Scuba Tank for On Board air... stupid qestion?

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Can a scuba tank be used for onboard air? I can get one cheaply, but wondering if it will be worth it to make the changeover? The tanks I have access to are 80 Cu/ft, and had hydro at 4/05.

~James

IH8RDS

Explorer
I think that scuba tanks are not up to par pressure wise. I think co2 tanks are upwards of 1800psi. I use a small 40lb co2 tank I bought from a welding supplier.

StumpXJ

SE Expedition Society
Hmmm...Not sounding good thus far.... anyone else know for sure?

Thanks guys!

~James

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I'm sure it could be used but not sure about the pressure rating. If it's low you might not get much benefit. Also, the regulator may not flow enough CFM to make it as useful as a Powertank or similar product.
Jason T.

I have an aviation oxygen tank that I intend to convert to on-board air use. However, it is not as simple as just re-purposing the tank. In my case the cylinder is green and stenciled; Aviator Oxygen. No one will fill this tank with anything except oxygen as it is presently marked and I'm sure you can figure our why. I will have to take it to a gas supply company that will test it, bead blast it, repaint it, and refit the adapter. Only then will I be permitted to fill it with anything other than oxygen. I bought the tank at an estate sale for somewhere around $20 and the above work will be an additional $100. At some point you're just better off buying the proper CO2 tank to begin with.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Scuba tanks are 3000 psi. You can get them rated higher, but 3k is most common.

Unregulated Co2 is around 800 psi.

Co2 is stored as a liquid, and expands to a gas. You can hold more Co2 in a given space than you can air. A container filled with Co2 will give roughly the same volume expanded as that same container filled to 4500psi with compressed air (what scuba tanks use).

KG6BWS

Explorer
scuba tanks work BEAUTIFULLY!!! i used one for quite awhile. holds about 3000lbs of air. just remember that youll only get about 6 to 10 fills on it, depending. i have 265/75's and i could go from 18 to 40 in about 35 seconds or so.

also remember to pad it REALLY well. i didnt and my tank got the anodizing worn off and they wouldnt recertify the tank. it doesnt take much to get a tank rejected. mine had a very slight gouge in it where it rubbed on the side of the bed. in retrospect i should have padded it so that it cant rub on ANYTHING that is even remotely hard enough to scratch it.

otherwise, theyre a great source of air if you already have the tank.

im also assuming that youre a certified diver. if youre not, then youre going to have a hard time getting it filled. MOST places require a SCUBA certification card to fill a high pressure tank.

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
The bigest problem I am having is finding a high pressure, high volume regulator that is "cost effective".
I have several 4500 psi SCBA bottles. I fill them at the fire department. I would love to use one for on board air, but have yet to find a small inexpensive regulator.
The regulators I have found cost more than a complete CO2 system would cost.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
A scuba tank would work fine Just get a air chuck for it from the 1st stage and you should be good to go, AL tanks can be hot filled up to 3800psi and once cool level off at 3500psi, steel tanks can go higher. If the tank will pass a visual inspection process or VIP your good, once every 5 years you need a hydro $35-$75 AL tanks don't usually make it through 2 Hydro's. We USE our tanks and they last about 9 years or so before they develop cracks on the inside.

Aaron

KG6BWS

Explorer
i used an old first stage as well. just pick a port for the air hose and plug the rest. works like a charm.

jnaut

Observer
I think that scuba tanks are not up to par pressure wise. I think co2 tanks are upwards of 1800psi. I use a small 40lb co2 tank I bought from a welding supplier.

Negatory. A standard Aluminum 40cu scuba tank will do 3000lbs of pressure. Honestly, I can't think of a reason why you couldn't use a scuba tank.

jnaut

Observer
I have an aviation oxygen tank that I intend to convert to on-board air use. However, it is not as simple as just re-purposing the tank. In my case the cylinder is green and stenciled; Aviator Oxygen. No one will fill this tank with anything except oxygen as it is presently marked and I'm sure you can figure our why. I will have to take it to a gas supply company that will test it, bead blast it, repaint it, and refit the adapter. Only then will I be permitted to fill it with anything other than oxygen. I bought the tank at an estate sale for somewhere around $20 and the above work will be an additional $100. At some point you're just better off buying the proper CO2 tank to begin with.

That's why you'd want a standard scuba tank. You fill it with air, not O2. However, because a scuba tank operates at such high pressures, you will need to get it spec tested once a year (if I remember correctly). Sure, you can fill them yourself (if you have the compressor) but that's not advisable because that tank inspection saves lives. And a shop won't fill it unless they see a current sticker on it.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
That's why you'd want a standard scuba tank. You fill it with air, not O2. However, because a scuba tank operates at such high pressures, you will need to get it spec tested once a year (if I remember correctly). Sure, you can fill them yourself (if you have the compressor) but that's not advisable because that tank inspection saves lives. And a shop won't fill it unless they see a current sticker on it.

Yes this isn't something to 1/2 azz the DOT takes a vested interest in controlling the inspections to save lives. To put it in perspective a 80 cubic foot tank with 3500 psi placed under a freight car and detonated can lift the loaded freight car 3' into the air with equal explosion distribution. The CO2 would be safer because the pressure is lower but if you have a Scube tank already it's a cheap upgrade to make it functional.

Aaron

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94