Winches: Warn 9.5xp vs. Superwinch EP9.0

asteffes

Explorer
I've read some rather inflamitory debate about Warn vs. Superwinch without coming away with a clear answer as to whether one is better than the other. Since we have some local vendors (Pangaea and Expedition Exchange) who each carry one of the two, as well as many people with experience with both, I thought I would ask for your thoughts on the matter.

I'm considering puting a winch in at the same time I get my ARB bumper (the plan is later this month) to have in time for the Expedition Trophy 2006.

The immediate differences I see are:

The EP9.0 was designed for use with synthetic ropes, with the brake mechanicals set outside the drum to prevent overheating the rope. Does this matter? Seems like it might not unless I'm lowering myself or someone else down a hill or something. Does this happen much?

The EP9.0 is $300 less expensive, and includes a snatch block and roller fairlead. Plus one for value, assuming quality is on par with Warn.

The 9.5xp is said to have the best motor around. Is this true? Do I need the absolute best motor?

Warn's quality seems to be undisputed. I've never heard of a Warn burning up (smoking, perhaps, but not outright failing, though I'm sure it's happened to someone, somewhere.) Superwinch seems to have their supporters but also some vague doubt about their ultimate brute strength or reliability. Comments?

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

asteffes

Explorer
I compared the 9.5xp to the EP9.0 believing that they were similar-generation winches intended to compete with one another. Perhaps an analogous comparison would be the Warn XD9000 and Superwinch X9, which are about the same price ($830 vs. $900) and appear to have similar features.

In any case, if one of these four winches is definitively better than the rest, I would love to hear why. Price efficiency is important here, as I don't have an unlimited budget for new toys. The EP9.0's price is incredibly attractive, but only if it's truly a good value and won't let me down when I need it.

Nullifier

Expedition Leader
well here go the opinions. Of which I'm in the minority. But I don't really care for warn personally. I have seen to many of them fail. I'm talking about burnt up, got wet and won't work, to controler issues. I have never seen any super winches fail and the local 4wd shop seels alot of them. Personally I have used a ramsey patriot profile for over 3 years. Mine gets used alot from vehicles to clearing property. I just had my first problem where the enguaging leaver broke off. Ramsey is sending a whole new assembly no questions asked.

Now in the realistic side of things I'm sure the overall quality of the warn is good or they wouldn't be as big as they are. however I personally would be all over the super winch if it was only between those 2 winches.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
This is neither here nor there, but Warn is coming out with a version of the 9.5ti with a built in compressor that supposedly has a high enough flow rate to power air tools without a tank. Retails for about $1400. I was told they will be taking orders in October and shipping in November.

Scott Brady

Founder
save yourself a bunch of money and buy the M8000. best overall value period. I have used them for years with great success, and they can be built super light with synthetic line and composite fairlead.

If you need more capacity, use a pulley block.

Scott Brady

Founder
bigreen505 said:
This is neither here nor there, but Warn is coming out with a version of the 9.5ti with a built in compressor that supposedly has a high enough flow rate to power air tools without a tank. Retails for about $1400. I was told they will be taking orders in October and shipping in November.

Now that is a damn novel idea! :clapsmile

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
expeditionswest said:
Now that is a damn novel idea! :clapsmile

Yes, depending on the amp draw when the compressor is running, and the physical size of the unit. I think it has potential....

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
I have a PDF brochure on the forthcoming Warn PowerPlant. I think its a pretty good idea, although I certainly have questions - longevity? air compressor performance? submersible? maintenance? size hinder air flow?

I personally tend to stay away from "swiss-army knife" appliances such as this, but Warn might be able to pull it off. :)

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
cshontz said:
I have a PDF brochure on the forthcoming Warn PowerPlant. I think its a pretty good idea, although I certainly have questions - longevity? air compressor performance? submersible? maintenance? size hinder air flow?

I personally tend to stay away from "swiss-army knife" appliances such as this, but Warn might be able to pull it off. :)

That was my gut reaction too. I probably won't have the funds for a winch until next summer anyway, so I will wait and see. However, it won't work with an ARB style bumper (at least not that I am aware of), so that certainly tempers my enthusiasm.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
That is a cool idea...

Anyone ever used an Oasis OBA system? Basically a stand-alone york powered by something very similar to a winch motor. The Oasis systems kick butt, especially for those that dont have room under the hood for a york system. Go Warn!

As for the Warn versus Superwinch... I've seen plenty of both fail, and even more Ramsey's. But considering there are FAR more Warns out there on the market, I'd say they get the reliability vote. I've run nothing but Warn's on my rigs (XD9i, XD9, 9.5ti, 8274)... never a complaint. :cool:

asteffes

Explorer
Scott: how do you feel about the M8000 vs. EP9.0? The price is very similar. I talked to John at Expedition Exchange about it today, and he said the EP9.0 is a bit wider than the Warn XD9000 and 9.5xt and may not fit all bullbars. I'll have to get some info from ARB on that. He did, however, say he likes the synthetic-friendliness of the EP9.0 and hasn't had any problems with that model. It's very attractive to get a 9000 pound winch for about $600.

Regarding the all-in-one compressor/winch device, I don't care for the idea of combining two important devices into one unit. If it fails, there's a good chance you'll be out your air supply and your winch. And I'll bet it costs more to fix when it breaks than separate winch and compressor units.

Scott Brady

Founder
asteffes said:
Scott: how do you feel about the M8000 vs. EP9.0? The price is very similar. I talked to John at Expedition Exchange about it today, and he said the EP9.0 is a bit wider than the Warn XD9000 and 9.5xt and may not fit all bullbars. I'll have to get some info from ARB on that. He did, however, say he likes the synthetic-friendliness of the EP9.0 and hasn't had any problems with that model. It's very attractive to get a 9000 pound winch for about $600.

John is a sharp guy with lots of product experience, so go with his thoughts on the Superwinch.

I am still a strong believer in the M8000. Lets look at the specs.

M8000

4.8hp
Ratio 216:1
Weight 74 LBS.
0 | 42 Ft. M | 80 amps
4000 | 11.9 Ft. M | 285 amps
8000 | 8.01 Ft. M | 435 amps

EP9000

4.6 HP
Ratio 156:1
Weight 108 LBS.
0 |47.1 Ft. M | 33 amps
4000 | 11 Ft. M | 200 amps
8000 | 7.5 Ft. M | 260 amps

So, we can conclude the following:

1. The EP is more efficient than the M by over 40% at 8000 lbs. which is impressive
2. The EP is 30% heavier, which I consider a negative for a vehicle driven in the desert (where suspension performance is more important than winch performance).
3. The M is faster in all but no load speed

My conclusion would be that the EP: Is slower and stronger overall, but more efficient.
The M: Is faster and lighter.

So go with what works for you. For me, suspension performance is way more important that winch strength and efficiency (with having a dual battery set-up), so I would go with the lighter solution.

With lots of winch pulls I have not had any issues with drum heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94