high-lift servicing

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Hey guys, I did a search but couldn't find anything on it, but my high-lift is needing some loving. Is there a comprehensive writeup somewhere on maintenance or service that you can point me in the direction of? Just looking for any tips that might be of use. Thanks in advance!

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
You can buy a rubuild kit for $10 that contains pins and springs.
Take the entire thing apart, clean it, rebuild it with the kit and the included oil packet and put it back together. Easy Peasy, and good as new!;)

Sanding and repainting is also an option depending on condition.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Thanks. I've got quite a bit of rust now on it and was wondering weather sand blasting it and repainting it is the way to go, or just hand sand and touch it up as need be. I've seen the kits advertised, I guess I'll probaby just pick one up and see how it all goes.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
if it is bad pitted rust, I would sand blast it. My old one just had chipping piant and some surface rust in spots so I used sand paper and a steel brush wheel on a drill, to clean it up. then spraypainted.

When repainting be careful not to let the coats build up too thick.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
mcvickoffroad said:
if it is bad pitted rust, I would sand blast it. My old one just had chipping piant and some surface rust in spots so I used sand paper and a steel brush wheel on a drill, to clean it up. then spraypainted.

When repainting be careful not to let the coats build up too thick.

It's not pitted, just peeling paint like yours sounded. That sounds good, I'd rather not have to sandblast it.

MaddBaggins

Explorer
The wire wheel on a drill sounds like a good idea. I need to rehab mine and repaint. I was thinking of going with some obnoxious color like Barney purple or bright lime green.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles