The smell of a 40 series?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
What is it? The 2F, the unburnt noxious fumes emanating from the vents, or the cracking vinyl seats that gives a 40 series an undeniable smell?

Nonetheless it is the smell of adventure and one I'll never forget, especially now that I've been reminded. The 55 and 60 had a different smell to them, as does the 80 and 100, there's something odd about every LC40...

:safari-rig:

Sloan

Explorer
The funny thing is that even after replacing the seats and driving it topless for 10 years, it still has that smell.

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
I drove my 40 to work last Thursday, and when I got home and gave my wife a hug, she said "You smell like your truck."

I took it as a compliment.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
If it makes you feel any better, a 70 series kinda smells like a 60 series....

Run her on propane...smells like BBQ grilles....

-H-

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
What is it? The 2F, the unburnt noxious fumes emanating from the vents, or the cracking vinyl seats that gives a 40 series an undeniable smell?

Nonetheless it is the smell of adventure and one I'll never forget, especially now that I've been reminded. The 55 and 60 had a different smell to them, as does the 80 and 100, there's something odd about every LC40...

Hmmm. I think Hltoppr left you a present in the glove box, or maybe under the seat.

davegonz

Explorer

Rust?

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!

Not that one. It does have a bit of exhaust smell, as the tailpipe exits on the passenger side, in front of the rear tire...but that goes away when you run propane. Only things that aren't new are the front seats.

No presents hidden....

Anybody ever think Scott's just a sweaty Phoenix guy? :coffeedrink:

Now where did I leave that trout from the last fishing trip? :elkgrin:

Willman

I drove my 40 to work last Thursday, and when I got home and gave my wife a hug, she said "You smell like your truck."

I took it as a compliment.

I hope to be their someday.....

my old 69' Chevy gives out the same kind of love!

:elkgrin:

gillti

Adventurer
Oh the smell. . .

It's the 2f. that thing has an odor that is unmistakable. after awhile, if you can't smell it you know something is wrong.

fill it up, and the 2f mixed with the gas will give you a good bit of headchange. . .:ylsmoke:

BreckBJ44

Observer
I have to differ with the 2F theory. While it has a distinct smell (as does the driver :p ) I hada 1981 FJ40 and now have a 1981 BJ44. Same smell inside (ignoring the diesel). Oh, and I have aftermarket, if crappy, seats.

Either way, I love it.

Funny huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne