Macho B

Fergie

Expedition Leader
Talk about a pisser, Macho B is dead.

From the articles I've read, it sounds as though the scientists discovered terminal kidney problems, and then the decision was made to euthanize the animal; can anyone corroborate this?

My condolences to all involved and invested in the entire Jaguar Project.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
What happened is that the Arizona Game and Fish Department screwed up massively.

They were running what they claim was a mountain lion and black bear study in the border area, using leg snares, to gather data on how the border fence has and will impact large predators. Perhaps. Nevertheless, they knew (and admitted) there was a decent chance of capturing a jaguar as well. They were ready for it, had the protocol in place.

A few months ago, after a significant absence, Macho B showed up again on Jack Childs' trail cameras. This animal was known to be at least 15 years old, an incredibly advanced age for a big cat. Yet AZGF left their snares in place, and sure enough one of them got Macho B. They sedated him and collared him, and took a blood sample, before releasing him. His condition deteriorated immediately after the capture, and his movements nearly ceased, which was why they followed up and recaptured him. He had lost weight and was obviously failing, thus the decision to euthanize him. So there is certainly ample reason to assume the capture contributed to his kidney failure. Thus this jaguar, which had roamed free in Arizona for at least 13 years, died on a veterinarian's table in Phoenix.

Roseann and I have been staunch supporters of AZGF in the past. Roseann was on the board of the Heritage Fund. But the agency blew it this time, in a manner that might prove historic. Given the border situation, who knows when, if ever, another jaguar might move north to take Macho B's place. If none does, AZGF will forever bear the responsibility of killing the last jaguar in the United States.

This hits us personally. We lived in Brown Canyon when Jack Childs first videotaped Macho B in 1996, and heard the jaguar calling one evening, an experience neither of us is likely to forget. We've helped Jack, Roseann has secured funding for him, and of course we published the story in Overland Journal. Now there's just a big blank hole.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Yep I was totally disgusted when I read this story a few weeks ago. Shame on AZGF, there was no reason to put a huge and heavy collar on this animal to track him and it obviously caused him undue stress. I'd like to tag the official who authorized this!

RIP Macho B

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Yep I was totally disgusted when I read this story a few weeks ago. Shame on AZGF, there was no reason to put a huge and heavy collar on this animal to track him and it obviously caused him undue stress. I'd like to tag the official who authorized this!

RIP Macho B

I don't believe it was the collar itself that caused the problems, it was the stress from the actual capture. You could consider the stress from the capture as a sunk cost (price that has already been paid...non-recoverable), so the best they could do at *that point* was to put the GPS collar on him and collect as much information as possible. A lesser tracking device would have given them less data at the same cost.

It is unfortunate that he was unable to live out his life, however long or short it may have been, without the hand of humans interfering further. It is also unfortunate, as Jonathan pointed out, that the border fence will likely prevent any other jaguars from taking Macho B's place in the desert S/W.

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
The death of Macho B was an unfortunate loss.

As stated above, the likelihood that a younger animal will utilize the territory now vacated by Macho Bs death is slim to none. We have the border issues to thank for that.

There was a press conference related to the capture, and euthanization of Macho B.

It is 42 minutes long but I feel it provides quite a bit of information.

Link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMv1pSUe_LE&feature=related

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I don't believe it was the collar itself that caused the problems, it was the stress from the actual capture. You could consider the stress from the capture as a sunk cost (price that has already been paid...non-recoverable), so the best they could do at *that point* was to put the GPS collar on him and collect as much information as possible. A lesser tracking device would have given them less data at the same cost.

It is unfortunate that he was unable to live out his life, however long or short it may have been, without the hand of humans interfering further. It is also unfortunate, as Jonathan pointed out, that the border fence will likely prevent any other jaguars from taking Macho B's place in the desert S/W.

You are right I'm sure it wasn't Just the collar...however I believe it probably helped contribute to his stress levels, along with the capture and the meds and stress is what the vet deemed caused his demise.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Good point. Under normal circumstances, collared animals quickly become used to the device. Macho B never had time to become accustomed to it, so it undoubtedly was an additional stress factor.

HB 4X4

Adventurer
They shouldn't have done it in the first place. They did it for their own selfish reasons, and a life was lost because of it. :mixed-smiley-030:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
This whole story is very sad, but the work was not for "selfish reasons" HB 4x4, it's science and sometimes things don't out the way they were planned, even with large megafauna.

Watch the video that SWDesertTaco provided, it gives all the background.

With the numbers of lawsuits mounting by groups like the CBD requiring the USFWS to write a recovery plan for the jaguar, there was a need to get basic life history information on the borderland cats. You cannot write a recovery plan if you don't know basic info about a species, like what sort of home range it has. There were trail cameras picking up the cat over the years, some 80 shots, but that doesn't come close to giving a real estimate of what the animal's home range is.

All sorts of species are marked with GPS technology to learn about their life histories everything from birds to sharks to elk and deer. How would we know that the sooty shearwater flies some 40,000 miles per year in migration movements if we didn't risk some of them with a GPS tracking device.

Wildlife Science comes with risk and all Federal agencies must have protocols in place for how research is to be done to mitigate that risk as much as they can. According to the chief of the USFWS in AZ, the AZGF followed their protocols.

I wish they hadn't collared the animal to begin with, but lawsuits by the far left groups like CBD pretty much required research to be done and a recovery plan to be written, even though it was only one animal. I do not see how a single animal can benefit from a recovery plan and spending hundreds of thousands of dollars writing that recovery plan, but hey, the CBD doesn't listen to most wildlife professionals, they do their own thing.

I am trying to look on the bright side of this tragedy. The cat was really old and its days were numbered already. It's very rare that people find big cats after they die of natual causes, which was coming soon, so we have a specimen now that can be used for genetic comparisons to the cats in MX.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I generally agree with Chuck 99.9 percent of the time, but in this particular case, I don't think the Center for Biological Diversity can be blamed. AZGF could have postponed the snare study when they were informed Macho B was back in the area, and the CBD wouldn't have dared to respond with a demand that they collar a 16-year-old jaguar.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I generally agree with Chuck 99.9 percent of the time, but in this particular case, I don't think the Center for Biological Diversity can be blamed. AZGF could have postponed the snare study when they were informed Macho B was back in the area, and the CBD wouldn't have dared to respond with a demand that they collar a 16-year-old jaguar.

99.9? Naw, maybe 85. :elkgrin:

Seriously though, I'm not saying that the CBD demaded a collar, they demanded a recovery plan and to write a recovery plan I'm saying it requires some baseline data, of which we had very little for borderland jaguars other than photo stations. I think jaguars on the edge of a range are going to have different habitat requirements than the main population in the breeding habitat in MX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier