Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: HAM radio/amateur radio FAQ

Default Thanks

Thanks for the links Mashurst!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanhewitt View Post
    I'm thinking about taking my Tech exam and was wanting to see some of questions, but the link in the first post states "Fobidden"? Is there another site/link for practice exams? Thank you.
    I've been using the eham exams in studying for my General, they have tech, general and expert test exams, all with the latest test pool:
    http://www.eham.net/exams/
    Kurt Williams
    Cruiser Outfitters
    Your original outfitter for OME - ARB - AA - Safari - Helton - Engel - Since 1992
    Join us on Facebook
    ExpeditionUtah - A lifelong project of exploring Utah
    kurt@cruiseroutfitters.com

Passed my Technician test this weekend. Thanks to the OP for the boost in motivation and to everyone for the knowledge and guidance! Now, to go buy a mobile rig...
    John (brussum), KL3JC
    Shelby Township, MI

2008 Toyota Land Cruiser, BajaRack, IBS dual battery system, Yaesu FT-8900
    2006 BMW R1200GS

IRLP node 7036...currently offline

Quote Originally Posted by brussum View Post
    Passed my Technician test this weekend. Thanks to the OP for the boost in motivation and to everyone for the knowledge and guidance! Now, to go buy a mobile rig...
    Congratulations on your ticket, and have fun shopping! Beware that spending money on radios and antennas is fun and addictive.
    '80 FJ40, '86 FJ60, '07 FJC
    N5MUD Parker County ARES/RACES
    4x4ham.com
    TLCA # 16550

Default Thanks

Thanks for the additional link cruiseroutfit.

just passed my tech this last weekend, thanks for posting this up!

I'm still very confused on what rig to get. i was considering the yaesu ft2900 but am concerned about heating issues and where to install the thing. i would love a detachable face but those set ups seem to run well into $500 and more and being that i plan to just use ham offroad when I'm wheeling i can't really justify it much to myself. any suggestions?
    4th Gen 4Runner T-Shirts - Buy Here: http://www.toyota120.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18085

Detachable face is more compact and replaceable if someone breaks into the vehicle. Usually a remote chance they would go to work of removing everything.
    Space is a consideration so mounting so its out of the way and easily accessible with out taking eyes from the road.
    Here the sun bakes the led screens so take that into consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJosh View Post
    just passed my tech this last weekend, thanks for posting this up!

I'm still very confused on what rig to get. i was considering the yaesu ft2900 but am concerned about heating issues and where to install the thing. i would love a detachable face but those set ups seem to run well into $500 and more and being that i plan to just use ham offroad when I'm wheeling i can't really justify it much to myself. any suggestions?
    A Yaesu FT7900 will set you back around $300... more than the 2900 but a fair bit less than $500. Nice radio.
    Maybe a lightly used FT7800 (previous generation) could be a contender?
    norm
    Coastal Cruisers
    '89 BJ74, '92 M101cdn

Is there an easy way to set up a home 2m/70cm base station? I have a Yaesu VX-6R and want to be able to join net IRLP discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by cactusjk View Post
    Is there an easy way to set up a home 2m/70cm base station? I have a Yaesu VX-6R and want to be able to join net IRLP discussions.
    Setting up a base station is easier (and can be cheaper) than a mobile, because you have much more flexibility with antennas. Your antenna can be anything from a home-made ladder-line J-pole, to a beam on a big tower, or anything in between. Obviously, the higher you can get it the better - but it's not hard at home to get higher than a 4WD truck, and thus have better performance than your mobile rig.

As a moderate (and moderately cheap) example, I have a home-made copper tubing J-pole antenna (that cost me only a few parts from Lowe's plumbing dept.), mounted on a mast made from galvanized chain-link-fence posts about 20' high. I just use one of my older mobile radios for the 2M base station, and the performance is fairly amazing in terms of distance.
    Last edited by 1911; 11-06-2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    '80 FJ40, '86 FJ60, '07 FJC
    N5MUD Parker County ARES/RACES
    4x4ham.com
    TLCA # 16550

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast