Tea in the Bush?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
No glaikit and grotty coffee or cup of septic tank joe here please. Let's talk char after you pass that Grey Poupon please. Tom tit, ye just ran out of both bagged and loose leaves. The question, what can be used locally?

Do you brew/have you brewed?

1. Mormon tea
  2. Dried mesquite leaves
  3. Pine needles

kcowyo

ExPo Original
I have included two Chai tea bags in my chicken box soley for you after finding out your disdain for coffee. True story....

Uhhh.. the chicken box is actually my kitchen box, but I got drunk one night in camp and kept calling it my chicken box.

"Where's my @#%* chicken box?!"

Now I just say it out of habit. Also a true story...

:coffeedrink:

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Around this neck of the woods the two traditional backwood teas are Birch Bark and Sassafras. My grandparents brewed both quite regularly and my dad always kept a pot bewing on the fire drum while we were logging during the winter months. As far as the Birch tea goes, black birch and red birch, are the two subspecies to use. Birch tea has the sweeter flavor of the two. I like the taste of sassafras better and often chew a twig of sassafras while hiking.

An after thought....What is Mormon tea? I've never heard of it before.

Last edited:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Great thread!

I always pack my tea, never thought of finding it locally. What would be available around say... Death Valley?

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Great thread!

I always pack my tea, never thought of finding it locally. What would be available around say... Death Valley?

Screw pod Mesquite is a local plant used as tea by native Americans in the Death Valley region. It's supposed to help with stomach ailments.

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
Mormon tea is ephedra, right? If I knew what it looked like I'd certainly love to try it. Is it found in the Mojave?

IH8RDS

Explorer
I always was to scared to use locally procured tea. I usually pack a zip lock bag with loose leaf chi that I bought in Turkey, but I never use it and just drink coffee.:sombrero:

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
gettin' all right-hand-drive and stuff

Have to take mental notes when I talk to Dr. Graham Jackson as he can spew stuff like that endlessly (almost...natively).

Mormon tea I find more in the high desert, all over Southern Utah. Roasted mesquite beans brew more of a coffee, no? (I've never tried it).

KC, I eagerly await a camp somewhere further up North where I can partake of said Chai, I'll bring some raw Mesquite honey...

7wt

Expedition Leader
Great thread!

Me too. I get my tea from Teavana. They have these neat little airtight containers that are great to take camping. Nothing like a good old Irish breakfast teat in the morning to start the day. I can't do coffee at all.

http://www.teavana.com/

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Nothing like a good old Irish breakfast teat in the morning to start the day

I'm surprised you can find one still willing and able to nurse once they get older...:Wow1:

OK, I really need to delete this post but it's to good to pass up...

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
Bergamont Monarda didyma makes a good Earl Gray substitute.
Yarrow Achillea millefolium bla
Fireweed Epilobium angustifoliumFloral tasting like a hybicus
and the fruit of Staghorn Sumac Rhus typhina makes a nice citrus like tea. I have been known to make Staghorn Sumac margaritas in the past. :coffeedrink:

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Me too. I get my tea from Teavana. They have these neat little airtight containers that are great to take camping. Nothing like a good old Irish breakfast teat in the morning to start the day. I can't do coffee at all.

http://www.teavana.com/

That's cool, kinda seems like the same thing I use. I have been using http://www.republicoftea.com/ for about the last 6yrs and really enjoy the quality of tea. Coffee isn't my thing either.

If you sign up for their mailing list they will send you a sample with the catalog of their latest.

kellymoe said:
Screw pod Mesquite is a local plant used as tea by native Americans in the Death Valley region. It's supposed to help with stomach ailments.

Kevin, thanks for the heads up... time to do a little research!

Blueberry

Leaves of wild berries (raspberry, strawberry or blueberry) make a decent drink - either on their own or mixed with some pine needles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94