Trail snacks

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Two things i've been enjoying lately....

1st is the old trusty Trail Mix from Henry's or other farmers markets. The ones with caramel, dried fruit and yogurt are the best. And some M&M's are a must. The best part is you can load up and mix up from their large bins with a shovel, so you'll have enough for months :D
g384.jpg

The second is a dried snack called Landjager. A german buddy introduced it to me. It's really tasty. Soldiers used to carry and eat it because it doesn't need refrigeration. It can be left in your rig for a long time without you ever having to worry. You can find it at a German Deli. The best part about landjager is that it goes great with a ice cold beer at camp after a hard day run :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landjäger

640px-Landjäger.jpg

What do you guys snack on while out on a trip?

Since I have a potentially life threatening peanut allergy, I make my own trail mix. I use cashews and almonds that are guaranteed peanut-free. I usually carry snack foods for lunch and cook for dinner. Lunch can include dried fruits, tree nuts, dried preserved meats, short bread, and Wasa bread. On a trip in Alaska last fall, I bought dried mango at Costco. Of course it's mostly sugar, but it is sure good. I haven't eaten m&m's since I was a kid. The labeling has probably improved, but when I was a kid, they cut the chocolate in m&m's with peanut dust, but did not include it in the listed ingredients. Peanut allergies have certainly become a lot more common, but when I was a kid it was rare and a lot of people failed to realize how important it was.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
A supply of droewors is always good. Lucky for me I have a shop nearby that supplies Kudu, Springbok, and Ostrich droewors.
It's much nicer (imho) than the german dried sausages which are nice but only in small doses.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
A supply of droewors is always good. Lucky for me I have a shop nearby that supplies Kudu, Springbok, and Ostrich droewors.
It's much nicer (imho) than the german dried sausages which are nice but only in small doses.
Aaaarrrgg! Curses. The only place we can get it from is 1,500 miles away, now I'm going to have to order some.

There is only one perfect snack for overlanding (long medevacs also)....PB&J. Extra-crunchy peanut butter, Knott's Berry Farm Boysenberry preserves on multi-grain bread. Has everything you need; protein, carbs, fat, grains.

Cypher

Full Time Traveler
Trail mix, which I usually make my self (walnuts, pecans, penuts, almonds, cranberries, raisins, chocolate, sunflower seeds, cashews). Beef jerky, dried fruits, bananas, apples, nectarines, Odwalla bars (good stuff just expensive), granola bars, lots of water and the occasional Gatorade. I usually have some combination of this with me. I look for stuff that has good natural sugar content to keep me going like the fruits, good protien, and the good fatty acids like the nuts.

Mmm.. I am hungry now! :chowtime:

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Two things i've been enjoying lately....

1st is the old trusty Trail Mix from Henry's or other farmers markets. The ones with caramel, dried fruit and yogurt are the best. And some M&M's are a must. The best part is you can load up and mix up from their large bins with a shovel, so you'll have enough for months :D
g384.jpg

The second is a dried snack called Landjager. A german buddy introduced it to me. It's really tasty. Soldiers used to carry and eat it because it doesn't need refrigeration. It can be left in your rig for a long time without you ever having to worry. You can find it at a German Deli. The best part about landjager is that it goes great with a ice cold beer at camp after a hard day run :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landjäger

640px-Landjäger.jpg

What do you guys snack on while out on a trip?
Looks good, Where can you get them in the states?

Applejack

Explorer
Always gotta have some jerky or pepperoni sticks, sunflower seeds and some kind of fruit leather or similar fruit snack. Not the gummy kinds, *real* fruit.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Other than the typical trail mix, I like eating dried mangos, dried lemon peels, and dried orange peels.

When I bring Gummi Bears, it's a hit with my friends.

offroadchef

Adventurer
Do tell where to order from! Of course, I can always ask my Oma & Opa to send some over.:chef:

There is a German Butcher here in Sacramento that makes them. I will have to stop and pick some up. Will report back with the review......

Markus

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles