aluminum Engell rack?

mwigant

Observer
Does anyone have experience with something like this? Would it be strong enough? My fridge is going to be 14 inches off the floor so the rack needs to be strong, but an all steel one would be pretty heavy. What do you think of me doing the fab work and taking it to a welding shop for assembly?

Superu

Explorer
Posting a pic or link to the rack you are asking about will probably get you more responses. :ylsmoke:

Squall Line

Observer
You can see what I built in the early part of this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19929

I am going to be re doing it some time in the future . It is alright as far as strength goes, but I would like something stiffer, and plan on adding more storage underneath. I would suggest building out of square/ rectangle stock rather than angle like I did (at least for the frame). Mine sags on the really heavy side. It was not the best design either, but I threw it together using all stock bolt holes... HTH

mwigant

Observer
no pics- I'm on really slow dial up at home and don't want to post from work. I've taken out the small back seat of my JK to mount the fridge and I want to use the stock seat mounting holes. This will put the fridge 14 inches above the mounts which will generate a lot of stress. I was just looking at that soft, light aluminum and wondering if it could take it. I'll check out the square stock. Squall Line, did you weld that yourself? Will a regular welding machine do that? I can borrow one (and it's owner) but I doubt he's done anything with aluminum.

Squall Line

Observer
I did the welding/ fabrication on that. The welds are not that pretty or consistent, but they are sound. A welder needs to have AC output to do aluminum. I know some of the higher end mig units can do it, but a spool gun is (usually?) necessary due to the softness of the aluminum wire. I have a small 185 amp tig welder that I use. If the fabricator has not welded much aluminum before, it may be better to go with steel. AL can be a royal pain until you get the heat control and weld prep down pat.

Eric

mwigant

Observer
Thank for the info. Between having to go to a shop ($$) and my concerns about strength, I think I will just go with a steel rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior