Macho B

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
This subject really grinds my gears. Jonathan and Roseanne, what can someone like me do to help more with the conservation efforts of such a majestic animal? I know you guys are the conservation experts, and I applaud and admire your involvement and dedication.

Thanks so much! There are three fantastic really effective efforts working on "our" jaguar population in northern Mexico to make sure we keep them around. Sky Island Alliance's Mexico program (private land owner conservation, and scientific surveys); El Aribabi Conservation Ranch (one of the private efforts there); and the Northern Jaguar Project (established a private reserve, with breeding populations we think).

Are you coming to the Overland Expo? Most of these folks will be there, and we're going to be doing some action-raising (and fund-raising) for them.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
But that's speculation. Fact is the biologist did something stupid, he knew it, and he admitted it.

Agreed, the biologist messed up by following orders from Emil McCain who was the supervisor on the project. Emil McCain should never be allowed to work with T&E species or big cats again and I hope he is charged criminally under the ESA.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Agreed, the biologist messed up by following orders from Emil McCain who was the supervisor on the project. Emil McCain should never be allowed to work with T&E species or big cats again and I hope he is charged criminally under the ESA.

I agree about McCain, Chuck, and said so from the beginning. However, a G&F employee who knew about the situation and covered it up shares a heavy part of the blame. He's admitted to doing so. Just because I suspect others at G&F might have known about it too doesn't mean I'm condemning the entire organization. I just don't want one employee taking the entire rap if others knew about it as well. It's SOP with government agencies.

The entire "bear and mountain lion study" story still rings hollow to me. They knew there was an old jaguar in the area. Such a study should never have been implemented until they knew he was gone.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
The whole story is incredibly sad, and must be really frustrating for those of you with past/current involvement with that org.

I feel really bad for such a great old cat. It really pulls at the heart strings.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
That is sad, but not surprising. The courts around the country routinely do this. They make a mockery of the wildlife laws and the folks who believe in the laws and enforce them by letting criminals off the hook. It's bull****.

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
The only fitting punishment would be to wait til McCain's 80, then attach him to a tree by a leg snare for 24-48 hours with no food/water, dart him, collar him, and let him go in the Cabeza Prieta in June.

Even more bull: the woman who blew the whistle may face federal criminal charges as well. She's not a state or federal employee - she was a volunteer - and so she is not protected at all nor does she have the backing of such organizations as Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility.

Even more bull: the woman who blew the whistle may face federal criminal charges as well. She's not a state or federal employee - she was a volunteer - and so she is not protected at all nor does she have the backing of such organizations as Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility.

I guess no good deed goes unpunished huh?

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
The only fitting punishment would be to wait til McCain's 80, then attach him to a tree by a leg snare for 24-48 hours with no food/water, dart him, collar him, and let him go in the Cabeza Prieta in June.

This was an unfortunate event, ruining the careers of two biologists (Thory & Janay) and likely only tarnishing the career of a 'biologist' with questionable ethics.

Nonetheless, we don't reward whistleblowers and she is as guilty as Emil....This wasn't the military where she is required to follow orders. If she had a real backbone, she would've told the state and Feds about the scat two weeks before the cat was captured, and macho b would still be roaming the hills! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne