HAM radio/amateur radio FAQ

TheJosh

Explorer
just passed my tech this last weekend, thanks for posting this up!

I'm still very confused on what rig to get. i was considering the yaesu ft2900 but am concerned about heating issues and where to install the thing. i would love a detachable face but those set ups seem to run well into $500 and more and being that i plan to just use ham offroad when I'm wheeling i can't really justify it much to myself. any suggestions?

rambrush

Adventurer
Detachable face is more compact and replaceable if someone breaks into the vehicle. Usually a remote chance they would go to work of removing everything.
Space is a consideration so mounting so its out of the way and easily accessible with out taking eyes from the road.
Here the sun bakes the led screens so take that into consideration.

bj70_guy

Adventurer
just passed my tech this last weekend, thanks for posting this up!

I'm still very confused on what rig to get. i was considering the yaesu ft2900 but am concerned about heating issues and where to install the thing. i would love a detachable face but those set ups seem to run well into $500 and more and being that i plan to just use ham offroad when I'm wheeling i can't really justify it much to myself. any suggestions?

A Yaesu FT7900 will set you back around $300... more than the 2900 but a fair bit less than $500. Nice radio.
Maybe a lightly used FT7800 (previous generation) could be a contender?

cactusjk

Explorer
Is there an easy way to set up a home 2m/70cm base station? I have a Yaesu VX-6R and want to be able to join net IRLP discussions.

Expedition Leader
Is there an easy way to set up a home 2m/70cm base station? I have a Yaesu VX-6R and want to be able to join net IRLP discussions.

Setting up a base station is easier (and can be cheaper) than a mobile, because you have much more flexibility with antennas. Your antenna can be anything from a home-made ladder-line J-pole, to a beam on a big tower, or anything in between. Obviously, the higher you can get it the better - but it's not hard at home to get higher than a 4WD truck, and thus have better performance than your mobile rig.

As a moderate (and moderately cheap) example, I have a home-made copper tubing J-pole antenna (that cost me only a few parts from Lowe's plumbing dept.), mounted on a mast made from galvanized chain-link-fence posts about 20' high. I just use one of my older mobile radios for the 2M base station, and the performance is fairly amazing in terms of distance.

Last edited:

cactusjk

Explorer
That sounds encouraging! I will have to research antennas. I can easily put one on my roof.

Setting up a base station is easier (and can be cheaper) than a mobile, because you have much more flexibility with antennas. Your antenna can anything from a home-made ladder-line J-pole, to a beam on a big tower, or anything in between. Obviously, the higher you can get it the better - but it's not hard at home to get higher than a 4WD truck, and thus have better performance than your mobile rig.

As a moderate (and moderately cheap) example, I have a home-made copper tubing J-pole antenna (that cost me only a few parts from Lowe's plumbing dept.), mounted on a mast made from galvanized chain-link-fence posts about 20' high. I just use one of my older mobile radios for the 2M base station, and the performance is fairly amazing in terms of distance.

LMTD

Amatuer Radio has one MAIN problem

Thats right!

It seems a LOT of Amateur's think the way they do it is the only way it should be done and anyone else doing anything else is a lid.

Well here is how one general class use's his stuff. I have a Yaesu FT-2900 mounted on a custom bracket that sits centered above the steering wheel. I use that to communicate via repeaters with local hams each day. The topics range from the newest rigs out, antenna's, HOA issue workarounds, guns, cars, work, meetings, arranging to meet for lunch etc.

On the trails I use 2 meter on 5 watts simplex to effectively communicate trail conditions, assistance, day planning etc.

On arrival, I find a peak somewhere and a path up to it, set up a tripod I got a gun show that is for cammo netting with 1 1/4 fiberglass poles, put a 10 meter whip, #14 gauge wire, and some 550 cord on the top pole, start adding sections until I have it about 30 additional feet, connect the 817 and start the QRP fun!

Now I am sure there are plenty who would not find this entertaining or fun, but making a contact and talking about a relaxing weekend in the woods has fostered many a long distance friend. I have yet to communicate off this continent, but I have had one heck of a lot of fun doing it and I do not care if anyone thinks it is "the way" I should do ham radio or not, it is simply how I do it.

When I get my 857d perhaps using 100 watts instead of five may get me across the pond and I can ragchew with some other wheelers in Europe or whatever. One of these days I am going to be on that peak with a home brew handheld yagi and see if I can hook up to the satellites too.

If you find the way I do it within reason and would just like to chew the rag sometime, aim for mid-missouri or southern missouri and give it a shot :p

KD0JMH
Rich

mowerman

Adventurer
Can you provide more information about antenna set ups in Vehicles?
Are they specific in the setup dependant on what 2M radio you use, bearing in mind it would be for use during trail work?
Many thanks

Mashurst

Adventurer
Generally any mobile type antenna that is good for 2m and for the max power of the radio will work. If you have a duel band radio you would want a duel band antenna to go with it but if you have a 2m only you could still use a duel band antenna. As far as a recommendation goes, everyone has their favorites and there does not seem to be a "best antenna" or "best mounting location". Read around there are a lot of threads on the subject of antenna setup.

Expedition Leader
Can you provide more information about antenna set ups in Vehicles?
Are they specific in the setup dependant on what 2M radio you use, bearing in mind it would be for use during trail work?
Many thanks

Rob,

Mobile 2M antenna choice is dependent on where you can mount it and how much overhead clearance you have, but not dependent on the radio at all (since most every 2M mobile has a simple PL-259 connection for the antenna). If you can mount the antenna in the middle of your roof, you will have the widest choice since there is enough ground plane there to run a 5/8 or 1/4-wave antenna. A tall base-loaded or middle-loaded 5/8-wave antenna will give you excellent range but it won't fit in a covered car park, and may hit trees and etc. off-road. A small 1/4-wave rubber ducky or flexi-whip antenna works on a roof also but is much shorter and more forgiving of clearance. If you don't want to mount an antenna on your roof, then you could mount one on your front or rear bumper or even on a wing, but often times there is insufficient ground plane in those locations and you will need to use a 1/2-wave antenna. Do you have an idea of where you might want to mount it, and where you will be driving?

mowerman

Adventurer
thanks for that info, it would be mainly used on road/light trail- I have looked at shorter antennea to swap if necessary>
This is my Disco:-

TixoverABCSept2011iphone002res.jpg

In the front of the roof between the rack lights above the orange sticker you may just see a short roof mounted antenna from an old Nokia car phone kit. I thought about replacing that, or a rack mount if that would give a better gound plane (which after reading round on Expo today I figure it would not)
The rack does have an earth cable for the CB antenna anyway.
Been looking at something like an FT2900, but in the region of £200 here in UK plus antenna, so not as cheap as USA, because the demand for mobile 2M is less here at the moment I would think (Everyone off roads with CB here still)
Thanks again for the information

mr r2fj

Adventurer
Looks like some of the links may have been broken, I try to keep my eye on them from time to time. They should be fixed now. Particularly the real important ones like practice exams and where to take the test. Practice exams now require you to have a QRZ account, but the site is open to anyone with or without existing license. The practice exams are well worth it so don't let that turn you away from getting access to that wonderful resource.

Pathfinder

Adventurer
Based on suggestions from folks on this forum, I passed my Technician exam this weekend, and now look forward to adding 2M and 70cm bands to my rig.

Expedition Leader
Based on suggestions from folks on this forum, I passed my Technician exam this weekend, and now look forward to adding 2M and 70cm bands to my rig.

Congratulations on your ticket! Post up your call sign when you get it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles