Trail snacks

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
There is a German Butcher here in Sacramento that makes them. I will have to stop and pick some up. Will report back with the review......

Markus

Cool. We used to have a butcher here in Ripon that made tidbits like that. There is a large Dutch community here.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Aaaarrrgg! Curses. The only place we can get it from is 1,500 miles away, now I'm going to have to order some.
Not sure if you mean droëwors specifically or just similar type meats, but have you tried Continental Sausage down in Cherry Creek? They have Landjäger, Bündnerfleisch, a bunch of other kinds of Wurst and salami, ham, sausages. Also Helga's Deli over in Aurora generally has a good selection of different German meat.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
Not sure if you mean droëwors specifically or just similar type meats, but have you tried Continental Sausage down in Cherry Creek? They have Landjäger, Bündnerfleisch, a bunch of other kinds of Wurst and salami, ham, sausages. Also Helga's Deli over in Aurora generally has a good selection of different German meat.
Awesome, Thanks. I'll check it out.

RVR2RSQ

Observer
Clementines

I like to put them in the bottom of the fridge so they get to the point of almost freezing (slushy). :D

THEN MY FINGERS SMELL LIKE ORANGES THE REST OF THE TRIP.

6Pins

Adventurer
besides the usual stuff (nuts, dried fruit, etc.) I like dried squid. I have to shop at Asian groceries for it now, but as a little kid in Hawaii it was everywhere.

swanyo

Observer
besides the usual stuff (nuts, dried fruit, etc.) I like dried squid. I have to shop at Asian groceries for it now, but as a little kid in Hawaii it was everywhere.

I just got introduced to dried squid when I was in Hong Kong 2 months ago. It is very addicting, was hard to get used to the smell. They had several different flavors and I liked them all, I need to go find a local market that has it stocked. Thanks for the reminder!

Connie

Is it legal to post dried meat to the States? Namely droewors or biltong.
Doubtful, you see they might contain mad cow disease or pickle brained antelope disorder or whatever and then I might feed them to a cow (yeah right, like anyone would let one morsel escape them).
We weren't allowed to bring any animal product back with us through the U.S. border.

But maybe it could be labeled as "Educational material" like the "Olive oil";) that my inlaws had shipped in from SA 20 years ago.

proto

Adventurer
In the States, I usually just break down and get the Costco trail mix with fruit. Or stroll down their dried-fruit aisle and make up a custom mix. That's also where I get my favorite: Pacific Gold Turkey Jerky.

I've dabbled with making my own protein/energy bars. I like the Alton Brown recipe (on the web). They're pretty good tasting compared to off-the-shelf bars, but I like them because they kill the hunger immediately without a big sugar crash later. Problem is, they don't keep indefinitely. And you have to buy ingredients in such large quantities that it only makes sense if you're prepping for a big group. But then once I start munching, I can't stop until they're all gone . . . so, no problem.

If AB's bars are too much trouble, there's a company called Matisse and Jack’s that sells a mix for making your own custom bars. Good. In fact, delicious! Definitely better than the homemade AB bars, but more expensive.

If you can get corn flour (not corn meal) try Ultralight Joe's Moose Goo: basically honey and peanut butter thickened with a little corn flour spread on a toasted tortilla. mmmm . . . Some people bake it into cookies and such.

The GF likes those Rice Krispy squares things (simple to make, but too sweet). But then her specialty is deep-fried mac-and-cheese!

My wife make Granola bars for the family, which taste awsome, are good for you and are very filling. :wings:

And, because I'm super pickey, I make my own trail mix. Special ingredient is Chipotle Corn Nuts. I can only find them on the Whole Foods near Alameda and Wadsworth, wich sucks since I live in Brighton, but it's worth it :victory:

Connie

I've seen that, and always wondered what you do with it. So just eat it straight out of the bag?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles