The Price of Children

hrjaw

Explorer
this was nice to read as I have my first one on the way and am looking forward to a lot of the things mentioned (an exception on the first date if it is a girl :sombrero:).

RedDog

Explorer
I think it has to be clarified that the $24./day number is not just food but amortized total costs. That would include over the years, furniture, bedding, clothing, deductions on dental costs, insurance costs, additional water and power, laundry (a full load of water for ONE pair of jeans), band instrument rental fees, dance fees, sports fees, school fees, swimming lessons, summer camp, library cards, etc., etc., etc. A co-worker just had a $600. weekend for a hockey tournament several hundred miles away. It all adds up - hotels, fuel, food, parking, etc. A few trips like that and the vehicle needs an oil change and service again.

I have no children, but I've been blessed with a step-daughter in my life whom I would die for without hesitation. She is the most perfect thing on earth.

Buckru

Observer
I have a 1.5 yo son and a 3.5 yo daughter. It is amazing how much joy and stress they can bring at the same time.

It is an inner struggle for me at times. Wanting them to stay the age they are now but knowing my job is to raise them so they can go make their mark in the world.

I recently thanked my dad for all that he has taught me and done for me in my life. His reply was not what I expected. He said "outside of the fundamentals of life, the only thing I ever did was provide you with opportunities. You did the rest"

durango_60

Explorer
$24 a day seems low to me. Many thousands of dollars extra per year per child on health care, increased life insurance for both parents, larger vehicles (yes when other cars don't even have enough seat belts), fuel for commuting to mandated schooling, frequent copays, organic foods for the first few years, clothing and shoes seemingly every week, endless laundry, lights left on, loss of sleep causing loss of career promotions, extra cooking, sippy cups and onesies, high chairs, &c &c. Priced a car seat lately, strollers, hot bath water and bubble soap, crib, baby monitor. I could go on and on and on :) Don't get me started on the price vs. value of pre-school.

I've been to your house, your kids certainly have an above average lifestyle.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
Dr. Durango, I should say the same for you, but I would sincerely hope their lifestyle is due to the love we give :)

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I too thought $24.24 a day sounded cheap. Kids are "Simply" amazing, where else are you allowed to be a teacher and a student at the same time.

Then again, I still enjoy hanging out with my father, so myabe it just runs in the family.

durango_60

Explorer
Dr. Durango, I should say the same for you, but I would sincerely hope their lifestyle is due to the love we give :)

Dr., wow, I'm flattered. Yes, I'd say my children will have a significantly higher price tag than the average. Thank goodness the love is free.

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Seems high to me. $24 a day? What are they eating out for every meal and going to Starbucks before school?

C'mon Dave! How many dollars worth of chew toys does Dixie go through in the average week? I've seen the pics... ;)

Lots of unexpected costs arise with kids... $24 a day? Well I've never done the math as it doesn't really matter. They are still a better investment than anything else.

Some things you just can't put a price on. And some things don't fully make sense until you try it yourself. I would put parenthood at the top of that list.

:campfire:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles