Detroit 'Hop'

Pad

Adventurer
Occasionally my Detroit locker (locked until opened) doesn't open so smooth.
Happens at slow speeds (5mph>on pavement), making a turn, go to accelerate and WHAM!
I wouldn't think twice about chirping, but when the rear end goes to 'unwind' its like driving over a curb. Tire air time!
I'm not complaining just wondering if others have the same 'occasional' story.

Pad

greg mgm

Explorer
The first few times the locker in my GMC truck made that WHAM sound, I thought the axle split in 2!! Actually I think it's more of a BAM sound :)

I've run that Detroit (rear axle) for over 10 years so far, with cabover campers, long distance driving, plowing snow, etc without a single problem.

Pad

Adventurer
OK, I didnt think anything was breaking but I sure did do 'what just broke' inspection after the first couple times. Fearing what I may find laying in the road.
Good testimony Greg.
On the bright side sure helps do a shakedown test.

atavuss

Adventurer
I ran a Detroit Locker in the rear of my daily driver CJ7 for many years until I just got tired of it. took it out and run a limited slip in it now. you can imagine how much of a handful a locker in a narrow, short wheelbase vehicle can be.

When I was drag racing, I remember that one could always tell which cars were running Detroit's... " ker-chunk-ker-chunk-ker-chunk-ker-chunk " every time they turned.

Last edited:
I have a BJ40 Landcruiser with a Detroit Soflocker in the rear and ARB in the front. I virtually never need the ARB. Even where I live, where roads are icy 5 months per year, I've avoided spinouts by using 4WD whenever there is ANY ice on the streets and roads. 40 series LCs are very easy to shift in and out of 4WD.
4WD completely mitigates any unpleasant handling characteristics of a rear locker.

Charlie

half-cab

Detroit Lockers are sensitive to small changes in tire pressure from side to side. I try to keep mine within 1 psi of each other. Also, try coasting through a corner instead of accelerating through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles