Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: HAM radio/amateur radio FAQ

Will do, and I will drop by 4x4ham.com as well

I did pass my Tech exam, and now I am known as KC9VMD
    Last edited by Pathfinder; 02-27-2012 at 10:28 PM.

I just passed my technician class. I'm taking General and Extra next week (a degree in EE helps a lot! - but I gotta learn the section 97 stuffs).

Thanks for posting this, it's been very helpful. Now, you need to post a FAQ on how to get the spousal unit to agree to the extra expenditures....

Question to gauge usefulness in my situation

- Not interested in Ham as a hobby
    - Interested in 2m and 70 cm
    - No interest in advancing beyond Tech license
    - Travel will be with wife on mid level difficulty 4x4 touring roads in the western states, Canada, Yukon, Alaska, and Mexico/Central America
    - Don't anticipate traveling with groups on rugged Jeep trails and needing trail conditions ahead of us. More interested in over landing the areas above
    - Over landing will eventually take us to Europe / North Africa after we cut our teeth in North America/Central America
    - For N Africa / Sahara travel with others. Is 2m widely used in this application?

Why am I interested?

Communication with others in remote areas where cell coverage is non existent
    Will this only be achieved if there is a repeater network available?
    Usefulness in under developed part of countries that totally lack cell coverage

Will this be an aid for our travels?

Many thanks for replying!

Short answer is for US and Canada yes.
    There are very few areas so remote as to be out of range of some repeater network. That's not to say there aren't any but you will be adding a good deal of capability to a cell only setup. Adding 6m would help out here in the west too. having been licensed for only a few years I now feel quite vulnerable traveling without it. It has saved my bacon already once.
    That said, not being interested as a hobby is fine, but it's no cell phone. If you expect it to work for you when you need it you will need to put an ongoing effort to using it. If it's going to just sit in your truck off till the day you need it, I wouldn't think you would find it useful on the day a situation called for it. You need to be proficient in its use and you will need to do a little bit of research before and during the trip to maintain awareness of the surrounding repeaters.
    Also in Mexico and South America I think it is not a very workable solution. There are a number of thread on this subject so I wont go into it but for the most part it's not legal down there with a US license.
    The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes. - Marcel Proust

Good advise on keeping in practice on use of any ham radio, the band, and especially repeaters. If you don't know the CTCSS codes for access, for example, you can hear the repeater but it won't listen to you.

Be aware that any location that slightly resembles "remote" probably won't have a 2m or 70cm repeater you can hit, especially if that area is lower terrain. For your travel outside of populated areas, satellite phone, SPOT, or other sat based service may be your only option.

On your item: "- For N Africa / Sahara travel with others. Is 2m widely used in this application?", the answer is absolutely not...unless you mean to simply talk to each other. In that case it's not a USA license you will need.

For long distance emergency communications you could go all the way to General Class to gain access to High Freq bands, but people who "don't want ham radio as a hobby" will seldom achieve that.

Bob WB4ETT
    U-1300L Unimog with 10' Alaskan camper, OM-366A turbo-Diesel, fast axles, overdrive, Werner 12k winch

Various other mogs for work and play.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennmogger View Post
    Be aware that any location that slightly resembles "remote" probably won't have a 2m or 70cm repeater you can hit, especially if that area is lower terrain.
    Not sure the situation is as bad as implied above, but the advice to have a back up mode of comms is spot on. You also should check ahead of time to determine what repeaters are in your planned travel area that you might be able to use.

Southern UT is arguably the most remote location in the lower 48, and it's got pretty good repeater coverage. Here's a link to a coverage map of a linked set of repeaters operated by the Sinbad Desert Radio Club. You certainly can encounter local issues based on the geography, but I've been able to hit these repeaters from deep in the Maze in Canyonlands.

Appreciate the replies !

And to respond to one poster, I will become proficient in the use of my particular transceiver and availability of repeater networks in my travels. I meant to say this will not likely become ANOTHER hobby of mine that will manifest itself with a Ham Shack and 70 foot antenna arrays in my backyard.

Quote Originally Posted by bajarat View Post
    I meant to say this will not likely become ANOTHER hobby of mine that will manifest itself with a Ham Shack and 70 foot antenna arrays in my backyard.
    LOL, I thought the same thing when I started, only a 2M radio for the truck! What you may find is that it really is a fun hobby. You can get a lot of exposure to other folks/other countries/other cultures all over the world, all without leaving your shack or truck. Not a replacement for overland travel by any means, but it is pretty fun by itself.
    '80 FJ40, '86 FJ60, '07 FJC
    N5MUD Parker County ARES/RACES
    4x4ham.com
    TLCA # 16550

this thread will give me something to delve into and read when we're iced in tomorrow in north Texas...

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910