. In Florida that is almost unheard of. I will keep running them until I have problems.
As far as disposal goes, we have drop off hazardous waste depots here in FL. Check with your county.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne