Being broke in by our 1997 HZJ80R Landcruiser

jim65wagon

Glad you're having fun, Pierre. Can't wait to see more!

What is it about a beach; even just a photograph of a beach; that makes me feel relaxed and happy?

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
KC,
I'm hoping to be here for a bit longer. Perhaps a trip over to OZ would help cure your feelings...

durango_60,
I've read more than my share of envious threads, this is my attempt to do something about it! :elkgrin:

jim65wagon,
It's really hard to beat the relaxing effects of beach, sand and surf.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Beach, Sand Bubbler Crabs and Ice cream trucks...

Another teaser shot, pardon the beer belly and white skin!

IMG_2210.jpg

After speding a bit of time cooling off in the water, we wandered arround the beach and found something cool that caught our eye...

IMG_2206.jpg

A different view...

IMG_2204.jpg

Apparently these sand "bubbles" are made by the Sand Bubbler Crabs as they clean out their burrow. Saw a few of these little guys along the beach but did not get a picture of them. Perhaps next time. You always need a "reason" to return to a magical palce down the road and this was as good as any...

Just for fun, here's Martha showing off the Aussie flag for our friends and family back home.
IMG_2202.jpg

More to come...

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Beach, Sand Bubbler Crabs and Ice cream trucks...

As we were getting ready to leave, I saw a truck pull up the beach and stop. A few seconds later, some vehicles that were literally blasting past (50 - 80 Km/h) pulled some hard stops and U-turns. I was wondering what was happening but could not quite figure it out untill both vehicles resumed their travels towards us and it all became quite clear...

IMG_2235.jpg

Ice cream or ice for your esky anyone? Full service right on the beach, boy the Aussies have this beach culture down pat!

We returned to the campsite for a bit of supper and re-organizing. I had been less than satisfied with our current storage arrangement. So we had a cold beer and discussed what we should do with the provided drawers and space. We concluded the following:
  1. You need to access your food and food preparation items 3 times a day.
  2. Having your camp chairs, tables and glasses easy to get to also helps for a quick break.
  3. Sleeping/camp set up items are only needed once a day or less.
  4. Recovery items and tools need to be accessible at all times.

The end result was:
  1. Tools and recovery in left hand sliding drawer.
  2. Food preparation, stove, chairs and table in right hand sliding drawer.
  3. Food case on left hand side of sliding platform.
  4. Fridge freeze on right hand side due to fridge slide.
  5. Sleeping bags, sleeping pads and tent on left hand side behind/arround food case.

IMG_2215.jpg

This layout provides easy access to all our food, camp items, tools and recovery gear.

I was happy with the newly organized set up so I had to celebrate with a nice glass of red wine. Can you blame me, this is hard work!

IMG_2213.jpg

After supper, we went for a stroll down the beach to catch the sunset.
IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2220.jpg

Life is good!

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
Leaving is never easy...

On Sunday morning, we decided it was time for a bit of exercise after spending much of the time behind the wheel. We did an easy bushwalk that took us to the now dry Freshwater Lake. It was an easy stroll in the morning but it was already very hot when we set off.

IMG_2231.jpg

The hike was nice. When we returned Martha spotted this guy trying to hide behind a tree.

IMG_2234.jpg

We finished packing up and decided to give the beach a go on the return trip. The tide conditions were perfect, low tide at 1:15 pm, we got under way at 11:30 am giving us lots of time and hard sand for the drive South. We made our way slowly along the beach, taking in the views, enjoying the scenery, smells and feeling of warm air blowing in your face as we cruised down the beach towards Tewantin. The odd local racing past us in a hurry to get somewhere, not sure where. Besides why would you be in such a rush to leave this place?

Cooloola held one more "gift" for us before we left. This perfect spot for a rest, bite to eat and another swim...

IMG_2238.jpg

As with all road trips and adventures, you feel a bit of sadness as you prepare to return to life's everyday grind. We came to explore this area not expecting much, but how magnificient it was. We will return someday...untill next time happy trails. :safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne