Rock Crawler ...

Rob O

Adventurer
:victory:

Loved LEGOs as a kid and, now that I've 9 y/o and 7 y/o boys, get to enjoy them again as an adult. ;-) This is a "rock crawler" (LEGO calls it a 'rally truck') that I've modified slightly; click it to see in my flickr stream for list of mods. I will modify it more heavily soon to make it less rock buggy and more 'expo' like.

Things I added/customized:

1. Recovery strap with hook on brush bar
2. Auxiliary off-road lights below brush bar
3. Auxiliary fog lights atop brush bar (in the real world 2 and 3 would technically be swapped (fogs should always be as low as possible, but aesthetically I liked it this way better))
4. Cowl covers inside the hood vents
5. Snorkel (which I had a ********** of a time fastening near the top, despite having literally thousands of spare parts, and ended up using a lego rubber band to secure it to the A-pillar)
6. Auxiliary off-road lights on roof
7. Communications
8. Whip antenna
9. Tools
10. Recovery point in rear

Mods to come (using bits from a variety of other kits): Upgraded rear suspension upgrade (either articulating, similar to front, or independent from another kit); extended chassis; spare tire; rear rack system (exoskeleton like); working LED headlights; proper winch.

Original LEGO kit here (for comparison with my tweaks)

Last edited:

expoxj

Adventurer
Oh man I love legos....I used to spend hours building crazy stuff...Once built a F14 with actual swing wings...

Makes you start to understand all the crazy 4 link and other suspension setups people have been making lately...Take a good look at some products from sema and tell me those guys didn't play with legos when they were a kid.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Wait, LEGO really has all the axle stuff and shocks to build this?

That thing is sweet! I want to build a replica of our truck just to superglue to the dashboard

jh504

Explorer
That is really cool. I played with legos all time, I also loved lincoln logs. Did anyone ever have those? My wife bought me a set last Christmas as a joke.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
That is so awesome. My son built a Disco II a while ago (when he was 8), but it doesn't have suspension.

DiscoII_Lego_01-800.jpg

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Thats awesome, Legos are cool, Just finished helping my son who is 4 and a half build ems city with a rescue helicopter and ambulance.:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne