Being broke in by our 1997 HZJ80R Landcruiser

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
So after waiting for what seemed like an eternity, this pas weekend we were able to explore what Australia has properly with our new mode of transport. :elkgrin:

During the week we packed the camping gear up, prepared a rough menu, got the clothing sorted and poured over maps for the longest time. Funny thing is after waiting for so long and wanting to go, we had not yet settled on our first destination. Enter dilema number one: now that we have our own wheels the options in this part of Australia are near endless. Do we go bush or do we go beach? This means we had to make a decision about where we wanted to go. Enter dilema two: we had no means of re-inflating should we be in a situation where lower tire pressures were required. This weighed heavily on my mind untill Thursday when I though to my self: "What's the worse that could happen? If we need to deflate, we can. Just means we have to slow down untill we find an air source or offer someone with a proper compressor a cold one in exchange for some air." So we could have stayed at home and waited for another opportunity to go our and explore, exactly what we have been wanting to do since we've moved here, or go out and be cautious with our wanderings. So we threw caution to the wind and went out! :sombrero:

A word of caution, we don't advocate being unprepared!

Does this look like a happy 80 Series owner or what?
IMG_2178.jpg

Stay tuned...

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Heading North East for the weekend

So after much debate we decided that the beach was that the go. Due to fading daylight and not wanted to risk an encounter with a stray roo, we opted for a campsite that was close to Brisbane city. Once again we found ourselves surrounded by the Glass House Mountains. It was early evening and darkness found us at the Coochin Creek campsite. It was mostly a grassy open patch between some very large gum trees with a nice sandy patch for your tent. It did the trick but the rain from previous days made it very damp and the mozzies (mosquitoes) were out in full force. After a quick bite and glass of wine in the confines of the tent to stay dry and bug free, we called that a night. In the future we will probably give this site a miss...

We were up and about early the next moring anxious to get to our other destination. We we heading to the Great Sandy National Park - Cooloola section. The famous Fraser Island is also part of this park.

En route, we spotted a sign indicating fresh veggies for sale so we stopped. When we pulled in by the sign, we were greated by the farmer. His name was Allan and we struck up a great conversation. He had fresh corn and told us all about growing it. In fact, he told us they eat it raw. We were a bit suprised and he made us try it. It was the sweetest corn we'd ever tasted! Allan told us about the local snakes that we should be aware of, the eastern brown and the taipan. He had two large brownies in and arround his field but did not bother removing them. In fact his oldest son had suprised a brownie that had attempted to bite him. Lucky for him the snake hit his leather boots three times before he managed to defend himself. Most of the time the snakes left Allan and his family alone and he did the same. Just don't go wandering arround in your thongs he warned. :Wow1: After buying 12 ears of corn, we continued to chat once he found out that we were "visitors" to this great country. Allan is a very proud Australian and was excited for us to have come here to explore and contribute to Australia. We had lenghty discussions about our jobs, travel plans and expectations. He told us that his father had given him great advice as a young man: "don't join the military unless you really have to, don't work in mines and don't become a farmer like I did". So far Allan had managed to do everything on the list of dont's! Unfortunately I did not think to take a photo, but we will be visiting Allan again some day. Here's a picture of his corn and it was the brightest corn we had ever seen and it tasted great that evening for supper.

IMG_2212.jpg

More coming

Last edited:

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Finding Freswater Campground.

We decided to stop in an see a very important location if you are heading to Fraser Island. The community of Rainbow Beach where you can stock up on supplies and fuel before the final push to Fraser. From Rainbow Beach you can follow the beach route or the inland route to Inskip point to catch a barge that will bring you to the shores of Fraser. Allan had warned us about driving up the beach from Teewah to Rainbow Beach mostly because of the notorious Mudlo Rocks. Apparently they have "eaten" more than their fare share of 4WD vehicles over the years. The local pub has a the "rock wall of shame" with many photos of the victims over the years. We did not go see it, instead we walked the beach to see these rocks first hand.

The view walking down to the beach. You could exit at this point if you were to drive the beach from the South up to this point.
IMG_2179.jpg

Just a cool looking rock amongst all the others.
IMG_2181.jpg

One of these things just doesn't belong...
IMG_2184.jpg

A little closer perhaps...
IMG_2185.jpg

If the tide and sand conditions are just right, you can drive arround/over them but let's just say I would not risk it. Here's a Youtube video showing what you are in for should you choose to challenge the rocks vs. the sand and sea...

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Heading to Freshwater...

After relaxing along Rainbow Beach it was time to make our way to our camp site for the evening. We were going to Freshwater campground. There are two access routes to this site. One from Tewah beach or another along a 4WD track accessible from Rainbow Beach Road. We went via the 4WD track from Rainbow Beach road.

This was an exciting drive because it was the first dirt that we would experience with the cruiser and also the first time the 4WD lever would be engaged. I was all smiles as we were driving along the 16 Km road.

Typical shot from the track.
IMG_2188.jpg

We went straight to our site to set up camp so that the tent and bedding would have a chance to dry out after the previous night's rain. This campsite was simply amazing. Nice sandy areas shaded by tall trees for you to put up your tent. The sites were 500m inland from the beach, had coin operated hot showers and untreated water available at various points in the campground. Unfortunately campfires are not permitted but we could understand given the high chance of bush fires. They even had free gas barbecues in the nearby day-use area.

The best part for me was the proximity to the beach and this picture explains it all...
IMG_2190-fixed.jpg

The views looking down the beach...
IMG_2191.jpg

IMG_2194.jpg

This was absolutely fantastic. We went for a little spin (750 m) down the beach then decided to park and go for a swim. These waters are home to a few hazards mainly sharks and box jellyfish. We did not go too far in, mainly 12" or so plus the waves but it was great to feel the sand beneath your toes and the waves splashing on your skin. This is what it's all about.

Stay tunned...

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Pierre. The lighthouse I mentioned that I'm involved with is at the end of the point in the distance.
IMG_2184.jpg

Don't believe everything you're told. Boxjellies only like still hot water up North and yes there are sharks but attacks on warm open surf beaches in Queensland are very rare. Bull sharks attacks are more common in the canals or murky water. Rips and undertows are more a problem on that stretch. People have drowned there.

If you go up to the end of this beach in the distance

IMG_2194.jpg

it's really nice on a North Easterly and walk over or drive around the headland and there is a really special spot protected on a SouthEasterly. The diving and swimming around there is awesome. No large rivers nearby so it's always clear and in the season the whales swim right next to the headland on their way into Hervey bay.

And I live only a few kays from the end of these dunes. Cool pics mate. Drop in next time.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Don't believe everything you're told. Boxjellies only like still hot water up North and yes there are sharks but attacks on warm open surf beaches in Queensland are very rare. Bull sharks attacks are more common in the canals or murky water. Rips and undertows are more a problem on that stretch. People have drowned there.

And I live only a few kays from the end of these dunes. Cool pics mate. Drop in next time.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated! Everything is new and different from what we know so it's a case of take the safe route in most cases. I might suprise you one of these days and drop in...:sombrero:

kcowyo

ExPo Original
That lucky SOB Pierre said:

:bowdown:

Your mixing of diesel LC's, the coast and veggie farmers into one great tale is so... so... PERFECT!

It's really quite infuriating to someone like me.... :mixed-smiley-030:

Please come back home soon P. I can't take much more of this....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles